BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Building an emergency battery - need some quick feedback

I've been stuck too many times without charge on my cellphone.

I have external battery packs but they are either too big to carry or I forget them.

I have a prototype I want to finish designing. Want to base it on some feedback - do you guys mind taking this survey for me?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L9HX3NR

Thanks!

Cyrus
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

If it's a keychain, it means it's yet another thing I have to stuff in my pocket. So the only way I would consider this if it would be integrated or be part of my BMW key fob. I cannot imagine having my house keys, my key fob and then yet another item which is a battery pack to haul around with me.

If you do make it small enough to where it can be in your pocket, how will your phone charge? Would you run a charging cable from one pocket to the other pocket and walk around like that? Because if you're making it small enough, I assume you're doing that in order to retain mobility, right?

I have a mobile charger that I got for free at a trade show. It's the size of a lipstick and will give my iPhone 5S a 50% charge. Plenty to get my out of a pickle.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thinking about this a bit further. Your target market is mobile phone users, right? Since most users have cases for their phone, how about focusing on cases that have built-in batteries but are much slimmer than what's available now?

How about a integrating that with an efficient solar panel?

I think the last thing we all want is get another thing to carry around.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have a mobile charger that I got for free at a trade show. It's the size of a lipstick and will give my iPhone 5S a 50% charge. Plenty to get my out of a pickle.
Pictures of this item............who,where,how much. 50% charge is no joke
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Pictures of this item............who,where,how much. 50% charge is no joke
Here's a link to it...

http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Ultra-...tery+On+The+Go

Edit: I read on the description on Amazon that it will charge the iPhone fully once. I'll have to test it out again! I probably didn't look at it very scientifically.

Last edited by P1; 04-08-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Here's a link to it...

Edit: I read on the description on Amazon that it will charge the iPhone fully once. I'll have to test it out again! I probably didn't look at it very scientifically.
I have one very similar to that but its too big to just throw in my pocket
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Here's a link to it...

2600 mah should easily charge an iphone completely.

for form factor check out the monster powercard. it's 1,650 mah but a nice form factor. just need to have a cable with you also which is really the problem with most of these portable batteries.
      04-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Thanks P1et
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will post pics as soon as I can.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it's a keychain, it means it's yet another thing I have to stuff in my pocket. So the only way I would consider this if it would be integrated or be part of my BMW key fob. I cannot imagine having my house keys, my key fob and then yet another item which is a battery pack to haul around with me.

If you do make it small enough to where it can be in your pocket, how will your phone charge? Would you run a charging cable from one pocket to the other pocket and walk around like that? Because if you're making it small enough, I assume you're doing that in order to retain mobility, right?

I have those too. I actually have 5 different chargers. I always encounter three problems

1. I forget them
2. I don't have a micro USB or lightning cable around
3. They aren't charged

Most people ALWAYS carry three items with them: Mobile phone, wallet and keys.

Trying to make it as bulletproof as possible to have some sort of charge whenever you need it
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
I have those too. I actually have 5 different chargers. I always encounter three problems

1. I forget them
2. I don't have a micro USB or lightning cable around
3. They aren't charged

Most people ALWAYS carry three items with them: Mobile phone, wallet and keys.

Trying to make it as bulletproof as possible to have some sort of charge whenever you need it
I agree, it's another thing you have to carry around with you. So let's focus on the mobile phone, the wallet and the keys.

1) keys: I'm a guy, so I put my keys in my pocket. This is easy to do when you wear jeans, but not when you're wearing your Tom Ford tuxedo. So I keep my keys to a bare minimum: my BMW fob, and my house key. Adding a battery on top of that, that is able to charge a phone. That's going to be at least the size of another fob, right? And if you want to have a cable attached to it so that I can charge my phone, will that make it even bulkier? The whole thought behind it is that I'll be on the go, and that I need to charge my phone. Will I have to hold it in my hand when I'm walking so that I can connect my phone to the keychain charger? What will that look like?

2) wallet: I suppose one could have an ultra-slim battery in the format of a credit card, right? That, coupled with a very flat version of a lightning cable. I can see that working. But then you still have the problem of being mobile and having to run a cable from your pocket that has the wallet to the pocket that has your phone.

3) phone: I think this is still your best bet to focus on. If it's somehow integrated into the phone, it's not yet *another* thing we have to put in our pockets. Most people have a cover, so make it the slimmest battery cover that will give you a 25%-50% emergency boost on your battery life. That can be done with something as small as a 1,000 mah battery, right?
Appreciate 0