BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Anyone with pics of MCS installed???

Hi guys, i'm trying to determine if MCS shipped me the right suspension.

1. My front struts are adjusted all the way down to the bottom couple of threads and I'm barely down to OE ZCP height.
(yes cups are fully seated into hub)

2 the rears are the opposite problem, its slammed and I cant get it high enough.
there is a ton of pre-load on the springs to the point I cant turn the height adjusters.
On my Z4MC the rear springs hang free when on the lift.

Any help appreciated guys!
thanks
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

what is the front spring length? they might be too long/tall...
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

That seems like a spring length issue
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Front are 7", which is normal from what I understand

No helpers
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Front are 7", which is normal from what I understand

No helpers
I'm part way through an MCS install - still hasnt hit the ground yet. But Bimmerworld spec'd 6" springs for the front with helpers (which squish down)

Rear is 9" length.
2012 E92 M3 ZCP MCS 2WR coilovers 600F/900R, Performance Friction ZF54 front BBK, stainless lines, Ferodo DS 2500 rear pads, Hotchkins F/R swaybars, solid subframe mounts, BE Bearings, ARP rod bolts, Bimmerworld motor mounts, AFe intake, underdrive, CSF radiator, GT4 front lip (ebay), APR GT 500, ebay side skirts, RaceEng tug, 15mm/10mm spacers on ZCP wheels, Apex ARC 8 18x10 square track wheels with Pirelli 265 DH slicks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Hi guys, i'm trying to determine if MCS shipped me the right suspension.

1. My front struts are adjusted all the way down to the bottom couple of threads and I'm barely down to OE ZCP height.
(yes cups are fully seated into hub)

2 the rears are the opposite problem, its slammed and I cant get it high enough.
there is a ton of pre-load on the springs to the point I cant turn the height adjusters.
On my Z4MC the rear springs hang free when on the lift.

Any help appreciated guys!
thanks
lol funny i'm also part way through. My fronts are installed and they are pretty low. I think 1/2in worth of thread left.

Should be spring issue like others said. 6in front and 8in rear is usual if you want to sit reasonably low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
I'm part way through an MCS install - still hasnt hit the ground yet. But Bimmerworld spec'd 6" springs for the front with helpers (which squish down)

Rear is 9" length.
What end link did you get. From BW I got 11-12.5" and I almost un-threaded it to get it hooked from sway bar to strut
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_s View Post

What end link did you get. From BW I got 11-12.5" and I almost un-threaded it to get it hooked from sway bar to strut
These sway bars are not free floating like most bars.
When the support brackets are tightened the rubber is in a fixed position.

To install properly you should do them the way we had to do the RTABs on the E46M3.
The rubber mount should be re-positioned to a neutral torsion position then the brackets re tightened.
....they aren't easy to break free and reposition.

I resolved my istallation issues, spring lengths were OK unless you want to go really low up front.
But, if you want a slammed setup, then MCS isn't really the coilover to select anyway.

I have a couple of install notes that I'll post up when I can grab a couple of pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
steven_s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

To install properly you should do them the way we had to do the RTABs on the E46M3.
The rubber mount should be re-positioned to a neutral torsion position then the brackets re tightened.

I resolved my istallation issues, spring lengths were OK unless you want to go really low up front.
But, if you want a slammed setup, then MCS isn't really the coilover to select anyway.

I have a couple of install notes that I'll post up when I can grab a couple of pics.
Thanks for the endlink help, this definitely wasn't as easy/quick as I'd hoped as a DIY job as it never is lol

No I'm sure anyone who puts MCS on their wishlist understands it's not the most cost effective slammed setup (though you could do it with shorter springs...) just replying to your initial comment as to you were lowest on the perch and felt it wasn't lower than ZCP height as MCS and Bimmerworld suggests 6" and 8" F/R for our cars usually.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      04-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
jid2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

MCS with reservoirs is a pretty involved suspension install especially as it is an a la carte kit and there are no cohesive install instructions. I'm nearing completion, had a lot of kids baseball games and plans so didn't get all the time I needed this weekend. A few of my notes.

Wrestling the lower control arm to rear hub alignment to get the bolt in is not fun.

I'm using the ground control articulating rear perches and with the 9" springs I had to cut a section out of the adjustment rod. But I had to complete the install and test fit before cutting - which made double the work.

Make sure to route the resevior hose and can before connecting all the links. Makes it much easier. I choose to mount the damper with the hose towards the wheel as that made more clearance than towards the spring side. But that gives you a bit less hose to work with once you get to mounting the can in the trunk.

In the front the BW adjustable end links comes with busings. They seem to fit into my Hotchkins swaybar but do not fit into the MCS bracket. I had to run directly to the end link fastener - no bushing. Hadn't set length yet, but you can twist the bar to help as said.

There's a balance of negative camber and caster with respect to the top hat hole in the chassis. You can't max out both, unless you cut the chassis.

Placing the cans in the front takes some work on a street car. You need to run the Burger motorsports cabin filters to open up a space for them in the firewall area. You can choose to also get rid of the plastic tray or not.
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs540.50
      06-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Were you able to sort out rear being too low? See you are not running helper spring in front, rears did you choose to use GC articulating perch? I take it no specified "range" is suggested by MCS? As that's all relevant to what spring rate/length, hardware user choices to accompany the setup? Looking fwd to your feedback, impressions, and photos!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Dang, thanks for pointing out this kit doesn't just plug and play.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0