BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #353
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
on a dyno jet expect 15-20% reading loss and this is to the wheel, not crank

+6HP from stage 1 to stage 2, yeah it is small but from my stock dyno pull at 318...to 348...+30HP jump, I'm ok with

and again consider heat soak, warmer weather, rev limiter back to stock...I uploaded an updated stage 2 file last night at home so we'll see what that makes later on
I just went from stage 1 no test pipes to stage 2 with test pipes and I thought I would see a much bigger difference. It just feels a lot more smooth under acceleration. What did you do to update your stage 2 file?
Stage 2 when you go catless you lose bottom end torque because of less back pressure from the cats and gain more top end HP.

You need 3-4 pulls on the dyno to get accurate reads, on these vehicles as you do more and more pulls the reading goes higher. He did a single pull. I'm sure if he did a couple more the number would start climbing.
Appreciate 2
MPower790.00
E92M3GT101.00
      08-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #354
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
Quote:

+6HP from stage 1 to stage 2, yeah it is small but from my stock dyno pull at 318...to 348...+30HP jump, I'm ok with

and again consider heat soak, warmer weather, rev limiter back to stock...I uploaded an updated stage 2 file last night at home so we'll see what that makes later on
I just went from stage 1 no test pipes to stage 2 with test pipes and I thought I would see a much bigger difference. It just feels a lot more smooth under acceleration. What did you do to update your stage 2 file?
Stage 2 when you go catless you lose bottom end torque because of less back pressure from the cats and gain more top end HP.

You need 3-4 pulls on the dyno to get accurate reads, on these vehicles as you do more and more pulls the reading goes higher. He did a single pull. I'm sure if he did a couple more the number would start climbing.
Interesting, I didn't notice any loss of low end Alex. Actually pulled further on like non modded M's with stage 2 than with stage 1.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      08-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #355
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:

Since I have the valved ipe muffler, would closing the valves help increase back pressure to get more HP?

And on this run I tried to get the AFR. At this shop it’s been an issue with my car and some other BMW’s going to the shop but not for other makes. So the shop will let me know what parts he needs to order to make it read but he at least noted the computer didn’t recognize any knock.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #356
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:

i pulled 355 on dynojet in 100F+ with no tune and just test pipes. you need to be doing more pulls. as the computer adapts.
      08-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #357
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:

tune related: this tune is for power, different from your tune just for o2 sensors correct?

coding related: i've heard/read that you can now configure M button/mode to full DSC off? Is this true? Stock is unchanged, or MDM, or DSC on.
      08-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #358
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:

tune related: this tune is for power, different from your tune just for o2 sensors correct?

coding related: i've heard/read that you can now configure M button/mode to full DSC off? Is this true? Stock is unchanged, or MDM, or DSC on.
I do not have a tune to just go catless unless you custom request a stock file for catless car.

Some years of e9X m3s allow you to select DSC full off in m mode, other years it can be coded in yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #359
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I do not have a tune to just go catless unless you custom request a stock file for catless car.

Some years of e9X m3s allow you to select DSC full off in m mode, other years it can be coded in yes.
I did it some years ago with you, just wanted a tune to rid of the cel. could've been that. plus it was dirt dirt cheap aka most likely not a power tune.

Dang I need that M button coding done. I'll send you an email or text/
      08-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #360
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Quote:
Since I have the valved ipe muffler, would closing the valves help increase back pressure to get more HP?

And on this run I tried to get the AFR. At this shop it’s been an issue with my car and some other BMW’s going to the shop but not for other makes. So the shop will let me know what parts he needs to order to make it read but he at least noted the computer didn’t recognize any knock.
Do you have the IPE X pipe on your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #361
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Closing the flaps you'll get more torque. You should feel it when you are driving around in the city
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #362
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
Do you have the IPE X pipe on your car?
Oem mid pipe with 2ndaries and resonators deleted
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #363
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Closing the flaps you'll get more torque. You should feel it when you are driving around in the city
I’ll try that since I always leave it open in the city to scare children
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      08-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #364
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
i pulled 355 on dynojet in 100F+ with no tune and just test pipes. you need to be doing more pulls. as the computer adapts.
More pulls is the next plan
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #365
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
You should note that the runs were pulled in different condition, temp/humidity factors in.

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #366
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Interesting, I didn't notice any loss of low end Alex. Actually pulled further on like non modded M's with stage 2 than with stage 1.
I'll second this, but w/ pulley's maybe the loss of low-end was masked/minimized. It also felt like it rev'd to redline much quicker, minimizing the time spent in the low end rpm range.
      08-20-2018, 02:02 AM   #367
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I just did the stage 2 today and felt the loss in torque. The pull from my car is very linear now. Before I felt a power band at 4k. Now its gone, its just a very linear pull from start to finish. I have to get used to it, Before I would hover around 4k in case i wanted to pull hard but now I feel it's no longer there. The power is now evenly spread thru the entire rpm. Very different.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #368
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
I just did the stage 2 today and felt the loss in torque. The pull from my car is very linear now. Before I felt a power band at 4k. Now its gone, its just a very linear pull from start to finish. I have to get used to it, Before I would hover around 4k in case i wanted to pull hard but now I feel it's no longer there. The power is now evenly spread thru the entire rpm. Very different.
The tune does not cause you to lose bottom end torque, it actually adds in bottom end torque.

Stock pipes/cats help build up pressure causing more bottom end initial torque.

By removing the primary cats you do gain a great deal of top end HP, but if you are the guy who drives from light to light, 0-20mph all the time stock pipes might work best.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #369
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

So had my ECU and GTS tune installed last weekend and have driven about 300 miles..

1. The ECU tune seems to have resulted in about a 2mpg improvement in my overall driving which is 80 highway 20 city. I was getting about 260 miles a tank and have gone up to about 290 miles now.
2. The difference below 3k is very subtle but right after 3k, I notice a slight difference up to 5k and beyond that it seems even more stronger.
3. I did notice my idle seems smoother now, although it wasn't bad before its just the car is so quiet and void of any engine noise in the cabin.

As to the DCT tune..

1. Some of the low speed buck that I would get when moving or coming to a stop is gone, although when I would drive in d1-d3, I wouldnt notice it with the factory tune, only when in D4, D5. This GTS tune defaults to D2, and I can't tell if this was done on purpose to avoid the buck.

2. It seems like my engine start/stop is not working. Although I don't use it.

3. When I select D4, in auto mode, the car switches to manual mode as I come to a stop and have to put it back into auto mode. I think there is a software bug here but not sure if this is on purpose.

Curious if anyone has noticed the oddities I have on the GTS tune??
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #370
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

The problem is that you are using D modes. (kidding)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #371
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
So had my ECU and GTS tune installed last weekend and have driven about 300 miles..

1. The ECU tune seems to have resulted in about a 2mpg improvement in my overall driving which is 80 highway 20 city. I was getting about 260 miles a tank and have gone up to about 290 miles now.
2. The difference below 3k is very subtle but right after 3k, I notice a slight difference up to 5k and beyond that it seems even more stronger.
3. I did notice my idle seems smoother now, although it wasn't bad before its just the car is so quiet and void of any engine noise in the cabin.

As to the DCT tune..

1. Some of the low speed buck that I would get when moving or coming to a stop is gone, although when I would drive in d1-d3, I wouldnt notice it with the factory tune, only when in D4, D5. This GTS tune defaults to D2, and I can't tell if this was done on purpose to avoid the buck.

3. When I select D4, in auto mode, the car switches to manual mode as I come to a stop and have to put it back into auto mode. I think there is a software bug here but not sure if this is on purpose.

The bucking for sure has smoothed out from before but it is still there when slowing down.

You can usually mitigate it by slowing earlier, otherwise you'll face a harsh downshift jerk. Don't see any real way around that. It's just how these S65s are made, I guess. Gives the car such a different feel then any other car.

The D2 default is on purpose. Can easily shift with paddle and put it in S from there.

Factory had it default to S and you had to DCT stick shift again to move it to D.

Don't have auto on/off. So can't say on that.

Your file is jacked. Should not throw you out of D into S ever on its own.

The other way around, when in S, it can and will downshift on its own when slowing but that's the extent of it.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #372
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post

As to the DCT tune..

Contact Alex, he will sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #373
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

Yeah I contacted him and he told me its normal for GTS software...thats why I was wondering if the rest of you have noticed when putting into D4, the car switches to manual mode when coming to a stop...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #374
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
The problem is that you are using D modes. (kidding)
Lol, except not kidding.