BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

05-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Repair Shop: what leverage do I have?

Having a less-than-satisfactory experience with a body/repair shop now. Say I have something that needs repair, or want to do some body-related modifications, in the future. What kind of leverage do I have to get the work done quickly? If I shop around and ask each shop for a guaranteed completion date (1) can I get one, (2) would they stick to it, and (3) what is my recourse if they don't?
      05-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

That's A Tough One

Generally the best places have the most business (and no incentive to tie themselves to a completion date or penalties for missing a due date).

You can try asking your insurance company for the best three body shops they deal with (among the insurance co's eval criteria (besides doing it at their price) is on time completion and customer satisfaction. If one or more of those company's has a quality reputation, then you are likely good to go. If none of them are on the local radar, visit them, look at the work they are doing ,and talk to the owner/manager. You should be able to find an acceptable shop that way.

Good luck.
      05-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey man did you get your car fixed yet? Are you unhappy with Metropolitan?

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

I guess it would be unfair for me to say I'm unhappy with them, since I have it back and it looks like they did a superb job. I guess I was just expecting it to take about 1/2 the amount of time it took, and it stressed me out pretty bad as the days went by and it wasn't done.

For any future experience where I have to deal with repair shops, I'd just like to know what kind of leverage the car owner has to get the work done in a timely manner, or at least done within the initial completion date they give you. It just seems like there's no leverage available.

By the way, your car looks very mean and sporty . I was wondering what black wheels looked like "in real-life" on a black M3. Now I know they look awesome....just as I suspected.
      06-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
leboeuf45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M4 comp

I can understand being stressed and ready to have your car back, but at the end of the day you dont have a carolla getting fixed. When getting an expensive luxory/exotic car fixed ( especially paint and body work ) you should be very patient with them and give them the oppertunity to do there job correctly and to the best of there ability. Sometimes at high end shops that do the best work, they have to maybe respray a few times to get it perfect. You dont want your m3 back with a half ass job just cause it was done in half the time. Now with that said when you do get it back it should be very good quality and that you can hold them accountable for!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

I hear you. But at the same time, where I work, I am expected to do a quality job and do it quickly. I can't go to my boss or our customers and tell them "it'll be done whenever it's done, and you'll just have to wait til I'm finished, but hey, at least it'll be a quality job". In the business world I work in, speed and quality are both required simultaneously.
      06-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
leboeuf45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M4 comp

I get it, and im not sure what it is you do but im in the retail buisness and the worst thing you can do is over promise and under deliver. In most cases it is better to tell customers worse case scenario and when they get a call early with good news that there car is ready, its allways a good thing ( under promise and over deliver ). In any case if i was having my m3 painted on, the only thing i would be worried about is that when i get it back that the quality is better than expected. Either way this all started with you having one question " what leverage do you have " the answer to that is none. Oly if there is a written up contract with a deadline on is there any leverage. Sounds though as if you are happy with the job, and congrats on you for that!
Appreciate 0