BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
RoundTwo
Riff Raff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 8 spd bicycle

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2004 325Ci  [0.00]
DCT: Transmission Mode "6"

I was watching some videos on the forums and confirmed a previous concern.

I have an 2011.5 e92. I had the 1,200 mile break-in service done, but the highest transmission mode that my M-Drive allows is still 5. Is there something that my servicing dealer missed? As I thought I understood, mode 6 is unlocked during the break in service, and is required to engage launch control.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Before anyone says it, read the manual.

For a quick answer, it can only be accessed when dsc is off.
      05-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
Before anyone says it, read the manual.

For a quick answer, it can only be accessed when dsc is off.
This. Also, 6 is pointless unless you are drag racing, it will just increase wear on your transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
OerdingE93
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White E93 M3 DCT

Start car, Turn off DSC. bingo

|ESS VT1-550 510whp|MRF MID|AKRA REAR|CKS COILS|FORGESTAR|CSL TRUNK|GT4 Lip|3D-DESIGN
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

2011.75 no longer allow DSC-Off to be set for M Drive. This means you can't access S6.

This sucks.

You can, however, get it coded to remove that limitation...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
This. Also, 6 is pointless unless you are drag racing, it will just increase wear on your transmission.
very true.
      05-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
2011.75 no longer allow DSC-Off to be set for M Drive. This means you can't access S6.

This sucks.

I'm going to have to try this when I get in the car to confirm but my understanding is you cant slave it to the M button since you cant set DCS off but you can enter S6 manually.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I'm going to have to try this when I get in the car to confirm but my understanding is you cant slave it to the M button since you cant set DCS off but you can enter S6 manually.
Yup. Gotta turn off dsc and push the transmission setting rocker.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
crabman
Captain
Rep

Lol yeah I was pretty sure I had tried it but figured I'd better check before posting drivel.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Jamie430
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda

Nice post thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

This sucks.

Did not know this. This REALLY sucks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
RoundTwo
Riff Raff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 8 spd bicycle

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2004 325Ci  [0.00]
Thanks for all the feedback guys. The whole DSC thing didn't even dawn on me. I probably had no intentions on using it (S6) anyways, just didn't want to feel that if my dealer missed one thing, they could have missed another..

All in all, probably a good reason why they disallowed it in '11.75 models anyways.

Thanks again guys
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Assuming one doesn't use launch control, how does using S6 increase wear on the transmission?

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Assuming one doesn't use launch control, how does using S6 increase wear on the transmission?
LC wears out the clutches and the gears, using S6 wears out the gears but not the clutches. It just shifts so fast and hard that it puts unnecessary pressure on the gearbox. Try it under acceleration at high rpm and you can feel it. Similar to the fastest shift mode in SMG E46's, a few track guys have busted trans that way.

Basically it shifts up without allowing the revs to drop 100% to match the next gear. So it feels like it "surges" forward when you shift.

Personally I stick with S4 on track, still shifts very fast without bucking at all. S5 I've done before on track but the tiny decrease in shift time isn't worth the increased wear to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LC wears out the clutches and the gears, using S6 wears out the gears but not the clutches. It just shifts so fast and hard that it puts unnecessary pressure on the gearbox. Try it under acceleration at high rpm and you can feel it. Similar to the fastest shift mode in SMG E46's, a few track guys have busted trans that way.

Basically it shifts up without allowing the revs to drop 100% to match the next gear. So it feels like it "surges" forward when you shift.

Personally I stick with S4 on track, still shifts very fast without bucking at all. S5 I've done before on track but the tiny decrease in shift time isn't worth the increased wear to me.
I am not sure S6 would "wear" the gears faster. Most of the gear wear happens during normal meshing when the gearbox is turning. I agree, the shifts are much harsher, so it does put additional load during a very brief moment on the gears. I assume the gears were designed for this momentary increased load, so it should not be an issue. It should have very little impact on wear.

I can see how it can be worse on a SMG. During a shift, the gears are loaded in the reverse direction while the clutch is disengaged and then they see a peak load back in the other direction when the clutch slams shut. The impact of this going back and forth on the gear backlash could start cracks in the gears and lead to low cycle fatigue. On a DCT, since the clutches slip against one another, the gears are always loaded in the same direction, minimizing the effect of backlash impact.

The higher the shift mode, the more of the engine inertia from the RPM drop is recuperated to be converted in forward thrust, hence the surge. In theory, it should translate to more efficient shifts and better acceleration. I doubt that my limited driving abilities benefit from those hundreds of a second, however I do prefer the crispness and immediacy of the S6 shifts.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-09-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
crabman
Captain
Rep

It isn't just wear in the trans its the entire drive train that should be considered. There can be no question everything gets worked harder in higher S modes so the real question becomes does it make any significant difference to the lifespan of any of the effected parts? I don't have an answer but one thing that is telling to me is that they made S6 harder to access and that wasn't done without reason. If you start thinking about what that reason might be its hard not to put drive train issues or failure before the warranty expires at the top of the list.

Another thought is that it may not be the shifting level so much as driving style when at that level. It doesn't take long to figure out the aggressiveness of the shifting needs to match the way you are driving or else you end up with some rather unseemly clunkiness of the kind that you know isn't good. An example would be when stuck at low speed in traffic and you are shifting at low rpm and little load. I can get smooth shifts up to S4 in this condition but in S5 its hard to avoid the trans clunking into the next gear when I shift at times On the other hand I find S5 shifts fine with a hard but not clunky shift or bang when I'm driving in a more aggressive manner on the open road. You can pretty much figure there are people who bought these things and put it into the highest available settings in M drive and then keep the car in that mode even though they are not actually driving in a style that would be suited to the harder shifting.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
It isn't just wear in the trans its the entire drive train that should be considered. There can be no question everything gets worked harder in higher S modes so the real question becomes does it make any significant difference to the lifespan of any of the effected parts? I don't have an answer but one thing that is telling to me is that they made S6 harder to access and that wasn't done without reason. If you start thinking about what that reason might be its hard not to put drive train issues or failure before the warranty expires at the top of the list.
Usually when that's the case BMW will document that warning. I remember reading something about excessive wear from using launch control too often in the manual, but don't remember seeing something similar for S6 mode.

I'm speculating that in the case of S6 the harder shifts can increase the risk of lost traction which cannot be compensated by DSC, and could reduce overall performance and stability. I'm guessing this is why they allow access to S6 only with DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

This sucks.

is there no longer a button the center console to turn off DSC?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Another thought is that it may not be the shifting level so much as driving style when at that level. It doesn't take long to figure out the aggressiveness of the shifting needs to match the way you are driving or else you end up with some rather unseemly clunkiness of the kind that you know isn't good. An example would be when stuck at low speed in traffic and you are shifting at low rpm and little load. I can get smooth shifts up to S4 in this condition but in S5 its hard to avoid the trans clunking into the next gear when I shift at times On the other hand I find S5 shifts fine with a hard but not clunky shift or bang when I'm driving in a more aggressive manner on the open road. You can pretty much figure there are people who bought these things and put it into the highest available settings in M drive and then keep the car in that mode even though they are not actually driving in a style that would be suited to the harder shifting.
It's only a guess, but I figure the reason DSC needs to be disabled is because you can get a solid tire chirp when you shift in S6. So keeping DSC activated would negate the benefit of the crisper shift, DSC would always be engaging.

Further, if you shift at low RPM with moderate throttle, you get pretty smooth shifts in S6.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
crabman
Captain
Rep

Yeah, that was what I was saying. The shift firmness needs to match the driving style or else you get into clunky land on the higher modes. Again my thought was that this kind of low rpm driving without adaquate throttle to get smooth(er) shifts is probably being done by some and could be the reason it was made unavailable to the M button rather than it being the shifts at higher rpms and loads where it actually shifts more smoothly. I don't know this, its just a thought.

As to DCS traction control by any name can engage pretty much whenever they do or don't want it in any amount on any car so there is no reason they could not have allowed some scratch on shifts or completely disable it momentarily with a kick in for yaw (potential loss of control) if it follows the scratch. It is strictly a programming choice and in no way a limitation of the system. I'm saying this also pointed at the post before yours BTW. For an example in a corvette you can do slides, burn outs, etc while in comp mode and still have traction control backing you up if things get too lurid. IMO there is little doubt about the ability of DCS to handle S6. It could have been incorporated into the MDM mode but was not and I believe this came down to a choice, not capability.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

I drive in S5 all the time - even to the shops with the kids in the back!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
UM, My 2011.75 (12/2011) E92 M3 can program the M button to turn DCS off and put my DCT into S6? I do it everyday once its warmed up.