BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #221
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Broke on the bottom where the connection to the remote reservoir screws in. Pretty strange so I want to talk to MCS first & try to figure out what happened. I'll follow up after I talk to them. Need to send them the rest for rebuild before next season anyways.
I know Hard Motorsports was having issues with MCS failures and quality control problems, I believe including some similar issues to what you experienced. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

They've since switched to KW Competition and are subsequently selling the kit that was developed between KW and I as an option for E92 M3's - which is cool to see, at least for me lol.

Last edited by tsk94; 10-05-2020 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #222
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Quote:
Broke on the bottom where the connection to the remote reservoir screws in. Pretty strange so I want to talk to MCS first & try to figure out what happened. I'll follow up after I talk to them. Need to send them the rest for rebuild before next season anyways.
That is abnormal failure. I wonder if that section was fatigued somehow previously? Most I have heard of is the seals let go prematurely though that is very rare.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #223
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
I know Hard Motorsports was having issues with MCS failures and quality control problems, I believe including some similar issues to what you experienced. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

They've since switched to KW Competition and are subsequently selling the kit that was developed between KW and I as an option for E92 M3's - which is cool to see, at least for me lol.
Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Hopefully can get it sorted with them. That's pretty cool being a part of the process on the KW kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
That is abnormal failure. I wonder if that section was fatigued somehow previously? Most I have heard of is the seals let go prematurely though that is very rare.
Yeah that is what we are thinking too, really a strange one.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #224
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
dogbone needs to come clean. His JRZ crusade led him to sabotage your car!!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      10-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #225
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
dogbone needs to come clean. His JRZ crusade led him to sabotage your car!!
dogbone!!!

I knew he didn't want me to break 2:20 at COTA first
Appreciate 4
DRLane3988.50
tsk941522.00
SYT_Shadow11490.00
b4hand661.00
      10-06-2020, 05:02 AM   #226
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
dogbone!!!

I knew he didn't want me to break 2:20 at COTA first
haha yeah that's me----always trying to hold everyone back! Never helping anyone.
Appreciate 3
OG Shark4692.50
SYT_Shadow11490.00
slcook541863.00
      10-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #227
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
haha yeah that's me----always trying to hold everyone back! Never helping anyone.
Yes now I realize that your suggestion to tilt the car & stuff the DCT full was actually just a clever ploy to get me to add more weight - not to get the DCT shifting better!

By the way that did the trick - started dropping back down into 2nd going through 1 in the last race and didn't have any issues. Needed everything I could get at that point to catch 1st.
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      10-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #228
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes now I realize that your suggestion to tilt the car & stuff the DCT full was actually just a clever ploy to get me to add more weight - not to get the DCT shifting better!

By the way that did the trick - started dropping back down into 2nd going through 1 in the last race and didn't have any issues. Needed everything I could get at that point to catch 1st.
haha oh I'm very clever indeed!

Glad you were able to get back into 2nd gear at T1 once the DCT was full. Crazy how that makes a difference huh?
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      10-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #229
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

btw I love duetsche post too
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      10-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #230
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
haha oh I'm very clever indeed!

Glad you were able to get back into 2nd gear at T1 once the DCT was full. Crazy how that makes a difference huh?
Yeah went from tripping up over half the time through there in 2nd gear at full pace to going through cleanly each time. Made all the difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
btw I love duetsche post too
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #231
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Wrapped up our first race weekend since February – had some crazy ups and downs but all in all was a huge success for us. We did win our class in two out of four races but the real success came in what we learned about the car, what I learned about racing, the experience our team gained as a crew at it's first time at a track/race, and just overall having an absolute awesome time this weekend.

Friday was two practices, qualy, and one 30 min sprint race. We rolled in at 3:00 that morning after a long day of getting the car ready. After a very refreshing two hours of sleep we headed out to the track for the first practice at 8:00. The practices went well so on to qualy. Unfortunately when we went to lower the car off the air jacks the left front didn't retract. Didn't get out on track until three minutes left in the session so pushed as hard as I could to get around to start/finish so we could log a lap. Being a three and half mile track it takes a bit to get around on cold tires – but I was on track to make it until the track went double yellow about 2/3 of the way through my out lap… starting last for the race. Race start goes well though – and I actually catch and pass all my class cars and in 4th overall by lap 4. Unfortunately (again) my left front strut gives up the ghost on lap 5 – race over, DNF. Worst to first (in class) back to worst

After another late night by the guys at M-Technik we were back up & running Saturday morning (these guys are absolute rock stars). The front MCS were swapped for the JRZ setup we previously ran. Running MCS coilovers on the rear so kept them in since the JRZ is a divorced setup. Ran the practice session – all good with the car. Did have a couple of glitches with the DCT though. Do have the Slon pan but still felt like a bit of starvation issue. Had a chat with dogbone who gave me the friendly reminder that we need to do the tilt method to get as much fluid into the DCT as possible . That cleared it up and on to qualy. Clocked a personal best at 2:22.453 for 1st in class & 3rd overall. The races both proved to be uneventful as the rest of my class were a bit back on pace or had issues that cost them time. Finished 1st in class for both races!

Sunday starts out with another PB in qualy with a 2:21.924, 1st in class. 2nd is right there with me though just 0.2 sec behind – shaping up to be a good race. First lap though my racing inexperience shows and I leave the door open for 2nd to stick his nose in and force me to let him through. My mistake presenting the opportunity – but he definitely jumped on it and made a solid pass. The car behind him got a bit wonky which forced me avoid and back out a bit so the first guy was able to get out in front a little as a result. I spent the next few laps catching & overtaking the 2nd guy who came through. About half way through the race I start gaining on 1st. I catch him with a couple of laps to go and start trying to work the pass. My driveshaft has other ideas though and decides to snap in half… Awesome race though – I learned more from this race than any other time I have spent on the track.
So all in all it was a great weekend. Somes ups, some downs, a bit of breakage, a bit more breakage – but we came out of the weekend a much better team than we started and with a much better understanding of the car. And just as important (if not more so) we all had an extremely enjoyable weekend.

The crew at M-Technik here in San Antonio – can't get a better group of guys to go racing with.

[IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...#38;fit=bounds[/IMG]
What compound of Yokohama slicks are you running? I find the soft compound is ready for qualifying on lap two.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #232
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
What compound of Yokohama slicks are you running? I find the soft compound is ready for qualifying on lap two.
Hard in races; medium in qualy.

The mediums turned on pretty quick as well - but I had them wayyyy overinflated. We talked to the yoko guys out there after that last qualy session - pretty much I had really botched the psi all weekend up to that point. But for what it is worth the mediums were pretty well ready to go after the warm up lap.

Have a private day out there next weekend - got a set of softs inbound just for that day
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #233
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Hard in races; medium in qualy.

The mediums turned on pretty quick as well - but I had them wayyyy overinflated. We talked to the yoko guys out there after that last qualy session - pretty much I had really botched the psi all weekend up to that point. But for what it is worth the mediums were pretty well ready to go after the warm up lap.

Have a private day out there next weekend - got a set of softs inbound just for that day
I have plenty of new and used soft compound Yoko slicks available. They have been great for 35 minute races in 85-90 degree weather.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #234
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I have plenty of new and used soft compound Yoko slicks available. They have been great for 35 minute races in 85-90 degree weather.
The consistency of the hards was excellent this weekend in that same temperature range. So you had good results with the softs in those same conditions too? Very interesting... How much of a time delta were you seeing between the two compounds? How much fall off seeing over the 35mins with the softs?

What sizes you looking at unloading?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #235
OG Shark
Rep

More pics from the weekend

Appreciate 2
tsk941522.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      10-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #236
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
What's the handling like with the super high rear spring rate? Mega sharp front end?
      10-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #237
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I love that wrap. Almost BMW Art Car
Appreciate 1
M3SQRD2164.00
      10-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #238
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
What's the handling like with the super high rear spring rate? Mega sharp front end?
Very happy with the handling - even with the slightly unique JRZ front / MCS rear we ran over the weekend

With a square set up the car is for the most part pretty balanced right now. Turn in is sharp & precise; exit has a hint of oversteer that we will try to dial down a bit when we have time for setup testing - but can certainly live with it at that level if needed. Will also be testing out different springs rates as we move forward though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I love that wrap. Almost BMW Art Car
Almost, but not quite And again - no one is allowed to see it within 20'. Have a little something different planned for when the new body panels go on
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      10-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #239
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Very happy with the handling - even with the slightly unique JRZ front / MCS rear we ran over the weekend

With a square set up the car is for the most part pretty balanced right now. Turn in is sharp & precise; exit has a hint of oversteer that we will try to dial down a bit when we have time for setup testing - but can certainly live with it at that level if needed. Will also be testing out different springs rates as we move forward though.

Almost, but not quite And again - no one is allowed to see it within 20'. Have a little something different planned for when the new body panels go on
In terms of a 'sharp front end', if you are referring to turn in, front spring rate is what determines that. High front spring rate (especially when relative to the rear), is what creates fast transient response, ie. sharp and positive initial turn in. The high rear spring rate that OG Shark is running will influence mid corner balance and exit oversteer like he explained.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      10-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #240
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In terms of a 'sharp front end', if you are referring to turn in, front spring rate is what determines that. High front spring rate (especially when relative to the rear), is what creates fast transient response, ie. sharp and positive initial turn in. The high rear spring rate that OG Shark is running will influence mid corner balance and exit oversteer like he explained.
I was more thinking about SS grip balance. I always want more front end.
      10-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #241
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was more thinking about SS grip balance. I always want more front end.
I see. The higher rear rate will definitely make the car have less understeer bias in the steady-state. But overall grip, specifically in the front, is unaffected by the higher rear rate. You'll need a bigger or stickier tire to get more grip, or soften the spring rates (if they are too high already) to maximize mechanical grip.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #242
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see. The higher rear rate will definitely make the car have less understeer bias in the steady-state. But overall grip, specifically in the front, is unaffected by the higher rear rate. You'll need a bigger or stickier tire to get more grip, or soften the spring rates (if they are too high already) to maximize mechanical grip.
Well, if too soft you will lose grip as well, and have to battle with f'd up tire wear.