BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Mporium BMW

06-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ubuntu

Does anybody use ubuntu?? I've been thinking about getting a new laptop but I figure that my comp is just slow b/c of my specs and XP. But my question is this: if I use Ubuntu then I can still use applications like MS word or itunes? My gut tells me no
      06-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

You can't use your apps, but there are comparable/superior ones that are FOSS and will run on Linux. Open Office is fully compatible with MS Word (all MS Office programs actually) document formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
DesiGUY
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
Does anybody use ubuntu?? I've been thinking about getting a new laptop but I figure that my comp is just slow b/c of my specs and XP. But my question is this: if I use Ubuntu then I can still use applications like MS word or itunes? My gut tells me no

I use both Vista and Ubuntu.
can you still use apps like word, itunes... you can (not 100% sure)

There is a ubuntu application called "Wine"... using that you can install most of the windows applications.

Google for more.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiGUY View Post
I use both Vista and Ubuntu.
can you still use apps like word, itunes... you can (not 100% sure)

There is a ubuntu application called "Wine"... using that you can install most of the windows applications.

Google for more.
You can use Wine, but he's much better off using native Linux programs imo. Wine is usually pretty good, but it's an emulator so it's not anything near perfect. The native Linux apps usually retain full functionality or are even better than their Windows counterparts. (Plus they're free, unlike MS Office which is expensive as hell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

+1, Wine is typically a last ditch effort if you HAVE to have something that has no comparable application on Linux. As mentioned, OpenOffice is incredible and absolutely free. There's your office suite.

For a media player, there are tons. You can look at Songbird which is modeled to be an iTunes alternative, however I've found it not to be polished enough quite yet. Granted, I haven't used it in a while. Another very popular choice is Amarok if you're using KDE (I suggest Gnome, it's the Ubuntu default, Kubuntu is the KDE version), or my favorite when I was last using Ubuntu, Exaile on Gnome.

There are plenty of apps to replace just about anything you use right now. I'd suggest getting into the Ubuntu forums as they have a ridiculous wealth of information. You can find out about all kinds of cool new apps by just browsing around the forums.
      06-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

I installed a version of ubuntu or was it fedora on my PS3. (Yellow Dog Linux) It kicked me arse. Linux is for men that shave with a steak knife and cut their toe nails with a dremmel.

The free awesomeness isn't exactly free.
________
volcano vaporizer digital
________
marijuana trichomes
________
Mercedes-benz m113 engine
________
xAlexia cam
________
PhenomenalEyes live

Last edited by satakal; 09-13-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

PS3 isnt the best for linux, the fact that it has very little RAM, and the PS3 blocks out the RSX graphics chip making it almost useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
have to sound off on the whole ubuntu thing.

i have been using Linux as my primary OS (work desktop, home desktop, servers at work) since '97. It all started with a 28 floppy download of Slackware for my 486SX, then RedHat 4.0, SuSe, Caldera, Debian, and then Ubuntu, because it is Debian based but more Desktop friendly. Linux is my full time job. This is what i do for a living.

if you are a kind of person who has all the time in the world to spend countless hours trying to get your shit to work, linux is for you. but if you are a basic windows check-email-get-online type of user, don't waste your time.

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) release was a complete disaster! It broke EVERYTHING. I had to reinstall from scratch (i NEVER EVER had to do it with Debian) and re-configure everything again, and even then half of the shit did not work. Like using wireless with static IP's. Network Manager gui software did not allow that, and the only way to get it working was removing bunch of shit and configuring via config files (NOT something a new user would be able to do)

Then 8.04 (Hardy Heron) came out... and after a simple apt-get dist-upgrade Grub (boot loader) does not see my hard drive anymore. I said fuck it and went back to Debian.

Sooo.... i would suggest you stick with windows, unless you either know what you are doing, or you have time and desire to play with your computer all day long

It actually bums me out that after all these years Linux is still nowhere near where it could have been
      07-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Ubuntu is GREAT...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
cliverman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
UBUNTU is great. Use it daily. I also use Redhat and Mandriva. Of the three distros Ubuntu is my fav.
2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 0