BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

08-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Lease take-over from USA

Hey guys, here's a tricky one:

The current lease on my 328xi coupe ends this November.
I want to drive an E92 M3 until the F82 comes out in 2015. That means for 2 years or so.
Leasing is my best and only option...

Since leasing a new M3 here in Canada is overly expensive (let alone a 2-year lease) and I can't find any lease take-over options in Canada, I was wondering if I could take-over an American lease. I have the American citizenship but I am living in Canada.

Is that possible? What's the catch?

Here's one of the take-over options from the US: http://www.swapalease.com/lease/deta...x?salid=750426
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
crunchy_frog
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

So... you want to lease the car in one country and drive it for 2 years in another country, right?

how were you planning to handle auto insurance for the car? which address were you planning to give the insurance company (us or canada)?

when you take over the lease what address were you planing to give the leasing company? which bank account were you planning to use.

when you drive across the border with this car the first time, when the border agent asks "anything to declare? purpose of the trip?" what answer are you planning to give?

i think if you answer these questions, the answer will become clearer to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

^ that's so true.

The very first call you should make is to ask your insurance company, if you can't even be insured with that car in Canada, you can simply write off the idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

There are ways to import a new car into Canada from the US but it is not always easy (depending on make and model). In order to title it up here you will need to have certain work done on it to make it meet Transport Canada regulations. Your leasing company, which owns the car, may not allow it. If they do allow it, they may demand that you return the car to US spec when the lease is up.

Also, you won't get it titled until the taxes on it are paid (HST, import duties, etc.). I don't think the leasing company will pony up for that.

In order to have the warranty honored up here you may need to have that work done at a BMW dealer. That may not be cheap and the leasing comapny may demand it to protect their investment.

Will the leasing company even allow the car out of the country? That may depend on how difficult they think a repo might be from Canada.

I'm not so sure this sounds like a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
I see things are much clearer now! Thanks for the advice guys
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am pretty sure it's not do-able on a lease. Why not buy a pre-owned and use it for the time you want in such case, you won't suffer too much from new car depreciation problem.