BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #23
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
This is no longer the 1980's where everyone comes and creates the American dream; those days are long over.
I have to disagree on this point.

People have gotten filthy rich in the right cities. I personally know people making a killing in the likes of Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. Stock options are through the roof. People bought up properties in the Seattle area a few years ago and are cashing in big time.

One of my buddies went to college with me and is now doing well at Amazon. His parents came here from India poor and uneducated but they were able to set their son up to succeed in life. Same story with my mom 30 yrs ago. This is the greatest country!
2 issues with your point-

1) you isolated yourself to the tech industry... that is happening everyone right now... go to Eastern Europe and see at what standard a sw engineer can live in a country like Poland. I think you'll be shocked when u find they can make $150k a year lol in a country where the cost of living is fractionsnof what it is hers.

2) The other example of your family is again many years ago...

This is not to say that examples don't appear where you can succeed very well; it is just uncommonly rare. You can no longer make something out of nothing...
      09-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #24
Yugo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Take it from an immigrant, this is the best place in the world to live, work and be. While the playfing field might not be even for everyone, everyone can make a good living if they chose to do so. And yes, best place for sole proprietors and entrepreneurs. What ever it is that you do you are open to a wider market and client base here, but do keep in mind as someone has pointed out it's a harsh competitive market.

As far as taxes go, if your business is a sole proprietorship you will enjoy lowest tax rates in the world, however if you form a c Corp you will be doing the opposite.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      09-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #25
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

I think it would be very bold to pick up and move to the States without employment. How about answering some ads from companies you'd like to work for first and lineup some interviews at least try to set something up where you can make money and get your feet wet. And of course right now, probably hard to gain citizenship which is needed.How are you going to go about that?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
whatever you do- don't come to california. its a cesspool over here. i'm likely going to move to a different state when i retire that isn't as accommodating to lazy people.

what business are you in? planning on continuing the same business here? where in the US have you visited?

funny thing is, i perceive australia as being clean and friendly. to be honest, i don't know much about your culture or daily life, i guess we are just sick of the same social problems.
I am with you on the downsides of California (taxes, homelessness, catering to bums, etc.), but there is still no place I'd rather spend my life. I have lived in places with crappy weather my entire life and every time I go to SoCal I am just in awe by the weather and how many things there are to do. I am just counting down the days until I can settle down there.

You don't realize how good you have it until you live in a place with crap weather and/or nothing to do.
The hardest part would be leaving the activities. No doubt there. I can go to the beach, desert, and snow in one day. And I'm within about five hours of 6+ race tracks. The weather isn't on my list of complaints. Lol
      09-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
2 issues with your point-

1) you isolated yourself to the tech industry... that is happening everyone right now... go to Eastern Europe and see at what standard a sw engineer can live in a country like Poland. I think you'll be shocked when u find they can make $150k a year lol in a country where the cost of living is fractionsnof what it is hers.

2) The other example of your family is again many years ago...

This is not to say that examples don't appear where you can succeed very well; it is just uncommonly rare. You can no longer make something out of nothing...
My example is of a friend who graduated college under 5 yrs ago. But I am likely much younger than you so I trust your judgment. I wasn't alive in the '80s.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #28
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
I give my mind without asking a dozen or so followups, it's never easy if it's work after a few years of business ownership. It changes, it builds, gain capitol rinse repeat. If I could walk a mile in your shoes this is what I'd do. Sell your business or accept the offer you've contemplated. I'm an avid backpacker when I was 33 began thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. 34 moved to Chicago, 36 finished my section hike of the AT.

Practice or trade, own a franchise it's like buying a marriage. Taxes here will be high but I've also lived were they are lower, the services included with higher taxes have seemed worth it in my eye.

I wanted to move to Chicago, hindsight 20/20 wish I'd done it at 24 not 34, I love my Chicago area life. You've been to the states so move where you've wanted to or been encouraged to move to. If you love it stay, if you don't you'd have a story.
illinois is a shithole for business.

OP.
the largest difference in the US is that states set their own taxation rates and regulations for business.

Pick one that is friendly. THe west coast is screwed for small business.
Some of the east coast is terrible (MA and MD I'm looking at you) and the south and midwest are generally the cheapest areas to live and do business in.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #29
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Everyone has their own opinions, but I lived in the US twice. I spent almost 2 years in Houston, Tx in 1978-79; and spent a year in Denver, Co in 1983. I have lived in western Canada the rest of the time.

Would I move to the US again? Never. The cost of health care, the gun culture and the egomaniac madman president are huge negatives. On the positive side, the people I met down there during my stays were great, and I am still friends with a few of them.

To each his own...........
lol.

I know a lot of canadians that own a lot of guns.
in fact, they have stuff that I wish I could get. Short barrled shotguns, Norinco M14s and 1911s.
Cool stuff that's NFA in the US.

The evil gun culture is quite alive in the great white north. You're all gonna die, just like us.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #30
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
lol.

I know a lot of canadians that own a lot of guns.
in fact, they have stuff that I wish I could get. Short barrled shotguns, Norinco M14s and 1911s.
Cool stuff that's NFA in the US.

The evil gun culture is quite alive in the great white north. You're all gonna die, just like us.
The gun culture up here is NOWHERE near what it is in the US. Not even close.
      09-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #31
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

I guess you're just not hanging out with the right people then.
Appreciate 1
JamesWWIII2932.00
      09-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #32
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I guess you're just not hanging out with the right people then.
Maybe not, thankfully, but then I have only lived in Canada for over 70 years............I may know a bit more about guns in Canada than someone who lives in Ohio............
      09-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #33
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe not, thankfully, but then I have only lived in Canada for over 70 years............I may know a bit more about guns in Canada than someone who lives in Ohio............
and yet you felt compelled to comment about"gun culture" in the US with your vast experience that you gained 40 years ago over the course of a few years.

and I doubt it, like I said, I know a lot of gun owners in canada. So I'll assume that my knowledge surpasses someone that refers to "gun culture" and obviously wants nothing to do with it.

good day sir.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #34
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
The gun culture up here is NOWHERE near what it is in the US. Not even close.
Dude, you don’t have to keep giving people reasons not to move to America’s Hat.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #35
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
and yet you felt compelled to comment about"gun culture" in the US with your vast experience that you gained 40 years ago over the course of a few years.

and I doubt it, like I said, I know a lot of gun owners in canada. So I'll assume that my knowledge surpasses someone that refers to "gun culture" and obviously wants nothing to do with it.

good day sir.
I am guessing I lived in the US longer than you have lived in Canada.

There is no point arguing with someone as unaware as you.

Good day to you as well.
      09-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #36
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

If weather was a consideration, I've heard North & South Carolina are great; not too hot & rarely cold. Virginia & Georgia also good. Likely much hotter but everything in Texas is good (comment from above) and Las Vegas is booming. Also reasonable weather & job opportunities in Oregon & Washington state.

I've known people from Australia and they have not regretted getting out if only for a few years to see what it's like on the other side of the fence. The boy of one couple really liked playing hockey. Do they have hockey in Australia?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #37
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
I give my mind without asking a dozen or so followups, it's never easy if it's work after a few years of business ownership. It changes, it builds, gain capitol rinse repeat. If I could walk a mile in your shoes this is what I'd do. Sell your business or accept the offer you've contemplated. I'm an avid backpacker when I was 33 began thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. 34 moved to Chicago, 36 finished my section hike of the AT.

Practice or trade, own a franchise it's like buying a marriage. Taxes here will be high but I've also lived were they are lower, the services included with higher taxes have seemed worth it in my eye.

I wanted to move to Chicago, hindsight 20/20 wish I'd done it at 24 not 34, I love my Chicago area life. You've been to the states so move where you've wanted to or been encouraged to move to. If you love it stay, if you don't you'd have a story.
Quote:
illinois is a shithole for business.

OP.
the largest difference in the US is that states set their own taxation rates and regulations for business.

Pick one that is friendly. THe west coast is screwed for small business.
Some of the east coast is terrible (MA and MD I'm looking at you) and the south and midwest are generally the cheapest areas to live and do business in.

nsjames lives in an area of the world I'm very familiar with. I've lived in Port Clinton, Sandusky and Bryan, OH. Mother was born in Cleveland, Grandmother lives in Dayton with family living in Cincy, Columbus, Medina. It's not ok to insult where I live out of ignorance. I have plenty to insult or compliment from my experience of OH, however nsjames appears to put others down to make his viewpoint look better to himself and I don't care to enter into his level.

I never suggested Attuale move to Illinois. I merely spoke about a place with lower taxes(OH and IN), higher taxes and more services worthy of my favor(Chicago, IL). I suggested to Attuale "You've been to the states so move where you've wanted to or been encouraged to move to."

Attuale if you do move to the states, Chicago is a great place to conduct business and our many Pubs celebrate Australia Day. When you want to explore our nation, air travel in and out of ORD direct flights for both domestic and international is the Best. BMW's finest Chicagoland dealership is 10-15mins from ORD and we have an incredible New M selection instock including M5 2-M5 comp, 1st edition frozen dk Red M5, 1-M3 CS, 2-M2, 4-M3, 2-M4. Above all I hope you find the love of life I enjoy where you end up!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #38
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Depends what business you have and how much write off you can do. I know a guy who made about 200k last year and payed almost 60k taxes. They take crazy takes from people if you make 200k+.
LOL. Income tax on $200,000p.a. in Australia is $67,000. You can add another $5000 to that if/when our idiot Labor opposition win the next election.

Then there's 10% GST on everything, "luxury car tax" on nearly every model in the BMW range and a whole lot of other BS taxes.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #39
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
I think it would be very bold to pick up and move to the States without employment. How about answering some ads from companies you'd like to work for first and lineup some interviews at least try to set something up where you can make money and get your feet wet. And of course right now, probably hard to gain citizenship which is needed.How are you going to go about that?
Exactly. You can't just "move to the USA". You will either need family there, a job-offer already in place or be a student. Otherwise you are on a tourist visa or as an Australian, on a visa waiver which means you can't work.

Find a job with a US employer first and get them to sponsor you for a visa. This may then lead to down the path to permanent residency and/or citizenship but there are a lot of hoops to jump through and a fair bit of luck required.

Or just arrive illegally then claim asylum..........good luck with that with the Don in charge.

I lived and worked there for two years (ADF exchange with the USAF). Time of my life, living in Virginia
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #40
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I live in NY and own two business. You get the best of some things and the worst of others. There are plenty of other states that don't have as high school/property/state taxes like NY so cost of living would be much less but here it's crazy. The city, forget it...you'll be living in a shoe box. Property/school taxes annually are 11k per year on my property in long island NY. I have .25 acre property with a 3BR 2.5 bath house. Avg home price in my neighborhood is $550k

This being said we are in a very good school district so when my kid goes to school I won't have to shell out for private schooling, my neighborhood is very low crime and pretty safe. I feel like everything is relative to a certain point but I still feel NY is expensive.

As for the business aspect, it's pretty good since we are a capatilistic country so ways to make money are endless. Our tax laws allow us to "write off" expenses against our gross business income which allows you to pay all your expenses and whatnot essentially tax free. Healthcare quality/skill is top tier but since Obama ruined it, it's too expensive to afford on your own so you or your s/o need to work for a company where they're getting s group rate. Even through the company my wife works at, there's a 3k deductible and it costs us $816 per month for a family plan which is crazy. Any plan offered standalone is easily double with 10k deductibles. The only real affordable healthcare now is through a government or city job but then your trade off for that is lower salary.

I don't know anything about Australia or how it works but just like everything else it's going to have it's good and bad. The grass is always greener
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #41
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Pull up stats and articles on the best places to live in terms of job opportunity, quality of healthcare, and standard of living. Most will tell you the east coast -- especially the Northeast. Cost of living might be higher in some east coast cities, but there are affordable areas with great neighborhoods and low crime. There will be a lot more job opportunities as the economy is very strong in the East.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #42
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
And you think the US is not like that? I work as a nurse, the more I make the more the government takes. If that is not enough, you got these loonies in the state of California who put a gas tax on top of tax to pay for their crap. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Question for the OP: are you thinking of selling your business, then obtaining a visa with the intent of taking $500K with you and opening up a business here, and employing US citizens?

If not, one of the most important things you'll need to ask is how you'll immigrate.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #44
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

I moved to Canada, in my mid-to late 40's
biggest mistake I made.

AGE... is a big big decider... The Younger you are when you immigrate the easier, personally I would advise no-one over 25 to move, unless your coming from a refugee, bad economic, or 3rd world country.

The grass always looks greened and it isnt.

I "thought" I had all the answers, I didnt

thing about 1> familly 2> social life 3> pension 4> job 5> education 6> culture

I came from the UK to Can, a big but subtle change.

Oz is a nice country, been there twice, Melbourne and brizzy,
I would say, IF you got the finances, GO for 6 months live there and and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
Hi guys,

I thought that this might be the place to ask for opinions on this. I am currently 32, and have been debating about moving to the US for a few years now. My reasoning? Here goes..

I was born in Sydney, Australia and whilst Australia is a great country to live, I always feel like I am missing out on something. I've been running my own business for five years, and I feel as if the harder you work in this place, the more the government just takes, takes and takes. Our system seems to be that, if you're a complete moron and don't wish to succeed and laze about all day, the government looks after you. Further to that, the operational cost of a business here is very high coupled with a high cost of living.

We also miss out on a lot of things that the rest of the world gets, because we're too damn far away and unimportant. Travelling is also ridiculously tiring and expensive because of the great distances.

I've visited the US four times. 2007, 2014, 2016 and 2017. Each and every time I have been there, I get this great vibe and energy that I don't get here in Australia. So whilst I am still relatively young and do not have a family, I want to have a go in the US otherwise I will regret it, and life is too short for regrets.

In regards to advice, what I am looking for is what is the American business culture like and what is it like to run a business over there? Is it a take take take culture like here or do you actually get to put money away rather than always be crushed by the system? What are employees like? Is there a lot of red tape to conducting business? I've always seen the US as much more capitalist than Australia, but in saying that I've had zero experience in anything relating to corporate law, consumer law or any other areas about running a business in the US.

Would love to hear some general feedback.
Appreciate 0