BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

A couple of laps at MSR Houston in my M3

First off, big thanks to rldzhao for inviting me out to MSR Houston last Saturday. The track is a blast and easy to find a fast line. This was my first time out there in more than four years and the first time in my M3.

Trying to edit from nearly two hours of footage. This is what I have for now, hopefully a mod can embed this.--JC

Here are a couple pics:

Sucks for this guy^^

2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 06-25-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Great pics and video

JC919 - I'm very interested in taking my M to the track (never done it before). Would you recommend the instructor class at MSR?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I'm terrified of tracking my car because I'll probably end up like the Lambo!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
Great pics and video

JC919 - I'm very interested in taking my M to the track (never done it before). Would you recommend the instructor class at MSR?
This was actually my first time at MSR is almost four years, but a DE day would be perfect for someone who has never tracked before. You won't have to pay the rates they charge for private instructor days. They'll put an instructor in your car so that you will truly learn the line and gain confidence in your abilities safely. Do a DE at MSR Houston or Harris Hill Road. Though I haven't been, I wouldn't start out at TWS based on how fast the track is.

If you haven't tracked your M3, just f***ing do it. You will learn so much about car control and really work your car like it was built to do. If you get serious and don't want to spend too much then I'll suggest stainless steel brake lines, track brake pads, and high temp fluid (or else you WILL end up like the lambo).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Is a DE day the same as this: http://www.msrhouston.com/msrhouston...vingschool.asp

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
This was actually my first time at MSR is almost four years, but a DE day would be perfect for someone who has never tracked before. You won't have to pay the rates they charge for private instructor days. They'll put an instructor in your car so that you will truly learn the line and gain confidence in your abilities safely. Do a DE at MSR Houston or Harris Hill Road. Though I haven't been, I wouldn't start out at TWS based on how fast the track is.

If you haven't tracked your M3, just f***ing do it. You will learn so much about car control and really work your car like it was built to do. If you get serious and don't want to spend too much then I'll suggest stainless steel brake lines, track brake pads, and high temp fluid (or else you WILL end up like the lambo).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No, I believe that is you + instructor in one of their slow C class Benzs. If I were you I would wait for a Driver's Edge (or similar) event.

There is a DE in the third week of July that I'm attending at Harris Hill Road (between San Antonio and Austin). May be a little far for you, but H2R is a great little circuit to learn on. A tight, technical, and bumpy track will make you faster at the larger, faster tracks IMO. If you are interested, I can email you info

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I'm terrified of tracking my car because I'll probably end up like the Lambo!
The best mod you can do is to gain skill behind the wheel. Why did you buy an M3 is you're scared to track?

Last edited by JC919; 06-25-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
Is a DE day the same as this: http://www.msrhouston.com/msrhouston...vingschool.asp

Cheers!
MSRH's classes are full day one-on-one instructions. That's why it is pretty expensive.

As JC919 said, for your first time, definitely participate in one of Driver's Edge's events. They might be coming to MSRH in August, or try TWS in Oct.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Appreciate 0