BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

02-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
masamune
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Lease ending - to buy or not to buy?

A sad day is coming in that my lease will be ending. I have a great attachment to the car (as does everyone here!) since I had an awesome ED trip with it. I have thought about it and I can't imagine another car I would get into at this point. The M3 is so much fun to drive, has all the options I want, and is extremely versatile. I just don't know of another car that can match all the points it offers and puts a smile on my face every day. With that said, I can't justify the approximately $50k residual on a 3 year old car that will have 36000 miles on it. And then with the new M3/M4 out soon, that will inevitably depreciate the car even more. Also, the new M3/M4 has not appealed to me much at all and honestly is not vastly different enough from my car for me to care.

So here's my specs:

2011 E93 LMB
Black Novillo interior
Aluminum Trim
DCT
19" 220M
ZCV
ZP2
ZCW
Nav

My options as I see it are:
1) Get another car, but what?
2) Buy it, but I think the residual is insane
3) Negotiate the residual or turn it in and buy it CPO'd?

Any suggestions?
      02-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

If you turn it in, you'll surely lose. If they CPO the car you can add another 2k to the price. As for your residual, it will be hard to get them to budge on it. I'm sure they know the car will bring 50k right now. The owners that come off lease right after the new car is released will have better leverage on the residual buyout. Tough decision for sure but if you are attached to the car go for it.................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

my M3 is a 3 year lease. and has 2 years left. i payed it off when i picked up the car. i think my residual is like 42k. i cant see my self wanting to owe 40k+ on a car this old and outdated by then. maybe i can work them really hard on the residual in two years haha.

I can see where you are coming from. if i had a lot of money i would keep it and buy another car. the E9x m3 is a keeper for sure.

Do you like the new corvettes ? that might be a great car to get into.

I also am staying away from the m4 also.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
nicebraces
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3/'14 Cayenne Turbo S

My 2 cents ... Put money aside and close your eyes, ask yourself if you really like the car: if you even have the slightest hesitation, turn it back in ... BUT, if your baby still brings that wide grin everytime you get behind the wheel, well goddam keep it and enjoy every minute!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

keep it and definitely dont get the new corvette
      02-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by masamune View Post
A sad day is coming in that my lease will be ending...Any suggestions?
As long as you are within the final 60 days of your lease, BMW will discuss a lease extension. Just call and find out the current offer. As long as the payment does not increase, that may be a perfect solution for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
masamune
Rep

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to the dealership tomorrow for service and will talk to their sales people and see what they say about negotiating residual or extending the lease. I didn't think BMW would extend leases unless you are in a contract for a new car, but I could be wrong.
      02-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by masamune View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to the dealership tomorrow for service and will talk to their sales people and see what they say about negotiating residual or extending the lease. I didn't think BMW would extend leases unless you are in a contract for a new car, but I could be wrong.
Don't waste time talking to the dealer. They don't know anything and don't have any authority. From the BMW website "call BMW Financial Services Lease-end Representative at 1-800-959-4269 or send an email to leaseend@bmwusa.com."
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
As long as you are within the final 60 days of your lease, BMW will discuss a lease extension. Just call and find out the current offer. As long as the payment does not increase, that may be a perfect solution for you.
Very interesting, is this true? I thought you can only extend a lease after your term is up only for like 3-6 months. Are you implying there is an ability to create longer terms?
      02-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knolow View Post
Very interesting, is this true? I thought you can only extend a lease after your term is up only for like 3-6 months. Are you implying there is an ability to create longer terms?
They will only extend if you are waiting for a new car to arrive........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I'm Going to be in the same situation in October but my residual is less, but not by much. My decision will be, CPO or get third party warranty? I've heard horror stories about third party stuff.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My 2 cents:

Don't look at the buy out as a "$50k purchase on a 3 year old car". I would look at it as "what other $50k car can I purchase that is as complete of a choice as the M3".

People get hung up about buying a used $50k car but for what the M3 is, there's nothing that I can think of that comes close to all of its strengths for $50k. This is assuming the M3 meets all your wants/needs. Used or new, I can't see any other option(for what I want/need) other than my M3. Or you can always buy a used 2008 in the 30's. :P
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #13
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
You can negotiate the residual. When the time comes to turn it back in, go in the dealer, and tell them "i'll buy this car if you give me a better price than the residual". I did it on my old ZHP; I got 2k off.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
They will only extend if you are waiting for a new car to arrive........Phil
They will do short term extensions without a new car order. They extended my lease by three months with a quick call to BMW FS. Adding another 3 months (6 mos total) required more persuasion but they did it for me on my last M3 (again without a new car on order).
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
They will do short term extensions without a new car order. They extended my lease by three months with a quick call to BMW FS. Adding another 3 months (6 mos total) required more persuasion but they did it for me on my last M3 (again without a new car on order).
I agree with slicer. I received a similar extension on my last lease without a commitment of a new vehicle. However, there is a drawback. The additional monthly payment truly becomes a rental fee. That is, the additional money is not applied to the residual.

BMW leases are good at producing low monthly payments based on the vehicle price but the obvious result is the higher buyout. You may want to contact several dealers including the forum sponsor to obtain a buyout quote.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
I agree with slicer. I received a similar extension on my last lease without a commitment of a new vehicle. However, there is a drawback. The additional monthly payment truly becomes a rental fee. That is, the additional money is not applied to the residual.

BMW leases are good at producing low monthly payments based on the vehicle price but the obvious result is the higher buyout. You may want to contact several dealers including the forum sponsor to obtain a buyout quote.
That should not be the case. The residual is reduced with each additional payment based on the same lease parameters as the original lease (money factor - interest rate, monthly amortization, etc.). I know this for a fact because I ended up buying the car out after the 6 month lease extension. My original lease was at nearly 0% interest so it was in my best interest to extend as long as possible. I would have extended longer than 6 months if they would have allowed it.

Of course BMW may have changed this at some point so I'm basing my statement off of my situation (lease from 2009 that expired in 2012). I would simply check with BMW FS to determine how your actual lease works.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
You can negotiate the residual. When the time comes to turn it back in, go in the dealer, and tell them "i'll buy this car if you give me a better price than the residual". I did it on my old ZHP; I got 2k off.
Where and when did you go to do this?
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Where and when did you go to do this?
A week before the due date, I went to return the car, the lease return department was going over my options, that's when the negotiation was done.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #19
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
A week before the due date, I went to return the car, the lease return department was going over my options, that's when the negotiation was done.
what dealership and date?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #20
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
what dealership and date?
WHen I returned my ZHP? It was December of 2007. Dealership: Shelly BMW. But you have to return it to the dealer that you leased it from.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #21
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
WHen I returned my ZHP? It was December of 2007. Dealership: Shelly BMW. But you have to return it to the dealer that you leased it from.
Thank you. I hope this still holds true today. Anyone do this recently?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

M3's are bringing better than residual right now so it will be very hard to convince the dealer to lower your buyout. Hell, they're hoping you turn it in so they can flip it.......Phil
Appreciate 0