BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
New battery question

Just replaced my battery with the exact same battery type I had before. Now I realize that there is a very minor difference between the two.

Old battery:
Cold cranking amps: 825
Reserve capacity: 135

New battery:
Cold cranking amps: 850
Reserve capacity: 150

Everything else (brand, type, size) is 100% identical between the two. I did register the new battery. Based on the above difference, will I have any issues? Do I need the new battery coded?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Since you did register the battery - you will be fine. No coding is necessary once the battery has been registered to the ECU/DME. Registering is done simply to ensure the alternator supplies the correct output needed to charge the battery properly. PS: The E9X alternator has an engagement clutch that disconnects at wide open throttle (WOT) thereby given a few extra ponies at WOT..
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
dpilat8588
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Since you did register the battery - you will be fine. No coding is necessary once the battery has been registered to the ECU/DME. Registering is done simply to ensure the alternator supplies the correct output needed to charge the battery properly. PS: The E9X alternator has an engagement clutch that disconnects at wide open throttle (WOT) thereby given a few extra ponies at WOT..
Thanks for the info. I am noticing that my car idles at about 100 rpm higher than it did before. The engine also seems to pull smoother as I accelerate and work through the gears. Does a new battery affect engine performance? Not necessarily make the car faster, but feel different?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
It has been said that the E9X Series cars are basically rolling cyborgs. A new battery - combined with an alternator outputting the correct voltage - to keep it charging when ancillaries are on, has beneficial effects that others have also noticed and commented upon over the years on this forum. The car may indeed feel better because the prior low voltage gremlins are now gone from the electrical system. The throttle bodies seem especially sensitive to low voltage - they throw codes when the battery is on its last legs, as are the traction control and EDC modules. There's probably a placebo effect too, but keep in mind replacing the battery also causes some of the prior stored codes and adaptations to clear. Enjoy.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2