BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
DaveHutchinson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Cayman GT4

A few Q's, Wheel clearcoat peeling, tire warranty, new tire opinions

Hi,

I picked up my new M3 a few weeks ago and while detailing it the other day I noticed the clearcoat is peeling pretty badly on my rear left wheel. When I mentioned this to my dealer they first said to me that it's not a warranty issue since they've never seen this before and that it would be down to my treatment of the wheel to cause this to happen.

I have my car professionally detailed monthly by one of the best detailers in FL and have never had an issue with this on my Porsche, Lexus or HRE wheels on the former. Where do I stand and what should I push for on this one? A new set of ZCP wheels perhaps....

Secondly, while having my Akra installed we noticed a nail in the rear right which much to the mechanics surprise actually made me jump for joy since I bought the wheel/tire warranty when I got the car. My previous warranty on the Porsche paid for itself 6x over and I *still* got a $500 refund when I terminated the policy! Now, do BMW replace the tires on the M3 under their warranty or simply try to fix it? I'd rather a replacement naturally. With Porsche, they had no choice but to replace it due to the speed rating of the tire being unsafe to patch/plug. Is it the same here?

Finally, I know this has been asked a lot.... but I can't seem to find certain info on the Vred's or the Hankook V12's. Currently I do 20-25k a year, mostly on the freeways. I'd like a set of tires that I don't chew through after 5-10k but I can live with that if they're not $600 per wheel. I know the Vred's and the V12's get great press on here but what are they like in terms of longevity? I only ever see reviews on the obvious stuff but $700-900 a set is only a bargain if they last at least as long as the PS2's or Conti's. So what kind of mileage do you get out of the V12's/Vred's?

Thanks and sorry if these have been asked before, I did search but couldn't find what I was looking for specifically.

Dave

Past - Shelby GT350, Aston Martin GT, 991 Carrera S, Ferrari F430, Mclaren MP4-12C, Jaguar F-Type V8S, Nissan GT-R, BMW E92 M3....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

That's rich. The BMW dealer not seeing the issue before doesn't make it not warrantable. The OEM finish is very durable (normally). If you are experiencing problems with only one wheel, you should press for a warranty remedy. They will likely replace the wheel.

Seems like they should replace the tire (because of the speed rating issue). Let us know how that one goes.

The general consensus is that the Vred's will last longer than the PS2's (your experience may vary). There's quite a lot of information in the big Vred thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268043
      03-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The V12's are great tires but IMHO not on the same level as the Vred's. We are lucky enough to have big suppliers for both locally and I almost always choose the Vred's.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
DaveHutchinson
Private
Rep

Thanks for that

If there's a Vred supplier in FL then that's the way I will go.

I have the 19's on my car, how wide can I take the tires front and rear? I'm used to the stance of 305's on my 911 so the 265's look so weedy in comparison!!

Past - Shelby GT350, Aston Martin GT, 991 Carrera S, Ferrari F430, Mclaren MP4-12C, Jaguar F-Type V8S, Nissan GT-R, BMW E92 M3....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yah, if its only one wheel, how could they thell you that its due to the wheel cleaner you are using? My guess is that the wheel was scratched in delivery and fixed either at port or during PDI and an inferior clearcoat was used.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
wheeladdicts
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson View Post
Thanks for that

I have the 19's on my car, how wide can I take the tires front and rear? I'm used to the stance of 305's on my 911 so the 265's look so weedy in comparison!!
Call us up we have direct access to all Vred models.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that

Your 220M wheels are 8.5 and 9.5 inches wide. A 255/35 and and 275/35 are probably as wide as you should go.
      04-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
DaveHutchinson
Private
Rep

Well I got the car back this week. The tire was replaced under the wheel warranty so that's $350 already saved , however they screwed up my wheel while replacing it and scored it pretty badly. I have an appointment in two weeks for them to repair/repaint both rears now at their expense + my trunk as they scratched it when fitting my ZCP rear spoiler.

I think I understand now why when I traded in my 911 C2S, they took it somewhere else to have my HRE P40's removed!

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I got the car back this week. The tire was replaced under the wheel warranty so that's $350 already saved , however they screwed up my wheel while replacing it and scored it pretty badly. I have an appointment in two weeks for them to repair/repaint both rears now at their expense + my trunk as they scratched it when fitting my ZCP rear spoiler.

I think I understand now why when I traded in my 911 C2S, they took it somewhere else to have my HRE P40's removed!
Thanks for the follow up. You would think that with almost all BMW's having painted wheels and a picky owner group that all the dealers would know how to not damage wheels. I've been having cars repaired for over 40 years. Seems like more often than not they come back somewhat worse cosmetically than they went in.
      04-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:

That's preposterous. Tell them you want new wheels, not repaired wheels. You went in with new wheels, you should leave with new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

It may be different in the UK, but BMW replaced all 4 of mine when they showed signs of lacquer peel. (08 car after 2 Years)

I also have my main dealer do my tyre changes. If they damage the wheel in any way, they will replace with new, not re furbished.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
E30_80Y
Still love my E30
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30S52+E90M

sorry to bring this post back, but I was washing my car the other day and noticed clearcoat peeling badly on the grey part, behind the spokes. Only on the rear driver side. I called up the dealer I go to and brought up the issue, and the service guy tells me they won't be able to help me on that because I did not purchase the wheel and tire warranty. It doesn't sound right to me, since this seem more of a manufacturer's defect than anything else. Any thoughts and suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_80Y View Post
sorry to bring this post back, but I was washing my car the other day and noticed clearcoat peeling badly on the grey part, behind the spokes. Only on the rear driver side. I called up the dealer I go to and brought up the issue, and the service guy tells me they won't be able to help me on that because I did not purchase the wheel and tire warranty. It doesn't sound right to me, since this seem more of a manufacturer's defect than anything else. Any thoughts and suggestions?
Are all the other wheels in good shape?

Have they all been maintained the same way?

Have you had all the services done at a BMW dealership/shop?

If so, then it certainly points to a paint defect on the wheel. I would expect BMW to cover this unless the wheels have been mistreated.

If they stone wall you, ask to speak to the local BMW representative. Just calmly explain why you think BMW should cover it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
sineadw12
Registered
Rep
Drives: my car is very nice!

Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
E30_80Y
Still love my E30
United_States
Rep

Thanks Singletrack, I will attempt it on Friday. I am not the first owner of the car, I had it for about a month, but all four wheels are in immaculate shape, no curb rash or scratches. Only that one wheel is peeling and I do think that it should be covered, I will post an update after I deal with them friday.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
E30_80Y
Still love my E30
United_States
Rep

update: so they didn't replace it for me, I was as nice as possible, explained them the situation, after the manager inspected it. They claim that 2 of my wheels were refinished, since I'm not the first owner I couldn't argue that yet. I will inspect the wheels closer and see if they weren't just giving me BS. They said since they were refinished by someone else, they don't want to fix somebody else's work.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
DaveHutchinson
Private
Rep

BMW never replaced mine either. They repainted them twice and it still peeled after a couple of weeks. In the end the service and numerous issues with the wheels, paint and interior made it very easy to trade into a GTR.

I pushed pretty hard for replacement wheels but they wouldn't budge even after the second repaint.

Appreciate 0