BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Phil_M_Robinson
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Rear Lower Control Arm Bush upgrades

Hi all,

I am looking at refurbishing my rear subframe in preparation for track days

I am going to fit the ECS Lower Rear Trailing Arms, replacing the flimsier OEM ones.

As these ECS arms do not come with any bushes, are there any bush alternatives to OEM for this position? Referring to 7 and 8# in the below diagram...:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1408

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Bimmerworld has them and I have both waiting to be installed. I just need to set an appointment to have them pressed in.
      08-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Ecs lower rear trailing arms are not # 8. Those are lower control arm/spring arm. You need rear trailing arm bushings number 7. One un each subframe hole and other in the arm itself near the knuckle. You dont need a press for these either as they pop out once bolt is removed. that only bimmerworld has an option for. They dont press into the subframe like the spring arm oneswhich bimmerworld also has a kit for. I had solid trailing arm bimmetworld bushings and ecs trailing srm but that arm is soley responsible for keeping the wheel in place during forward movement over bumps and undulations and solid bushings made an extremely hatsh ride. I changed to new oem bushings coypled with ecs trailing arm and it was way better. That piece doesnt really need much change from oem other than many have bent that arm despitte no percievable hit to it and one person lost it on COTA a few years back. Therefore i wanted the stronger arm for that purpose and ecs said its still designed to deform under an accident to not shoot up and damage fuel tank as you can see it sits at a 45 degree angle. Im afraid oem arm was too flimsy

So i would install it with new oem rubber bushings inless you want an extremly jarring ride which was even too much on track.
Appreciate 1
ebisu81070.50
      08-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
Phil_M_Robinson
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Many thanks indeed for both replies - new, fresh OEM it is!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
Ecs lower rear trailing arms are not # 8. Those are lower control arm/spring arm. You need rear trailing arm bushings number 7. One un each subframe hole and other in the arm itself near the knuckle. You dont need a press for these either as they pop out once bolt is removed. that only bimmerworld has an option for. They dont press into the subframe like the spring arm oneswhich bimmerworld also has a kit for. I had solid trailing arm bimmetworld bushings and ecs trailing srm but that arm is soley responsible for keeping the wheel in place during forward movement over bumps and undulations and solid bushings made an extremely hatsh ride. I changed to new oem bushings coypled with ecs trailing arm and it was way better. That piece doesnt really need much change from oem other than many have bent that arm despitte no percievable hit to it and one person lost it on COTA a few years back. Therefore i wanted the stronger arm for that purpose and ecs said its still designed to deform under an accident to not shoot up and damage fuel tank as you can see it sits at a 45 degree angle. Im afraid oem arm was too flimsy

So i would install it with new oem rubber bushings inless you want an extremly jarring ride which was even too much on track.
Is this why they suggest tack welding it in place? I didn't realize that the OEM ones come out so easily. If that's the case, I should be able to do this in my garage.
      08-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

They tecommend welding the spring arm bushing. These are trailing arm. Totally different bushing here. Op mixed up the two
Appreciate 0