BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-09-2024, 08:11 PM   #1
mmoroko92
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Hello all, I recently got new brakes on my E92 M3 and since I plan on tracking the car this season I went with Hawk DTC 70’s and was just going to run them every day so I wouldn’t have to swap pads constantly. I knew there was going to be noise but it’s a lot worse than I was expecting lol. My question is, I’m looking at the Hawk HPS as my street pad and keeping my DTC 70’s just for track. Are the HPS a good street pad (not super noise with 10 tons of brake dust)? And should I re-bed my brakes every time I swap them? And how should I bed them in? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 11:57 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

As you found out, you cannot drive on the street with race brake pad compounds. Every once in awhile, someone gets lucky and can drive a race pad on the street quietly. Also, you shouldn’t do it because race pads not up to temp literally machine away your brake rotors.

You’ll read online about race pads and street pads are not compatible but in my 35+ years of tracking, I have not once had an issue with swapping back and forth between race pads and street pads. I suppose there’s some combo of pads that are incompatible but I haven’t found it.

I tried the Hawk HPS pads as a street pad on my e46 M3 and I absolutely hated it. It didn’t bite old and it didn’t bite hot. Hawk may have altered the pad compound since I used it but I’ll never try it again. For the street, are you looking for a daily driving type of brake pad or a high performance carving thru the mountains type of brake pad? High dust or low dust? Totally quiet or some squealing is ok?
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy683.50
      04-10-2024, 12:00 AM   #3
mmoroko92
Rep

I would look for a somewhat high performance street pad, a little dust is fine but preferably nothing too crazy but I’d rather keep it down in noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:12 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Check out Endless CCRg. It's a track pad that's streetable (barely) but it does tend to chew up rotors if u don't have really high quality rotors.

Generally you can swap pads from the same manufacturer without worrying too much about bedding in again.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:25 PM   #5
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

I just threw Akeboner pads on my car for the street. Good bite when cold and minimal dust, less dust than every other pad I've used. Too much initial bite for my taste but I don't really like much initial bite.

I have not tested them on a hard backroad drive, but during my commute no heat issues.

I would def recommend them as a street pad.

once in a while when cold I get a mild squeal but I never greased them or installed those shims.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:02 AM   #6
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
You’ll read online about race pads and street pads are not compatible but in my 35+ years of tracking, I have not once had an issue with swapping back and forth between race pads and street pads. I suppose there’s some combo of pads that are incompatible but I haven’t found it.
Exactly my experience. I go between stock, Akebono Euro, PFC 11, DTC70s and DTC60 on my E92 and F82 a lot and have never experienced anything weird. I just interchange them based on what im doing and go about my business without doing anything extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
I just threw Akeboner pads on my car for the street. Good bite when cold and minimal dust, less dust than every other pad I've used. Too much initial bite for my taste but I don't really like much initial bite.

I have not tested them on a hard backroad drive, but during my commute no heat issues.

I would def recommend them as a street pad.

once in a while when cold I get a mild squeal but I never greased them or installed those shims.
I run the Akebono Euro on the street in all of my cars. They are quiet, dont have as much initial bite as OEM, but also have essentially zero dust. And I have a set of white wheels that appreciates that However, I can fade the Akebono Euro and make them smell in one single high-speed stop (100mph to 0) coming off the highway down to the offramp stop light, so they aren't great in that regard. I have autocrossed with them and my only complaint is the initial bite is lacking, but I can still lock them up and engage ABS at any point, so it's still drivable in that arena. Great street pad, and absolutely not a track pad or high-speed braking pad. Canyons and autocross are manageable.
      04-11-2024, 03:07 PM   #7
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
However, I can fade the Akebono Euro and make them smell in one single high-speed stop (100mph to 0) coming off the highway down to the offramp stop light, so they aren't great in that regard.
Yeah this is the one thing I haven't tested them yet. My last set were Ferrodo street pads (super dusty) and I use Ferrodo track pads (very super dusty) but neither of those have any initial bite at all, so that's why I thought that.

But if the Akebozos can stand a little canyon carving then they're darn near perfect street pad for me (I have seperate track pads)

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 12:33 PM   #8
mmoroko92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
I run the Akebono Euro on the street in all of my cars. They are quiet, dont have as much initial bite as OEM, but also have essentially zero dust. And I have a set of white wheels that appreciates that However, I can fade the Akebono Euro and make them smell in one single high-speed stop (100mph to 0) coming off the highway down to the offramp stop light, so they aren't great in that regard. I have autocrossed with them and my only complaint is the initial bite is lacking, but I can still lock them up and engage ABS at any point, so it's still drivable in that arena. Great street pad, and absolutely not a track pad or high-speed braking pad. Canyons and autocross are manageable.
I believe I ran those on my E46 and had no complaints. How would bedding be when switching to track pads from those and vise versa
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 12:51 PM   #9
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Check out Endless CCRg. It's a track pad that's streetable (barely) but it does tend to chew up rotors if u don't have really high quality rotors.

Generally you can swap pads from the same manufacturer without worrying too much about bedding in again.
The bedding process does 2 things. First thing is that it "bakes" the lining material, which finishes the sintering process. And the second thing ads lining material on the rotor. After a pad replacement you should always follow the manufacturer bedding procedure.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 04:11 PM   #10
mmoroko92
Rep

Also The akebono pads don’t have any bedding in procedure, do you guys still bed them?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:46 PM   #11
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I never really bed street pads lol. But that's me. Some hard braking zones on a backroad should be enough. Just don't come to a complete stop.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:27 AM   #12
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
I've been on Stoptech Sport pads for about 6 years now and they are a good "compromise" pad. Higher temp than OEM but has decent cold bite - I've used them throughout northeast US winters - and low dust. Even used them for a track day (intermediate group so nothing crazy) a while back and they held up nicely. There was some soft pedal by the end of the day but no significant pad fade. Seem to have good wear characteristics on the street too.

I tried Hawk HPS on a different car years ago for the street and hated them in the cold temps and rain. Would never try them again.
      04-17-2024, 11:58 AM   #13
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Carbotech 1521 and Cobalt XR5 are great street performance pads with minimal dust. I haven’t tried the Akebono Euro’s but I’ve from many people saying they are a good street pad, not a street performance pad.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:01 AM   #14
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Everything you want or need to know about bedding and swapping from street to race pads is in these videos.

Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      04-19-2024, 07:58 AM   #15
vitalsigns
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Another vote for Akebono Euro pads. Essentially zero dust with some but not much braking compromise as compared to OEM.
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50