BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Borla Atak exhaust for E90

I have heard a lot of aftermarket exhausts on E9x M3s. But the Borla Atak is the one. All my other immediate mod plans have been put on hold, because I want to buy this like... right now. The only issue I see is that they don't make one specifically for the E90. Am I missing something? I could easily cut and weld to adapt the way the tips stick out, but I was hoping there was a more out the box option. I hope this all makes sense, all input is helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

I ordered the Atak with the E90 part number. Turned out it didn't fit very well, pipes went out too far. Sold it to an E92 guy, didn't quite fit there either, pipes a tad short.
I also tryed Borlas Sport. Again ordered for E90, perfect fit.

FWIW a quick review: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457106

Cheers
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50
      08-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
I have heard a lot of aftermarket exhausts on E9x M3s. But the Borla Atak is the one. All my other immediate mod plans have been put on hold, because I want to buy this like... right now. The only issue I see is that they don't make one specifically for the E90. Am I missing something? I could easily cut and weld to adapt the way the tips stick out, but I was hoping there was a more out the box option. I hope this all makes sense, all input is helpful. Thanks!
the connection point at the x-pipe i's adjustable, and it perfectly fits the E90. I've had it on my car for 6 months now, no issues.
      08-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I ordered the Atak with the E90 part number. Turned out it didn't fit very well, pipes went out too far. Sold it to an E92 guy, didn't quite fit there either, pipes a tad short.
I also tryed Borlas Sport. Again ordered for E90, perfect fit.

FWIW a quick review: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457106

Cheers
Holy shit. That thread is perfect, thank you. One of the first mods I did to the car after I bought it was the OEM exhaust mod. It was great for a while, I loved it! And, as you mentioned in your thread, for the $$ - the OEM exhaust mod cannot be beat. For the last month or so though, I have been wanting something more. When I heard the Atak in person, I fell for it, fully. I'm going to go for it. If I'm not 100% happy with the way the tips stick out, I feel like that could be easily modified.

Thank you for your input! It was spot on!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar_M3 View Post
the connection point at the x-pipe i's adjustable, and it perfectly fits the E90. I've had it on my car for 6 months now, no issues.
That is good to know, thanks buddy! I'm going to be one happy girl once I get this exhaust on my car
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Holy shit. That thread is perfect, thank you. One of the first mods I did to the car after I bought it was the OEM exhaust mod. It was great for a while, I loved it! And, as you mentioned in your thread, for the $$ - the OEM exhaust mod cannot be beat. For the last month or so though, I have been wanting something more. When I heard the Atak in person, I fell for it, fully. I'm going to go for it. If I'm not 100% happy with the way the tips stick out, I feel like that could be easily modified.

Thank you for your input! It was spot on!
Fubar seems to have been more lucky than me. I pushed the pipes so they almost broke...still sticking out too much. Double checked with Borla, nope should be correct. Again the Sport fitted perfect so Borla clearly know how they should fit. The Atak I received had a few other welding flaws though so might been a bad ex.

I even went to an exhaust shop and reviewed a mod (shortening but also swap end pipes which didnt fit my taste). Bit of work to get it right though so skipped that idea.

The song coming out it great though!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Fubar seems to have been more lucky than me. I pushed the pipes so they almost broke...still sticking out too much. Double checked with Borla, nope should be correct. Again the Sport fitted perfect so Borla clearly know how they should fit. The Atak I received had a few other welding flaws though so might been a bad ex.

I even went to an exhaust shop and reviewed a mod (shortening but also swap end pipes which didnt fit my taste). Bit of work to get it right though so skipped that idea.

The song coming out it great though!

Cheers
This is what did me in lol. The sound was intoxicating. In my mind I was like -- just take my damn money already!! Then I found out how relatively inexpensive the Atak was, and I was even more pleased.

I really appreciate the solid info you have given me here, as well as on the thread of yours. I'm going to give Borla a call on Monday before I buy the Atak. I would have anyways, I always call a manufacturer or supplier and talk a little bit about what I want to purchase before I actually pull the trigger. At least for larger ticket items. I'm also going to look around for sound clips of the Sport so I can try and get an idea of what it sounds like compared to the Atak.

Thanks Helmsman! Your input is always appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
This is what did me in lol. The sound was intoxicating. In my mind I was like -- just take my damn money already!! Then I found out how relatively inexpensive the Atak was, and I was even more pleased.

I really appreciate the solid info you have given me here, as well as on the thread of yours. I'm going to give Borla a call on Monday before I buy the Atak. I would have anyways, I always call a manufacturer or supplier and talk a little bit about what I want to purchase before I actually pull the trigger. At least for larger ticket items. I'm also going to look around for sound clips of the Sport so I can try and get an idea of what it sounds like compared to the Atak.

Thanks Helmsman! Your input is always appreciated
If the Atak is what you heard and like you don't want the Sport mate. Trust me, its VERY bassy and don't produce any of the Ataks tunes. It is meant to be though, apparenty that goes well on the Mustang which apparently is a big market for Borla. Doesn't fly at all with the S65 though.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
DreamTime864.50
L4ces337.00
      08-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If the Atak is what you heard and like you don't want the Sport mate. Trust me, its VERY bassy and don't produce any of the Ataks tunes. It is meant to be though, apparenty that goes well on the Mustang which apparently is a big market for Borla. Doesn't fly at all with the S65 though.

Good luck!
Okay, cool. That's good to know. I'm going to stick with what I heard and liked, and I really liked the Atak. I'll be looking into it more tomorrow. Thank you, again
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #10
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Okay, cool. That's good to know. I'm going to stick with what I heard and liked, and I really liked the Atak. I'll be looking into it more tomorrow. Thank you, again
ATAK is life. The best exhaust for the S65! ( my opinion)
      08-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The sound was just too damn sexy lol. All my car mod research has derailed completely and I have been looking into exhausts in all my spare time now. The only question I have now is this -- there's no way the ATAK is too loud for tracks that have decibel restrictions, right? This would be the only bit of research I still need to look into so that I'm not screwing myself over at the track lol. I want LOUD, but I have to consider many factors... I guess
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The sound was just too damn sexy lol. All my car mod research has derailed completely and I have been looking into exhausts in all my spare time now. The only question I have now is this -- there's no way the ATAK is too loud for tracks that have decibel restrictions, right? This would be the only bit of research I still need to look into so that I'm not screwing myself over at the track lol. I want LOUD, but I have to consider many factors... I guess
with a catless xpipe it's pretty loud. I havent been to a track with sound restrictions yet, but I've been told on multiple occasions my car would be ok.
      08-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
with a catless xpipe it's pretty loud. I havent been to a track with sound restrictions yet, but I've been told on multiple occasions my car would be ok.
Fantastic! I'm calling Borla on my lunch break today to go over some things
Appreciate 1