BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi SQ5

Dinan rear w/RKP Race back to Primary Cats (for emissions) - X-pipe options?

Hey all,

Advice/input needed. My current M3 has got Dinan rears paired with the catless RKP Race X-pipe and I am very happy with the sound, both the tone/rasp and loudness.

However, I am moving to an emissions county (in NC...OBD-II read for pass) for the first time in about ten years and I am considering the switch back to my OEM X-pipe instead of swapping the RKP out once a year. However, Dinan rears plus OEM x-pipe is way too quiet for my liking, so...

I am keeping the Dinan rears on but wanted to see if anyone has got experience with Dinan and variations of the OEM primary cats.

My thoughts right now are:

Dinan rear plus one of the following:
1.) RKP Street (primary OEM cat + secondary cat delete + single resonator)
2.) Fabspeed Secondary Cat Bypass X- Pipe (with resonator)
3.) Fabspeed Secondary Cat Bypass X- Pipe (without resonator)
3.) Fabspeed HFC plus their X-pipe (pretty pricey but "guarantee" no CEL)
4.) Cut secondary cat/resonator off OEM x-pipe

Does anyone have a combo of the options listed above or anything comparable? I am looking to stay emissions passing but keeping tone/rasp/loudness of the current set-up (Dinan + RKP Race)

Links to videos would be an added bonus (I've been searching on the forums/YouTube for a few hours and have found a few already but not much with the Dinan rears)

Thanks!!
13 Mineral White E92 M3 (Sold)
11 Melbourne Red E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFM3 View Post
Hey all,

Advice/input needed. My current M3 has got Dinan rears paired with the catless RKP Race X-pipe and I am very happy with the sound, both the tone/rasp and loudness.

However, I am moving to an emissions county (in NC...OBD-II read for pass) for the first time in about ten years and I am considering the switch back to my OEM X-pipe instead of swapping the RKP out once a year. However, Dinan rears plus OEM x-pipe is way too quiet for my liking, so...

I am keeping the Dinan rears on but wanted to see if anyone has got experience with Dinan and variations of the OEM primary cats.

My thoughts right now are:

Dinan rear plus one of the following:
1.) RKP Street (primary OEM cat + secondary cat delete + single resonator)
2.) Fabspeed Secondary Cat Bypass X- Pipe (with resonator)
3.) Fabspeed Secondary Cat Bypass X- Pipe (without resonator)
3.) Fabspeed HFC plus their X-pipe (pretty pricey but "guarantee" no CEL)
4.) Cut secondary cat/resonator off OEM x-pipe

Does anyone have a combo of the options listed above or anything comparable? I am looking to stay emissions passing but keeping tone/rasp/loudness of the current set-up (Dinan + RKP Race)

Links to videos would be an added bonus (I've been searching on the forums/YouTube for a few hours and have found a few already but not much with the Dinan rears)

Thanks!!
just bring your OEM xpipe with you, and if you are able to keep your NC registration maybe with a family member.. that be ideal too.

but smog here is only every 2 years so swapping your xpipe once every two years isn't a bad thing for smog. just make sure you flash to oem tune also, assuming you also have a tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
just bring your OEM xpipe with you, and if you are able to keep your NC registration maybe with a family member.. that be ideal too.

but smog here is only every 2 years so swapping your xpipe once every two years isn't a bad thing for smog. just make sure you flash to oem tune also, assuming you also have a tune.
I'll still be living in NC, just a different county that tests for emissions and it's yearly here. I would definitely swap if it was every two years, vice a year.

I'm running ESS tune so I do have the capability to swap back to stock. But even swapping to stock tune and x-pipe...please correct me if I am wrong but I wouldn't be able to swap pipe/tune, do OBD read, then swap back to catless all in one go, right? After swapping back to stock xpipe/tune don't I still need to drive around to reset/achieve o2 readiness before the ODB read?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll still be living in NC, just a different county that tests for emissions and it's yearly here. I would definitely swap if it was every two years, vice a year.

I'm running ESS tune so I do have the capability to swap back to stock. But even swapping to stock tune and x-pipe...please correct me if I am wrong but I wouldn't be able to swap pipe/tune, do OBD read, then swap back to catless all in one go, right? After swapping back to stock xpipe/tune don't I still need to drive around to reset/achieve o2 readiness before the ODB read?
you have to do a readiness cycle so that might take 10minutes to a week. after you go to factory tune.

and for some reason i thought you were moving to CALI lmao

but in some states maybe they do have emissions, but they most likely require only one monitor to be active which is probably the main o2 sensor. which most people with tunes and xpipes will still pass with.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
you have to do a readiness cycle so that might take 10minutes to a week. after you go to factory tune.

and for some reason i thought you were moving to CALI lmao

but in some states maybe they do have emissions, but they most likely require only one monitor to be active which is probably the main o2 sensor. which most people with tunes and xpipes will still pass with.
Haha I won't think I'll ever move that far West!

I've got a few options in the short term I might check out but I think I'm just going to end up with the Fabspeed non-resonated secondary bypass X-pipe. I know the ESS tune I run currently will fail plus the fact I'm catless
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #6
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha I won't think I'll ever move that far West!

I've got a few options in the short term I might check out but I think I'm just going to end up with the Fabspeed non-resonated secondary bypass X-pipe. I know the ESS tune I run currently will fail plus the fact I'm catless
funny enough there is one specific county in California that does not require smog check.

but yeah it does suck. just go with the active autowerkz xpipe with the v-band flange so you an swap to their Hi flow cat then back to their catlesss pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #7
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Only have experience with Dinan rear and oem X pipe. I now have a full dinan setup x pipe + rear.

I couldn't see myself going back to oem (or catted) X pipe full time.

The stage 2 tune available with a catless setup just changes the car. I was considering selling the car for an F80 before going catless and it changed my mind completely.

2-3 hours of labor every 2 years + an extension that's usually 3-4 months is a fair trade imo.

Plus I enjoy wrenching on the car so it isn't all that much of a trade off. Makes me appreciate the catless setup even more when it goes back on after emissions.
      10-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #8
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idfkman View Post
Only have experience with Dinan rear and oem X pipe. I now have a full dinan setup x pipe + rear.

I couldn't see myself going back to oem (or catted) X pipe full time.

The stage 2 tune available with a catless setup just changes the car. I was considering selling the car for an F80 before going catless and it changed my mind completely.

2-3 hours of labor every 2 years + an extension that's usually 3-4 months is a fair trade imo.

Plus I enjoy wrenching on the car so it isn't all that much of a trade off. Makes me appreciate the catless setup even more when it goes back on after emissions.
Hah, I know bro that's the issue. I have been dreading the day where I need to go back to the primary cats, because of the sound. All states should be 2 years for emissions instead of the 1...or just get rid of them all together!
Appreciate 1
Idfkman473.00
      10-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #9
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass without resonators...will update when installed!
Appreciate 0