BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

09-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
kyoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Clicking/Flapping Noise On High g Right Handers

Don't have a good recording of this, but it only happens on high load right handers at track or autox - doesn't matter whether I'm on power or not. It's like a clicking/flapping/clacking noise. Any ideas what this could be? I don't feel anything in the car/through pedals, just an audible sound.

Something diff or suspension rubbing? Doesn't happen on left handers/the left side - it MAY be the brake heat shield, but only when hot?

Last edited by kyoo; 09-08-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Fender liners rubbing?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Do you have camber plates?
      09-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Does the volume or frequency change as you go faster?

I would get the car up on a lift and visually inspect. Could be something rubbing, debris stuck somewhere, etc. You might also need to get it up on ramps so the suspension is loaded and then crank the wheel to full-lock and see if anything is touching.
      09-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Maybe tire pickup or one of the felt undertray corners buffeting because the bottom has separated from the front?
      09-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
kyoo
Captain
Rep

thanks - i took a look, didn't particularly see anything. i had the rear right off, so i went ahead and pushed the heat shield back away from the rotor a bit. nothing obvious that i could tell.

no camber plates, but noise is 100% from right rear. i'll have it out on track again this weekend to see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Tough to tell from the description, but I believe I experienced something very similar a couple years ago. Hard rights would cause a cyclical noise in what sounded like the rear left. I got black flagged for it, and they said everything was fine. I inspected it on the track and didn't see anything serious.

My shop inspected it shortly after and said the dust shield was slightly bent. Like you said I think it happens when it gets hot. I did originally try to push it back by hand, and it didnt work. Maybe I just didn't do it in the right area, but the shop's try at it worked.
Appreciate 2
kyoo340.50
Shmelgy443.50
      09-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
kyoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
Tough to tell from the description, but I believe I experienced something very similar a couple years ago. Hard rights would cause a cyclical noise in what sounded like the rear left. I got black flagged for it, and they said everything was fine. I inspected it on the track and didn't see anything serious.

My shop inspected it shortly after and said the dust shield was slightly bent. Like you said I think it happens when it gets hot. I did originally try to push it back by hand, and it didnt work. Maybe I just didn't do it in the right area, but the shop's try at it worked.
i'm pretty certain this is what it is - gonna have the wheels off at the shop today, i'll ask him to make sure we get the dust/heat shield out of the way. visual inspection couldn't see anything, but i'll ask them to get it out of the way further.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
kyoo
Captain
Rep

had another track day and the noise did not pop up, so perhaps bending the heat shield worked. it was a different track, but the noise was pretty persistent in various corners before. also had a nice pic snagged of the car:

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
alexxPQ
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I would get the car up on a lift and visually inspect. Could be something rubbing, debris stuck somewhere, etc. You might also need to get it up on ramps so the suspension is loaded and then crank the wheel to full-lock and see if anything is touching.
I totally agree, cause I've been doing that. Here is a great post to read about car ramps, that I found two months ago, when was doing inspection of my car, and what I can say for sure is that Discount Ramps is the best choice for that purpose. They stable and can give your needed result. Will help with any type of any inspection.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
Type_Yarr
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I had a similar clicking noise that only presented at high lateral loads. On my car it ended up being that the 2 season old wheel studs were no longer thread locked and slightly backed out just a few degrees from being bottomed out (and obv no torque). Presumably this was a result of the heat cycling and regular wheel changes breaking the permanent thread locker. Replacing the studs fixed the noise and it hasn't been back. Now I check the studs every wheel change, and plan to replace them every year. YMMV
Appreciate 0