BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #67
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
If you can swing $65K for a car you shoud be smart enough with your money to not spend $65K on a car that sits in the garage. Maybe it's just me.

Yeah, because an E92 M3 is perfect for hauling home bags of sod, small trees and plants from Home Depot. What was I thinking keeping an extra utility vehicle around? I should probably sell it for a few thousand and invest in a Vorsteiner trunk lid.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #68
ITLMOVE
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I'm not going to comment on the looks of e90 vs. e92 because looks are subjective. The only regret I had with my e90, was the b-pillar. I felt like it was always blocking my vew during lane changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #69
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLMOVE View Post
I'm not going to comment on the looks of e90 vs. e92 because looks are subjective. The only regret I had with my e90, was the b-pillar. I felt like it was always blocking my vew during lane changes.
that's why you have a sideview mirror and giant rear passenger window.

I actually find it easier to change lanes... with my old E46 coupe that small side rear window didn't help much during lane changes.
      05-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #70
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

What quality_sound said.
(grab all his posts in this thread and repeat).

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #71
Quattro98
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '15 F31 328i(x)

I actually like idea behind the new Porsche commercial where they show the cars being used everyday for normal errands, even though the actual ad isn't that great. One of my favorite quotes about the M3 (not sure from where) is that it is faster than anything more practical and more practical than anything faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

Yeah, because an E92 M3 is perfect for hauling home bags of sod, small trees and plants from Home Depot. What was I thinking keeping an extra utility vehicle around? I should probably sell it for a few thousand and invest in a Vorsteiner trunk lid.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #72
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro98 View Post
I actually like idea behind the new Porsche commercial where they show the cars being used everyday for normal errands, even though the actual ad isn't that great. One of my favorite quotes about the M3 (not sure from where) is that it is faster than anything more practical and more practical than anything faster.
Yes, they have a print campaign going, too.

Still I don't understand all the hate for those that want to keep a beater car. Do you wear your nicest (and comfortable) dress shoes when you mow the lawn or go fishing/hunting?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #73
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:

You didn't get my point. I'm not saying there aren't times you don't need more space (although I've done everything you mentioned in mine). I was saying I don't see the point of driving a beater everyday with an M3 in the garage. It's a personal thing.

But again, there are absolutely times when you ened more space, passernger seats, towing capacity, a bed, etc. than an M3 will be able to provide.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #74
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they have a print campaign going, too.

Still I don't understand all the hate for those that want to keep a beater car. Do you wear your nicest (and comfortable) dress shoes when you mow the lawn or go fishing/hunting?
That's not a good analogy. Something better would be, do you wear your
$130 running shoes to walk around the mall? Personally, I do. I wouldn't use them to mow the lawn, only because of the safety factory. I wear some of my old work boots because they're steel-toed. Appropriate tools for the job. Even BMW markets the M3 as a DD type of car that you can take to home depot or drop the kids off at school in and then hit the track in.

If I was going hunting/fishing (equivalent to off-roading in this example) I'd use something designed to go off-road. An M3 is not. Again, right tools for the job, but the M3 is more than capable as a DD and not nearly special enough not to be used as one. It's not a Bugatti, or Lambo, or Ferrari.

It's not hate, just an "I don't see the point" kind of thing. If you choose to do so, great. To me it's a huge waste of money. If you were only going to drive it a couple of times a month and not at all during the winter woudln't it WAY less expensive to rent on those occassions or is it more the status of owning it? With driving it that little what does ownership really get you other than a huge car payment and ownership expenses?

That's a no BS/sarcasm question. I'm genuinely curious as to why one would buy, not rent, in a situation like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #75
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a no BS/sarcasm question. I'm genuinely curious as to why one would buy, not rent, in a situation like this.
Simple. If you "rent" (I'm assuming you mean lease here), it is not a good cost model if you're babying the car or not driving it every day.

A legit example: If you're only gonna drive your M3 on weekends, or ~5000 miles a year, and you lease, you're effectively paying a higher cost per mile/day to drive than someone who buys and keeps the car longer than 5 years.

If you're leasing and a low-mileage driver, you might be paying $2.40/mile over the course of 3 years.

If you're buying and a low-mileage driver, you'll probably pay closer to $2/mile over the course of 6 years.

Yes, you get something "new" every 3 years with a lease, but your cost-per-mile goes down every year you keep the car if you own it.

EDIT: If you truly mean "rent" the numbers still don't work to favor your example. What place rents M3s? I still think it would be higher than $2/mile, without the flexibility of owning it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #76
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Yes, I truly meant rent, not leasing. Sure, not every place rents them, but they are available. I haven't looked but say it's $300/day and the renter is the type of owner that garages is during bad weather, (rain, snow, etc) and during the winter months. In a 4 seasons climate that's at least 4 months where it's garaged. I've seen a number of people here that have said they drive it "a couple of times a month" Assuming the weather is acceptable for all 32 weekends of the "good" eight months and the driver in questions really does drive "a couple of times a month" that's 16 days driven per year. Multiply that by the $300/day and we're at $4800/year. Say we doubled that to all 32 days available we're still at $9600/year. That's the same an $800/mo car payment but with no ownership concerns, no space taken up, no insurance, nada amd from what I've seen, FAR less than most are paying, even with leases.

Granted, this is a GROSSLY simplified look and is not meant to be a judgement of anyone's driving or ownership preferences. Just an exercise out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #77
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Altos View Post
The only time i feel like the sedan is a sedan, is when im about to get in, and i just got out of the car. Seriously, test drive both, you will never know the difference from the drivers seat. I had one firend kind of chuckle and say "sedan, huh?" Then I took him for a ride. His response,"So is this like a special edition coupe with extra doors or something?" I said "no", but if you want to go for another ride I can show you what it can really do. He said he had to decline for "safety" reasons.
Love this.

I chose the sedan not only for the practicality with my 2 kids, but also because it seems like the ultimate example of what BMW has stood for, at least from the '60s onward. BMWs are fast, responsive, nimble, yet practical sedans that can put the hurt on "sportier" but more compromised two-doors. BMWs are NOT (or at least should not be) 5000lb, all-wheel-drive "M" trucklets. It's obviously very subjective, and there is no right answer. It all depends on priorities and where you are in life. At this point I can only drive one car. I have two kids. I'm a BMW fan. I'm an M fan. I want to go to HPDE track days. ---> M3 sedan. Easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #78
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I wanted the Sedan for practicality sake, but the Coupe looks INFINITELY better from many angles. Anyone who says the Sedan looks better, is HIGH.
      06-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #79
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Yes, I truly meant rent, not leasing. Sure, not every place rents them, but they are available. I haven't looked but say it's $300/day and the renter is the type of owner that garages is during bad weather, (rain, snow, etc) and during the winter months. In a 4 seasons climate that's at least 4 months where it's garaged. I've seen a number of people here that have said they drive it "a couple of times a month" Assuming the weather is acceptable for all 32 weekends of the "good" eight months and the driver in questions really does drive "a couple of times a month" that's 16 days driven per year. Multiply that by the $300/day and we're at $4800/year. Say we doubled that to all 32 days available we're still at $9600/year. That's the same an $800/mo car payment but with no ownership concerns, no space taken up, no insurance, nada amd from what I've seen, FAR less than most are paying, even with leases.

Granted, this is a GROSSLY simplified look and is not meant to be a judgement of anyone's driving or ownership preferences. Just an exercise out of curiosity.
Aren't there car clubs available where you pay a monthly fee and can reserve a car X number of das per month from an impressive stable of BMW, Porsche and Ferrari automobiles?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #80
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I wanted the Sedan for practicality sake, but the Coupe looks INFINITELY better from many angles. Anyone who says the Sedan looks better, is HIGH.
Lol...Love threads about:

Sedan versus Coupe
335 vs M3
1M vs M3
C63 vs. M3
DCT vs. Manual
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #81
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Explain please.
The sedan has a better 50/50 distribution than E92.....known fact. Dont get me wrong I love the E92! But in the end you will always see a Alpine White E92 with Red Interrior. I see more of those cars than anything
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #82
BlkITR01
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura Integra

Even though I'm single, I was ecstatic when I heard there would be a sedan again. I like the idea of a fast 4 door, saving 3k isn't a bad bonus either.

As mentioned previously looks are subjective and although most would agree the coupe s more attractive, there's something about the sedan's hips and butt that I love.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #83
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
The sedan has a better 50/50 distribution than E92.....known fact.
Marginally better by 1.2%... that's like a +/- 35lb difference in front/rear balance. There is no way that is noticeable to anyone. That would not/should not be a factor in a decision.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #84
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Aren't there car clubs available where you pay a monthly fee and can reserve a car X number of das per month from an impressive stable of BMW, Porsche and Ferrari automobiles?
Like a timshare type of deal? TBH it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Hell, for the right money I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #85
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Have you driven both the E90 and E92? They both drive similar. Other than sitting a bit higher in the E90, you can't tell the difference while driving. And isn't how it drives what it's all about?

Cheers.