BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

05-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #1
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Angry Bu11SH1+ Traffic Ticket! Can I Fight It?

K So I was Driving Out Of My Neighborhood Tonight At About 9:50pm and there was this cop infront of me as i was driving down a small residential street going towards the PCH. He's Driving like 5 mph max and i'm not tailgating or anything but making it apparent i'm behind him waiting to get out of this housing track. So We Make A Left at a stop sign and then come up to a red light on Orange at PCH in Newport Beach (For those of you that Know the Area.) He's going straight and i'm making a right turn. I pull up next to him and come to a complete stop. Looking in all directions for oncoming traffic and proceed NB on PCH. As soon as i make the right he follows after and lights me up. I'm pissed cause i knew the dick was going to do this so i aggressively turn into a parking lot, turn off the car, roll down the window and perpare my ID.
To Say the least this officer was a fucking dick. He starts yelling at me and asking me how old i am and then does the same to my girlfriend. He then ask me "What The Fuck Is With Your Attitude? I Don't Know What The Fuck You're On Or If You Just Act Like This All The Time!" Asks me questions and continuously interupts me. Asks my girlfriend where she lives and when she answers he mocks her because of how she purnouces her street name.

Long Story Short, he come back with the same Asshole attitude and a ticket telling me I cross the limit line when making my right turn and thats considered running a red light.
"Violation: Failed To Stop At Limit Line At Posted Stop Sign."

First off this wasn't a stop sign, but a stop light. Second, I came to a complete stop just maybe a foot over the line max to see the oncoming traffic because my view was blocked by him and another parked car on the street. He Also Said my Approx. Speed was 12mph in a 25mph. . . Which wasn't over, but still most definately impossible. He was infront of me going like 5mph and there was no was i sped up that much in that little stretch of street.
I Think He Was Just Being A Dick Because I'm Relatively Young Driving Higher Priced Car That The Adverage Guy My Age. I Pay For Everything Myself, But Regardless.

So What Are My Chances Of Fighting This And Winning?
Has Anyone Else Had Experience With A Similar Situation?
I Sure Don't Feel Like Paying The $450 For This bullshit Ticket.
:finger:
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

im sure thats not the whole story, but the cop probably was a dick none the less, they usually are.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #3
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
most importantly change the court date so that chances are reduced that he'll show up. other than that there's 9324923 websites out there on how to get out of these types of things

imo, try something like "the reflective paint on the stop sign line was not reflecting properly from the angle i was approaching it at, therefore i ended up stopping on it instead of just before it" etc. :P

GL

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:17 AM   #4
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

That really doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're quoting him word for word here? Sorry for my skeptisism, but even though jerkass pigs really piss me off, I have a hard time believing an officer did exactly what you said unless you somehow provoked him doing something dumb you didn't mention.

Take it to court, you have a 50/50 chance of getting out of it. I have a court date for running a red on a freeway onramp. Kinda a bogus ticket when there was no traffic or anything, but I did what I did. I'm still going to try to weasle out of it if I can though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
uabimmer
Україна
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that bro
Man you have to fight this , although I'm not sure what is your best way out of this one, by showing up to court and pleading your case you will definatly get some of the fine taken off but i've heard of someone on this forum talking about how they get the entire fine dismissed except now i cant remember.

Hopefully they read this.
Good luck with that though I'm 18 with a nice car and not too many people like it

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
AH
Major
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
It happened to me once when I drove around 4 am in quiet neighborhood. Cop said I didn't stop long enough at the stop light and I passed the line..... I said I did stop there, complete stop...period. Then I got myself a warning, instead of ticket. $450 for violation like that is crap.

Mods: Remus, Blacklines, Hartge, ACS, Breyton, Eibach, 20" Lative
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I dont really get some of the stuff. You were going 12mph in a 25mph and he wrote u up because u were going over the limit??

ALso, you should have stopped BEFORE the line AND THEN inch forward to check for incoming traffic.

ANyhoo, if it happened exactly the way you described it then go to court and fight the ticket. Your gf can be the witness. However, if it isnt and u made all that stuff up then you're SOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

^^^^ Like BMWE90 said... Every light has 2 white lines, you stop at one then you creep up to the other and chill until its clear to turn, you probably went directly to line #2 and skipped the stop at line #1. Very strange rule and its solely taught and enforced.

But if you get stopped for something like that, that usually indicates the cop is having a bad day and its best to be extra nice and never have an attitude and do what they say.

Pay the ticket you broke the law, take some responsibility and take this as a lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 03:38 AM   #9
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
That really doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're quoting him word for word here? Sorry for my skeptisism, but even though jerkass pigs really piss me off, I have a hard time believing an officer did exactly what you said unless you somehow provoked him doing something dumb you didn't mention.

Take it to court, you have a 50/50 chance of getting out of it. I have a court date for running a red on a freeway onramp. Kinda a bogus ticket when there was no traffic or anything, but I did what I did. I'm still going to try to weasle out of it if I can though.
cops can and will give you BS tickets if theyre in a bad mood. theyre human. and some *not all* cops will go on power trips and write you BS tickets knowing that 95% of the people will NOT fight the tickets. ive been in the same situation when i was 16 and had a prelude.

to the OP:
fight the ticket. if you have the funds get a lawyer. i went to court when i was younger and fought a ticket where it was my word vs. the cops. even then the judge still gave me a huge brake on th fine and reduced the ticket (it was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign....BS i did stop, there was a bus coming the other way) . but you have a valueable witness...prob enough to get the case dismissed. do you homework and you should be fine. oh and wear a tie! good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieJ View Post
to the OP:
fight the ticket. if you have the funds get a lawyer. i went to court when i was younger and fought a ticket where it was my word vs. the cops. even then the judge still gave me a huge brake on th fine and reduced the ticket (it was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign....BS i did stop, there was a bus coming the other way) . but you have a valueable witness...prob enough to get the case dismissed. do you homework and you should be fine. oh and wear a tie! good luck.
+1
Dress nicely, articulate properly, and don't come off as just another teenage driver. If you show poise and speak well, the judge will be more likely to lighten the charges. Getting a lawyer will probably help the most thoough...good luck!

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 04:02 AM   #11
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
im sure thats not the whole story, but the cop probably was a dick none the less, they usually are.
Not all cops are dicks
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 04:30 AM   #12
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

fyi...your passenger can not be your witness...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
jfulcher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Monaco E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
most importantly change the court date so that chances are reduced that he'll show up. other than that there's 9324923 websites out there on how to get out of these types of things

imo, try something like "the reflective paint on the stop sign line was not reflecting properly from the angle i was approaching it at, therefore i ended up stopping on it instead of just before it" etc. :P

GL
In Georgia when you change the court date they look up what dates the officer is scheduled to be in court and schedule you that day. Won't work here as the officer has a scheduled traffic court date once a month and they just reschedule for that day.
      05-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #14
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

I'm going to have to try that court date rescheduling. >: )
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
alisoduke
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 325izzle

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You can definately fight this ticket. And honestly i believe your story for the most part cause ive had similar experiences with cops. In order to win this ticket your gonna have to be very credible to the judge. You need to have your facts straight and understand your violation so you can fight against it. Honestly though I would recommend getting a trafic lawyer. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks for a decent attorney. Get an attorney who knows the local judges and the court systems. An attorney will most likely be able to get the charges dropped completely or have the turned into infractions (which dont go on your record). If I had to put some odds on it I would say: Winning w/ lawyer 4/5 chance Winning w/o lawyer 1/10 chance
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
First, if your recounting is not completely accurate or whole then this thread is pointless. If you just want to vent that you got a ticket, then just say that and we'll all chime in how that sucks, etc.

IF, however, your story is 80% true... the cop was highly unprofessional (which is why I think you're probably not telling us the truth) to use that language and to interrogate your passenger.

But I'll play along... change the court date and show up nicely dressed and with your best manners on. Tell the judge that you made a legal right turn on red light after a complete stop. It seems the cop is nitpicking about you pulling up too far - explain to the judge that you needed to inch forward to have proper visibility of the oncoming traffic on the protected route.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #17
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
explain to the judge that you needed to inch forward to have proper visibility of the oncoming traffic on the protected route.
good call

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post

GL
That's The Thing. It wasn't a stop sign. I Stop Perfectly at That. It was a Red Light.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
It happened to me once when I drove around 4 am in quiet neighborhood. Cop said I didn't stop long enough at the stop light and I passed the line..... I said I did stop there, complete stop...period. Then I got myself a warning, instead of ticket. $450 for violation like that is crap.
Was This In Court? Or You Just Argued Your Point With The Officer. Cause They Usually Won't Go Back On A Ticket Once Its Been Writen.
And If It Was In Court, did The Officer Show Up?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #20
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
I dont really get some of the stuff. You were going 12mph in a 25mph and he wrote u up because u were going over the limit??

ALso, you should have stopped BEFORE the line AND THEN inch forward to check for incoming traffic.

ANyhoo, if it happened exactly the way you described it then go to court and fight the ticket. Your gf can be the witness. However, if it isnt and u made all that stuff up then you're SOL.
First, Why would i waste my time making all that up? I want honest opinions from my actual situation.
Second, I assume he wrote 12mph in order to prove his point that i drove over the limit line because i was driving too fast to stop in it. Which Isn't true.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #21
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's just SOP to write down how fast you were going, he didn't cite you for that infraction, right?
About the line, when I was in traffic school, the CHP explained they put the first line so far back, hoping we would stop before the intersection/second line, but it just doesn't work. The stop behind/inch forward is the correct DMV training method.
For getting out, look up the actual penal code infraction he wrote on teh ticket, and see if it applies to both stop signs and red lights. If not, check where he wrote you down (intersection) If there is no stop sign there, slowly and carefully explain that to the judge, maybe with a supporting photograph the shows the intersection and a lack of stop sign.
Appreciate 0