BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #67
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
To be clear - I think their wheels are decent and fit a niche that has a need. I'm just not a fan of swapping out factory wheels for something that isn't an upgrade.
Who's to say they aren't an upgrade and why are we assuming rotary forged wheels (from a well known brand) are weaker than cast wheels? They are an upgrade in terms of weight and width. They are likely equivalent in terms of real world strength. There's always going to be people on the internet who manage to hit a pothole and bend a wheel regardless of brand and build quality. These anecdotes tend to be few and far between unless the wheels really are trash, which is not the case here. Maybe Fred Flinstone's wheels are immune...

I tend to agree that ZCP wheels are the best looking wheels on the e9x platform, period. With that said, OP is looking to change it up and the "niche" filled by Forgestar in terms of style, value, and custom size/offset is worth considering. Personally, I think SDC F14s are a close 2nd aesthetically and that is regardless of price/brand. Some wheels look "good" on these cars, while 359s and F14s look like they actually belong on these cars.
      06-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #68
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
Out of curiosity, what makes them look terrible? I haven't seen the 5-spoke designs so I may need to take a closer look.
They bit off more than they can chew with the details they put in the wheel, especially around the lip, IMO. Plus I just don't think the split-7 spoke with spokes that get closer to eachother is a good wheel design if you're also going to leave a huge amount of material around the hub pad and center/lug holes, it looks like somebody forgot to machine out about a pound of aluminum. And the truth is, they didn't forget, it's just cheaper not to. Machining these wheel bits after they're formed is effing expensive and the price point is good for a reason.

But hey whatever, people seem to like them and they serve a purpose, especially if you're trying to maximize the amount of wheel under a car that needs an offset most companies don't offer off the shelf (like ours) without spending absurd money on some of the boutique wheels out there

The CF5 is pretty rad in person I think. The chunky spokes fit the chunky center/lug area really well and the spokes out at the lip looks like it was done on purpose instead of somebody forgetting to stop drawing spokes

Last edited by Richbot; 06-20-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #69
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktavate View Post
The graphite TEs on the orange coupe look fire (eyyyy!) but none of the other posted options really speak to me.
There's a reason TE37's are popular. They're amazing wheels and they look amazing on these cars, don't know what t f the people who think they're played out are talking about, I can't remember the last time I saw a set of TE's on the street, and I don't think I've ever seen them in person on a BMW that wasn't at the track, and even if you see the same wheels on another car, it won't be fire orange, and having some of the lightest wheels available at any price on your car is never played out

Last edited by Richbot; 06-20-2018 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #70
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
There's a reason TE37's are popular. They're amazing wheels and they look amazing on these cars, don't know what t f the people who think they're played out are talking about, I can't remember the last time I saw a set of TE's on the street, and I don't think I've ever seen them in person on a BMW that wasn't at the track, and even if you see the same wheels on another car, it won't be fire orange, and having some of the lightest wheels available at any price on your car is never played out
I've seen them at car shows, at the track, and multiple times on the street on various model cars, not BMW specifically. They're very common on tuner cars. It could be a replica version of TE37s I'm seeing, for example Rota Grids are super common in the Subaru vape nation bro community which has a substantial presence in my neck of the woods. The prevalence of inexpensive replicas is a big reason why they are so played out.

To be clear though, my main gripe with them is aesthetics and not their relative commonality. I think the thick flat spokes look ugly and cheap, just like you think the F14s are ugly. In regards to uniqueness, you could say the same thing about any aftermarket wheel being unique on fire orange. I was making that same point when OP mentioned F14s being common on M3s.

I can understand using TE37s as track wheels where form takes a backseat to function, that's what they're designed for. Personally I'd be looking at Apex or Titan7 for a BMW, but TEs are fine for this specific purpose. All of this is 100% opinion and perception, obviously. I'm not trying to offend anyone either.
      06-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #71
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Soooooooo...

...what did you decide?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #72
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Soooooooo...

...what did you decide?

No official decision. Just looking further into a few options.
Appreciate 0