BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

12-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Jack and stands questions

Hi,

Yes, I have searched! And found many useful threads. However I'm a bit unclear on a few things. I'm going to start from scratch with buying a new jack and 4x stands. What I used before is junk.

1) Jack suggestions? Any that can reach the center lift point without raising the car initially? http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Desig...d=6BES1759T2F4 I wouldn't want to spend much more than $300.

2) I know I need the insert for the jack, but what do I need for the jack stands? Typical stands have a mounting point that will need a piece of wood or something so the plastic jack points are not crushed. Are you guys just cutting 4 pieces of wood?

3) Torque wrench - 88lb/ft is what the wheels take? How about this wrench? http://www.amazon.com/Snap-Industria...d=6BES1759T2F4 Something cheaper would be OK, too.

4) I know I need these: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-M3-...l_Tire/ES6225/

5) Suggestions on a rear jacking point are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I am using these for the jack pads:

They work great.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I'm also wondering what people do for jack stands. Also, I would assume that you must always jack from the front and rear (diff) center points. If you jack it up using the jack points, you will have no where to put the stand.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
You can jack up from under the control arms and put the jack stands under the jack points.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
SuitedPair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

5) Suggestions on a rear jacking point are welcome.
immediately behind the diff's cooling fins... The floor jack will rise between the exhaust bends and contact a slightly rounded horizontal support. Just be careful b/c it's slightly rounded. Do a search and you'll find a pic of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

OP - depending how much work you do on your car, you may consider EZCarlift.com

It's not the cheapest thing out there, but if you have a small garage like me, it breaks down and fits under work bench and is rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I am using these for the jack pads:
Interesting. They are more $$ than the ones I linked to, but look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
You can jack up from under the control arms and put the jack stands under the jack points.
The front control arms can take the pressure of a jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedPair View Post
immediately behind the diff's cooling fins... The floor jack will rise between the exhaust bends and contact a slightly rounded horizontal support. Just be careful b/c it's slightly rounded. Do a search and you'll find a pic of it.
Thanks, I will look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
OP - depending how much work you do on your car, you may consider EZCarlift.com

It's not the cheapest thing out there, but if you have a small garage like me, it breaks down and fits under work bench and is rock solid.
I saw that yesterday in my search. Looks neat, but it is too much money. And it says it only supports 4000lbs.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Any thoughts on this?
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1533-Alumi...hu-rd_add_1_dp
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. They are more $$ than the ones I linked to, but look better.

The front control arms can take the pressure of a jack?
Yeah they work well.

Yes, they definitely can.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
I saw that yesterday in my search. Looks neat, but it is too much money. And it says it only supports 4000lbs.
Yeah they are pricey. I have one and it lifts the E92 with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Check out Harbor Freight and their racing jacks. Very low profile with high lift and for a very good price
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
I bought this exact one off Amazon a little over a month ago. Used it a bunch of time swapping wheels on and off.

It works great. Easy few pumps to lift, low height gets under my lowered car easily, no problems with gradually lowering it back down. Plus it is very light (as far as jacks go), which was important for me since I get stuck carrying mine up and down a flight of stairs when I want to use it

I think it was worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
Check out Harbor Freight and their racing jacks. Very low profile with high lift and for a very good price
I haven't bought any tools from HF, but most people I know who have say the quality is not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I bought this exact one off Amazon a little over a month ago. Used it a bunch of time swapping wheels on and off.

It works great. Easy few pumps to lift, low height gets under my lowered car easily, no problems with gradually lowering it back down. Plus it is very light (as far as jacks go), which was important for me since I get stuck carrying mine up and down a flight of stairs when I want to use it

I think it was worth the money.
Thanks for the input! Did you need anything to go on top of the stands, for them to fit into the plastic jack-point-recesses?

Can this jack reach the front mounting point, or do you drive the car on a ramp or onto pieces of wood?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I have this jack also. Very happy with it. Did a TON of shopping looking at about everything under the sun that was similar. This one comes from a US company, with a full parts list and great warranty. Heck it is probably made in Mexico or China but I'm not too fussed. I'm infinitely more comfortable with this unit compared to some Harbor Freight crap. Don't skimp on jack stands or jacks!

My original post on this jack and my shopping process is here.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 03:03 AM   #15
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

I also have the OTC jack and stands. Very pleased, nice stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
I've really wanted a set of the Race Ramps but they are so damn expensive.

I'll definitely have to check out the jack mentioned. Both of my Craftsman jacks were overpriced and not that great.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

That looks like a really good jack. I have two similar Craftsman aluminum racing jacks that were over priced and not as good as I hoped - but - they fit under the car and work pretty well.

I have't bought any yet because I already have 4 jack stands but for this car I think that these would work very well.

http://www.amazon.com/ESCO-Jack-Stan.../dp/B0019JVIPM

This stand will be easier to position the above mentioned jack adapters on.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

... Did you need anything to go on top of the stands, for them to fit into the plastic jack-point-recesses?

Can this jack reach the front mounting point, or do you drive the car on a ramp or onto pieces of wood?
SamS,

I cut 4 small wooden rectangles out of a 2x4 to fit each individual jack point. So whether I'm using a jack there or placing a jack stand, each point has it's protection. Much cheaper than the aluminum billet.

I built makeshift ramps out of 2x12" boards. Each ramp consists of 2 boards, one about 18" and one about 24", stacked together, flush on one end, staggered on the other, and nailed together. I place one in front of each tire and slowly drive up on them. Now the car is raised 3.5" at all 4 corners. Next I can access with my racing jack the front center jack pad behind the bumper and place 2 front jack stands. Then access the rear differential jack point in front of the cooling fins and place the 2 rear stands, using your little blocks of wood in the cups. Now you can have all four wheels off at the same time. Makes brake flushes much easier!

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
SamS,

I cut 4 small wooden rectangles out of a 2x4 to fit each individual jack point. So whether I'm using a jack there or placing a jack stand, each point has it's protection. Much cheaper than the aluminum billet.

I built makeshift ramps out of 2x12" boards. Each ramp consists of 2 boards, one about 18" and one about 24", stacked together, flush on one end, staggered on the other, and nailed together. I place one in front of each tire and slowly drive up on them. Now the car is raised 3.5" at all 4 corners. Next I can access with my racing jack the front center jack pad behind the bumper and place 2 front jack stands. Then access the rear differential jack point in front of the cooling fins and place the 2 rear stands, using your little blocks of wood in the cups. Now you can have all four wheels off at the same time. Makes brake flushes much easier!
Great tips! I will grab some 2x12" boards and try your exact solution. Still not sure what I'll do about the jack points, the wood blocks would obviously be the cheapest solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

This is a better solution unless cost is the only concern.

http://www.raceramps.com/trak-jax.aspx

Also go for the alum adapters... Wood is quick and dirty but when it gets old and dry it can fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
This is a better solution unless cost is the only concern.

http://www.raceramps.com/trak-jax.aspx
Those definitely look nice, but I assume I'll need 4, for ease of use. That is $200 vs $20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
Also go for the alum adapters... Wood is quick and dirty but when it gets old and dry it can fail.
For the front jack point, or the four jack-stand-cups? I've never seen any adapter for the jack stands, just the aluminum adapter for the front jacking point.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #22
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those definitely look nice, but I assume I'll need 4, for ease of use. That is $200 vs $20!

For the front jack point, or the four jack-stand-cups? I've never seen any adapter for the jack stands, just the aluminum adapter for the front jacking point.
What front adapter are you referring to?

The race ramps are expensive but really good. I have two and use a different method for lifting the rear.
Appreciate 0