BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #67
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I work a few blocks away from the Tenderloin area and walk past drug dealers, drug users, homeless people (most of whom are drug users or have mental issues). Sometimes I'll see tourists wandering around. While I know there are dangerous places to be in the city - they do not. Someone should be telling them to avoid those areas.

As for things getting worse, it hasn't... it's been about the same for the past 30 years or so. I grew up in SF and it hasn't changed. What has changed is that there are a ton more people than before. Rent is high so people are moving into these bad areas that locals would avoid. So there is a lot more visibility into these problems.

There isn't really a solution either. You'd need to get homeless into mental institutions, get druggies into rehab programs etc. All of which cost a lot of money and not many of them can be productive members of society even with help. There are a few programs which help such as paying homeless people to do street cleaning - it helps those that are able to work and cleans the streets at the same time. But the majority which have mental and drug issues need a lot more than just a job.

If you really want to not see all this stuff - go the the nice areas in SF. The Marina, Pacific Heights, the Richmond, Sunset and other places. You'll rarely see homeless and its safe for children to play outdoors. These areas are very suburban and residential. I guess people would call them "boring" if they're looking for the "big city" life.
i dont think i can agree with this. I also grew up downtown in SF, family has had businesses in the TL area all my life. It has always been sketchy, but never did I have to watch where i walked at all times to avoid stepping in human shit. Also there were never this many break-ins, that shit is outa control with the new slap on the wrist laws. Also we got a huge influx of vagrants after hurricane Katrina, and those vagrant transplants never left.... its definately at an all time shit hole low at the moment, if you think being out in the sunset or richmond district isolates you from this mess you are kidding yourself. The crime is actually worse out there, check out the statistics for home invasion robbery in those 2 areas, its terrible. Asians are definately the target, as they tend to have gold/cash in the house. My good friends family house has had the front door kicked in 2x, once grandma was still home and scared shitless. I have had my house broken into 2x in the last year, and i live rite off Lake St in the richmond...
DrFerry6725.50
      08-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #68
firstbimmer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 & '15 f15 X5 35i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
i dont think i can agree with this. I also grew up downtown in SF, family has had businesses in the TL area all my life. It has always been sketchy, but never did I have to watch where i walked at all times to avoid stepping in human shit. Also there were never this many break-ins, that shit is outa control with the new slap on the wrist laws. Also we got a huge influx of vagrants after hurricane Katrina, and those vagrant transplants never left.... its definately at an all time shit hole low at the moment, if you think being out in the sunset or richmond district isolates you from this mess you are kidding yourself. The crime is actually worse out there, check out the statistics for home invasion robbery in those 2 areas, its terrible. Asians are definately the target, as they tend to have gold/cash in the house. My good friends family house has had the front door kicked in 2x, once grandma was still home and scared shitless. I have had my house broken into 2x in the last year, and i live rite off Lake St in the richmond...
I totally agree. From my personal experience the last 5 years have been noticeably worse in SF than 10-20 years ago, and all the idiotic programs that have been instituted seem to only be making the situation worse in the eyes of the average resident. Given the policies being promoted now and the refusal of anyone in the SF city/county government willing to acknowledge that the "progressive" efforts have failed to improve the situation (seems to make things worse from my view on the ground), it's only a matter of time until a political reckoning occurs. I give it another 5-10 years of failed policies. People who live in SF will literally step on human feces and used needles every time they leave their house before acknowledging that liberal views are not always the answer to every world problem.
Appreciate 2
m3jala543.50
DrFerry6725.50
      08-31-2018, 10:38 PM   #69
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I told a buddy of mine about my experience and his first reply was, "it's Gotham City dude". I almost pissed myself.
      09-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #70
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
just bought a company in SF wtf did i do
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #71
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Make sure your employees have good parking and or safe passage to their cars.
      09-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #72
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

What a shithole.

Have to wonder who's in charge of such a disaster?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #73
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
It's a shame and even a crime that the city government won't own the problem. Pass and enforce loitering and vagrancy laws. Provide shelter, care and rehab via charity organizations and build new government institutions to house and care for the mentally ill. Taxes are so high, some money could go to build new facilities. Repeat offenders or those not willing to help themselves or take help offered get put in jail. If none of that works the kind and compassionate city leaders that foster this tragedy should open up their own homes as safe injection sites.
The city spent $160 million on homeless last year. They're looking to increase that quite a bit this year.

It's not all for lack of effort. In a place where the average home price is over $1M, providing housing is not cheap but they are building new housing for homeless to spend the night. There are rehab programs, places that provide meals, job training etc. Jails are already full. With housing costs for prisoners at nearing $100k per person a year, it's costing tax payers a lot of money to put someone in jail - only the worst offenders go to jail. Heck, SF even offers homeless a free a one way ticket to anywhere they want to go if they ask!

Believe me, everyone is trying... it's not an easy problem. Short of just lining people up before a firing squad and putting them out of their misery, there isn't much else to do.
I agree that it is a hard problem. I feel like a dueche pointing this all out with no ideas to offer. I agree the city could not be accused of zero response or efforts but at no point has there been ownership nor acknowledgement of the issue. It's denial that has incubated the issue and progressed its status to today's capacity.
      09-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #74
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Post View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I agree that it is a hard problem. I feel like a dueche pointing this all out with no ideas to offer. I agree the city could not be accused of zero response or efforts but at no point has there been ownership nor acknowledgement of the issue. It's denial that has incubated the issue and progressed its status to today's capacity.
Take heart, help 'maybe' on the way from a very unlikely source..

ROSENSTEIN WARNS SANCTUARY CITIES: IF YOU TRY LEGAL HEROIN INJECTION SITES, WE’LL PROSECUTE YOU.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/08/31/r...jection-sites/

Several states across the country have considered legalizing safe injection sites, where addicts can bring their own drugs and inject them under supervision from trained medical staff. Philadelphia and San Francisco are the closest in the country to adopting the sites, saying they will help reduce the number of overdose deaths. The Department of Justice remains skeptical, however, and Rosenstein’s comments to NPR Thursday show the department is ready to enforce federal law should cities move forward.

“Just because someone tells you in San Francisco that San Francisco is not going to prosecute you for doing something, that does not make it legal. It remains illegal after federal law,” Rosenstein said. “If anybody thinks this is a good idea, there’s a way to accomplish that: try to persuade the U.S. Congress to legalize it.”

“One obvious problem with injection sites is that they are illegal. It is a federal felony to maintain any location for the purpose of facilitating illicit drug use. Violations are punishable by up to 20 years in prison, hefty fines and forfeiture of the property used in the criminal activity,” Rosenstein wrote in The New York Times Monday. “Because federal law clearly prohibits injection sites, cities and counties should expect the Department of Justice to meet the opening of any injection site with swift and aggressive action.”

".....where addicts can bring their own drugs and inject them under supervision from trained medical staff.". Trained staff?!!! There is no trained staff! There is a bum injecting on a corner and then they swap out the needle some point there after. At no point was some "professional" "supervising" or making sure by spending a single minute after the plunger was pushed. This is what I'm talking about! It's supposed to be operating a certain way but in fact I witnessed many people shooting up alone under ZERO supervision.
      09-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #75
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Good luck. What industry?

SF is a special but interesting place. Great culture, weather, food, scenery, etc., but it sure has a gritty/grimy side to it. We loved living atop Nob Hill for a couple years, but do not regret moving to Walnut Creek.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #76
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
When I say being better, I mean there are no homeless people out in Sunset and Richmond.

As for home break ins and such.. I've no idea. It hasn't happened to anyone I know of.
      09-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #77
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Quote:
Good luck. What industry?

SF is a special but interesting place. Great culture, weather, food, scenery, etc., but it sure has a gritty/grimy side to it. We loved living atop Nob Hill for a couple years, but do not regret moving to Walnut Creek.
Thanks. It's a business consulting firm in the financial district, which is an amazing place. Too bad about some parts of the city. Coincidentally I'm looking at another firm in Walnut Creek as well, although that deal is not looking good.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #78
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Awesome, well good luck! My office used to be at Embarcadero 4 right across from the ferry building. It's a great area during working hours (and weekend mornings), but not so much in the evenings. Let me know if you're ever up here (SF or WC) and have time for a coffee (or beer).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #79
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Judging by your garage, probably made another good decision!
      09-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #80
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks. It's a business consulting firm in the financial district, which is an amazing place. Too bad about some parts of the city. Coincidentally I'm looking at another firm in Walnut Creek as well, although that deal is not looking good.
Ah, finally an answer to that crazy garage.

Cheers,
Not Jealous
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #81
da jemster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,E93 M3,F22 M235i,i1 i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
...but do not regret moving to Walnut Creek.
Miss that city....small town feel back in the 80's. I used to live at the end of Main Street - Creekside Dr.

For another view of San Francisco...

09-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #82
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Seattle and SF are twinsies for sure and in close competition for the dumbest leadership (or voters) and the widest, deepest shithole. All the same problems driven by "compassion" which is the veil for corruption and loss of humanity that the bleeding hearts can't see.

Anywho, what kind of quotes you gettin for fixing those bottle dents? :
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      09-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #83
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Seattle and SF are twinsies for sure and in close competition for the dumbest leadership (or voters) and the widest, deepest shithole. All the same problems driven by "compassion" which is the veil for corruption and loss of humanity that the bleeding hearts can't see.

Anywho, what kind of quotes you gettin for fixing those bottle dents? :
$1,300 for 6 dents. Plus $923 to refinished and repainted rear bumper. The rear bumper is just wear and tear that I am doing on my dime. The $1300 for the dents makes me nervous because to me this means there is no paint involved. I am letting it go to see the final result before I potentially lose my shit on insurance. I will be dropping it off Saturday to get it all done. The crackhead has not been booked yet if ever. Last night there was a news story that about 85 cars get broken into a day in SF and less than 1% find justice!
      09-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #84
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

One of my best life decisions was leaving that place. What a shithole it has become.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6725.50
Scrippy1812.00
      09-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #85
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Post View Post
http://www.sfweekly.com/news/authori...grab-epidemic/
Authorities Hustle to Curb S.F.’s Smash and Grab Epidemic - March 1, 2018 - SF Weekly

Nuala SawyerThu Mar 1st, 2018 6:20am News

Ben and Ivana parked their rentalcar along Kezar Drive on a November afternoon, two days before Thanksgiving. The pair had just flown in from Australia to introduce their 8-month-old daughter, Georgia, to family in Walnut Creek. The trip into San Francisco was a spur-of-the-moment decision, and by the time they made it across the Bay Bridge, it was just starting to get dark. They packed up the baby in her stroller and walked around the Rose Garden for an hour. When they returned to their vehicle, the passenger side window was shattered

>>>

On the front lines of this battle are the police, but their arrest history is not encouraging. Of the approximately 30,000 car break-ins that happened in 2017, only 481 resulted in arrests.

>>>

Most tourists who park their rental cars on San Francisco streets aren’t as lucky. In 2017, 30,000 car break-ins were reported to authorities. Victims lost suitcases, passports, musical instruments, guns, laptops, and professional ice skating gear. It’s a problem that’s plagued the city for decades, but it’s getting worse: Last year’s numbers were a 24 percent increase over 2016. And everyone — from the District Attorney’s office to the San Francisco Police Department to city supervisors — has a plan to fix it. But will any of them work?

>>>>

“We’ve had a problem with burglaries from vehicles in Twin Peaks, to the tune of about 44 per month,” Scott said at the time. “We enhanced our deployment gravely in that area. We had one for the entire month — July 17 to Aug. 16. One car burglary. That highlights how important it is to have officers on the street.”
Now you're moving on to another topic. Yes, just slather all the problems with SF in one thread...

Car break ins are an issue.

The work around is to not have anything visible inside the vehicle. Cars with hatchbacks and SUVs are more prone to break ins as the back storage is visible or if covered they think there is something there. Sedans work best as you can put things in the trunk.

There are street signs saying you should not keep anything visible inside the car. You'd figure tourists can read the signs.
      09-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #86
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
$1,300 for 6 dents. Plus $923 to refinished and repainted rear bumper. The rear bumper is just wear and tear that I am doing on my dime. The $1300 for the dents makes me nervous because to me this means there is no paint involved. I am letting it go to see the final result before I potentially lose my shit on insurance. I will be dropping it off Saturday to get it all done. The crackhead has not been booked yet if ever. Last night there was a news story that about 85 cars get broken into a day in SF and less than 1% find justice!
PDR can be a good solution depending on where the dents are, on some panels they have to drill holes in the body work where you cant see. I manage an autobody shop in SF, i know all the ins and outs.
DrFerry6725.50
      09-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #87
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
PDR can be a good solution depending on where the dents are, on some panels they have to drill holes in the body work where you cant see. I manage an autobody shop in SF, i know all the ins and outs.
I am very familiar with PDR. I know my guy personally. Why I am doubting this is that the center of each dent has a chip from the bottles. If all it is is PDR then I would be looking at $40X6 which is $240. So I am confused because painting two rear quarter panels is more than $900 but I may be wrong.
      09-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #88
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am very familiar with PDR. I know my guy personally. Why I am doubting this is that the center of each dent has a chip from the bottles. If all it is is PDR then I would be looking at $40X6 which is $240. So I am confused because painting two rear quarter panels is more than $900 but I may be wrong.
I wouldnt paint 1 qtr panel on an m3 for $1300. the estimate your insurance wrote should specify very clearly exactly what that $1300 entails...