BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #23
E9T.two
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 2023 X7 40i M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I'm so glad to hear that you and your gal are ok. As passionate as we all are about the cars we drive and/or lust over, life and limb are waaay more important. Please be sure to get checked out and make sure that everything is ok. You WILL recover from this and you WILL find the car that was meant to be your forever car. There is a silver lining in there somewhere. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #24
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
You and Ivey are such great people, I feel very fortunate to get to work with her on the charity for TOTD. You have an amazing girl there, man. And, you're not bad yourself

I'm super thankful that you guys are okay. Again, I am so sorry this happened. I know you loved that car on the same level I love mine, so I'm sure you will go through a whole range of emotions about this. Fingers crossed you don't have to put up with too much BS from that girl's insurance company.

I may be a couple hours away, but let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
You da bomb, Mary. I'm struggling to keep my cool with her insurance, but I guess it's what you should expect unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50
      08-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #25
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

It will buff out.

Joking aside, glad your girl and you are okay.
      08-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #26
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I initially filed the claim with my insurance to at least get it on their record, and given the quality of the car, I was skeptical that insurance was even going to be apparent. After speaking with my local agent that I've had since day one of driving (originally with parents and then I split off on my own using the same agent however many years back), he's left at that I should file through the at-fault's insurance provider and that if I have any questions, State Farm will provide advice. Really puts me in a "David vs Goliath" situation which I was not pleased with. I can certainly file the claim through my own insurance and have them chase, but I want to talk with our lawyer first before I make the final decision. With it approaching 12 hours since the accident and still not sign of a rental car, I'd say we're off to a great start with the at-fault insurance.

All panels getting hit is scary enough as it is. But a quick peek under the front bumper shows a dirty story. With the suspension bent and sagging with flat tires, I certainly could not get a good look. But there are things bent in shapes they are not intended with misaligned bits specific to the passenger front. With wheel damage to all, I'd be concerned for their suspension pieces and respective mounting - ahem, subframe.

But as you say, I'm just speculating. I think of the last time I had to deal with insurance where a railroad tie and rebar dropped from a truck ripping open my passenger door panel of my GLI. That was a $3500 bill and nowhere near the damage as seen here.

Sounds like it may be time to start searching for a lawyer -- in case things go that way.
BOOF-M34450.00
      08-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #27
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Be surprised if that wasn't a write off, there is a lot of panel, wheel and tyre damage there.

Kinda fascinating to see how the plastic front guards crack and shatter, never seen that before.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #28
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your M!!! But first and foremost; I am glad to hear that everyone is safe and recovering from minor injuries. I know the feeling when our pride and joy gets involved by idiot drivers. Hopefully, you are able to find a new suitable replacement....goodluck with the insurance claim!!
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #29
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

fuck, this makes me angry. it brings up feelings from my e90m3 that was totalled 4 months ago due to some stupid kid as well. really feel bad for you man, but unfortunately this car is a loss. my 2011 e90 m3 was totalled with very similar damage, gear up to fight for the value, most likely you will have to go with your own insurance as i did.
      08-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #30
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

So sorry man, there are some truly awful drivers out there. It hurts to get the car exactly how you want it (ppf, exhaust, bearings etc) then have it taken away by carelessness. On the bright side your all Ok, cars can be replaced. Given the extent of the damage would you even want the car back? I have no experience dealing with insurance companies here, but definitely fight to get everything you can.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #31
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Damn man. So sorry to hear this. Glad you are both okay.

These cars are appear to be very safe, often life-saving, considering the amount of damage have endured in some of the accidents we have seen/heard on these forums.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #32
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Soooo sorry for your loss Tyler.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #33
///Mbitions
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 e92 M3

Yup this pisses me off to read, I go apeshit when a lazy careless ass leaves a cart near the car let alone a total oblivious driver. Good thing is you guys are ok, in past experiences I’ve always called the at fault insurance provider and handed over their insured driver’s info. I feel at fault will always delay so it’s best to get the ball rolling, then I would call my insurance to give them a heads up making sure they understand I’m not filing a claim but to be ready to hear from the other insurance company. Only been hit a couple times both not being anything major, still this process puts me at ease. Definitely make sure the at fault insurance UNDERSTANDS it’s an M car, not a F’n 328 so they can provide a few experienced shops for quotes. I know I’m just stating the obvious however you never know with people. Showed your pics to the ol lady as she use to be a claims adjuster for progressive, just by looking she thinks with parts without checking frame it might be totaled. Hopefully this isn’t too much of a hassle Tyler!

Last edited by ///Mbitions; 08-15-2018 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #34
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Given the extent of the damage would you even want the car back?
Personally, I'd never want a car back after half that damage. I'd be pushing hard for a write-off.

Doubt you'll have to in this case though.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #35
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Be sure to inform the insurance company about the maintenance work performed. In some states new components bring a higher appraisal value. They will want the receipts. Glad you both are okay.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #36
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

Really sorry to hear your story, I remember coming up through Atlanta after picking up my e90 M3 and felt like I was in Mad Max Fury...

Unfortunately a lawyer won't be able to do much for you property wise on the car. If physical injury were involved it would be whole different story. Hopefully your state has diminished value as cars in accidents lose resale value, and especially sports cars are more sensitive to this..

Sad to say but maybe you can sell the car after it gets fixed and maybe find another one if your heart is set on the e90 M3. Another option is to take the check and sell the car as is on ebay for parts for 10k or so and hopefully you'll enough funds from both to buy another one...
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #37
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Personally, I'd never want a car back after half that damage. I'd be pushing hard for a write-off.

Why not? If the engine/frame are not damaged and body panels are replaced and paint work is done well, there won’t be an issue. They are not making these anymore and if OP specced and ordered this car, he is unlikely to find another similar to it. If it’s a 335i, it may be totaled but M cars are less likely to be totaled as the market value tends to be higher.

Sure, resale will be a problem but: since he is not at fault, he will/should get recompensed for loss of value, and if he plans to keep it forever, resale is not a concern anyway.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #38
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesler View Post
If the engine/frame are not damaged and body panels are replaced and paint work is done well, there won't be an issue.
Awful lot of ifs there...

I just wouldn't want to constantly be wondering if issues I have down the road are related to the crash. Looking at the OPs car, there's serious panel damage to non-replaceable body parts. That driver's rear quarter alone is pretty smooshed.

To each their own, I'd want to start again.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2018, 02:20 AM   #39
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Just catching up with this on west coast late night. I hope you feel better physically and emotionally real soon.

And if you find a car that happens to be in AZ, I'm happy to scout it for you, video tour, photos, whatever you need. There are tons of BMWs around here and virtually no rain, potholes, or other nasties. PM and let me know what you need if the situation presents itself.

Good luck with the next phase.
      08-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #40
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Tyler, just to add to the pile; really sorry for you reg the car, but also happy for the both of you that you're okay.
It will be a number of weeks horror fighting insurance companies and assess possible repair back in shape. Times like this force you to show what you're made of - nail'em bro!

Nik
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #41
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Be surprised if that wasn't a write off, there is a lot of panel, wheel and tyre damage there.

Kinda fascinating to see how the plastic front guards crack and shatter, never seen that before.
Thought it was interesting to see as well. Both front fenders shattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotV8? View Post
Sorry to hear about your M!!! But first and foremost; I am glad to hear that everyone is safe and recovering from minor injuries. I know the feeling when our pride and joy gets involved by idiot drivers. Hopefully, you are able to find a new suitable replacement....goodluck with the insurance claim!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
fuck, this makes me angry. it brings up feelings from my e90m3 that was totalled 4 months ago due to some stupid kid as well. really feel bad for you man, but unfortunately this car is a loss. my 2011 e90 m3 was totalled with very similar damage, gear up to fight for the value, most likely you will have to go with your own insurance as i did.
Shit situation no doubt. I'm going to send you a PM here in a bit so we can discuss offline about your situation. I'd like to get some more information to understand how your process went if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
So sorry man, there are some truly awful drivers out there. It hurts to get the car exactly how you want it (ppf, exhaust, bearings etc) then have it taken away by carelessness. On the bright side your all Ok, cars can be replaced. Given the extent of the damage would you even want the car back? I have no experience dealing with insurance companies here, but definitely fight to get everything you can.
No, I do not want the car back. The only instance in which I would want the car back is if it was 100% perfect (within reason considering the damage), if nothing has happened to the subframe (doubtful), and I get a big big check on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
Damn man. So sorry to hear this. Glad you are both okay.

These cars are appear to be very safe, often life-saving, considering the amount of damage have endured in some of the accidents we have seen/heard on these forums.
Thanks! If you look through the pictures, you can see that her car did not fair out well at all. We SMACKED the left rear of her car with the front right of mine. It has me a believer of the BMW product; I don't think we would have left out the way we did had it been in XYZ Appliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Soooo sorry for your loss Tyler.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mbitions View Post
Yup this pisses me off to read, I go apeshit when a lazy careless ass leaves a cart near the car let alone a total oblivious driver. Good thing is you guys are ok, in past experiences I’ve always called the at fault insurance provider and handed over their insured driver’s info. I feel at fault will always delay so it’s best to get the ball rolling, then I would call my insurance to give them a heads up making sure they understand I’m not filing a claim but to be ready to hear from the other insurance company. Only been hit a couple times both not being anything major, still this process puts me at ease. Definitely make sure the at fault insurance UNDERSTANDS it’s an M car, not a F’n 328 so they can provide a few experienced shops for quotes. I know I’m just stating the obvious however you never know with people. Showed your pics to the ol lady as she use to be a claims adjuster for progressive, just by looking she thinks with parts without checking frame it might be totaled. Hopefully this isn’t too much of a hassle Tyler!
Yup, I've gone a similar route. I called my insurance (State Farm) first to make sure they knew what was going on, but I'm still trying to get in touch with someone at her insurance (Progressive) to even give my statement. This is going to be a royal pain...

Quote:

Yeah, I am really pushing for a total. Unless they deem it is worth the market (not KBB), it still gets totaled, and I can buy the car back for cheap.

Here comes track car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
Be sure to inform the insurance company about the maintenance work performed. In some states new components bring a higher appraisal value. They will want the receipts. Glad you both are okay.
Thanks Steve. Value is where it is getting tricky for me. KBB says the car is worth little compared to what we see them sell for here on the forums. I want the car totaled, but I'm concerned that will not happen if we get the value brought up to the market. So do I get the car valued very high, car doesn't get totaled (based on cost to repair and disregarding frame damage, if the frame is damaged I imagine it will be totaled regardless?), and now I'm stuck with a car that I don't want (that I do still owe money on) and hope that I get a big devaluation check?

Other side is that the car gets totaled based on the lower value, but I get a stupid low offer of a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
Really sorry to hear your story, I remember coming up through Atlanta after picking up my e90 M3 and felt like I was in Mad Max Fury...

Unfortunately a lawyer won't be able to do much for you property wise on the car. If physical injury were involved it would be whole different story. Hopefully your state has diminished value as cars in accidents lose resale value, and especially sports cars are more sensitive to this..

Sad to say but maybe you can sell the car after it gets fixed and maybe find another one if your heart is set on the e90 M3. Another option is to take the check and sell the car as is on ebay for parts for 10k or so and hopefully you'll enough funds from both to buy another one...
Driving through Atlanta (I live in the city and work in the suburbs) MUST be done with very high attention. Twelve lane wide interstates with people zig-zagging through lanes going 20 over the speed limit is simply just how everyone drives. It looks like a damn restart lap of a 70+ field on a mile long track. Every man for themselves.

I know that I do not have any time to spare for me to try and part this thing out and deal with the Craigslist madness. I barely had enough time to wash this thing much less get going with the wrenches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesler View Post
Why not? If the engine/frame are not damaged and body panels are replaced and paint work is done well, there won’t be an issue. They are not making these anymore and if OP specced and ordered this car, he is unlikely to find another similar to it. If it’s a 335i, it may be totaled but M cars are less likely to be totaled as the market value tends to be higher.

Sure, resale will be a problem but: since he is not at fault, he will/should get recompensed for loss of value, and if he plans to keep it forever, resale is not a concern anyway.
Only if this thing gets back to the way it should be. It would be one thing if only body panels were damaged, but the front subframe did not look happy to me.

Quote:
Awful lot of ifs there...

I just wouldn't want to constantly be wondering if issues I have down the road are related to the crash. Looking at the OPs car, there's serious panel damage to non-replaceable body parts. That driver's rear quarter alone is pretty smooshed.

To each their own, I'd want to start again.
That's about where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
Just catching up with this on west coast late night. I hope you feel better physically and emotionally real soon.

And if you find a car that happens to be in AZ, I'm happy to scout it for you, video tour, photos, whatever you need. There are tons of BMWs around here and virtually no rain, potholes, or other nasties. PM and let me know what you need if the situation presents itself.

Good luck with the next phase.
Thank you much! I had a pitstop in Phoenix recently for work. Super cool area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Tyler, just to add to the pile; really sorry for you reg the car, but also happy for the both of you that you're okay.
It will be a number of weeks horror fighting insurance companies and assess possible repair back in shape. Times like this force you to show what you're made of - nail'em bro!

Nik
Thanks, Nik! Last I was told yesterday is that "someone" will be assessing the car either today or tomorrow. We'll see what happens!
Appreciate 1
MJBO2610.00
      08-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #42
SEMOM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 SG

Quote:
With this not being my insurance, I feel that I am in the right in asking for what I want. And I know that I do NOT want body filler.
Looking at your pictures, you DEFINITELY need panel replacement on all of those. They might try to resist replacing the rear quarter, but there's too much damage there.

It's definitely fixable and I don't see anything that would keep you from being able to restore it.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #43
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMOM3 View Post
Looking at your pictures, you DEFINITELY need panel replacement on all of those. They might try to resist replacing the rear quarter, but there's too much damage there.

It's definitely fixable and I don't see anything that would keep you from being able to restore it.
That's what I was stressing on with the service guy at the collision shop. He said that a lot of the things could be repaired and I told him no. We specifically talked about the driver rear quarter and he said he would be pulling it out and using bondo. My heart sank. Are you saying the same for the door panels as well?

What's the process of repairing the driver rear quarter? That's a solid piece all the way from the tail light to the base of the windshield and integral to the unibody. Are you cutting out the rear fender and molding it together?

What are your feelings in regards to the suspension and possible subframe given that the front right wheel is pushed back a good 6 inches or so and facing all kinds of wonky directions relative to the other wheel. Just curious if you have experience with this.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #44
SEMOM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 SG

Quote:
That's what I was stressing on with the service guy at the collision shop. He said that a lot of the things could be repaired and I told him no. We specifically talked about the driver rear quarter and he said he would be pulling it out and using bondo. My heart sank. Are you saying the same for the door panels as well?

What's the process of repairing the driver rear quarter? That's a solid piece all the way from the tail light to the base of the windshield and integral to the unibody. Are you cutting out the rear fender and molding it together?

What are your feelings in regards to the suspension and possible subframe given that the front right wheel is pushed back a good 6 inches or so and facing all kinds of wonky directions relative to the other wheel. Just curious if you have experience with this.
You buy the whole piece in the attached picture (if it attached correctly). Remove it at the factory welds/rivets, and install the new piece in the same factory arrangement. Then you finish it off with factory seam sealer and you'd never know it's been touched.

The doors, you can typically "skin" them and just replace the outer sheet metal as long as the structure is untouched. Literally just peel off the outer sheet metal and clamp on the new. EDIT: looking at the parts list, I don't see door skins as an option, so replacement might be necessary. Not sure on that one.

The subframe is pretty stout. as long as it meets measurements it's ok. You'll likely need all new suspension linkages though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1