BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

03-23-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
jasonturbo
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 997.1 GT3 RS, DC2R

Front Sway Bar End Links Hitting Uprights

Hoping someone has encountered this issue before and has a fix for it...

Installed on my car is the following:
- Ohlins R&T
- Ground Control Street Camber Plates
- Hotchkis Sway Bars

Car is fairly low but not "mad tyte jdm yo" low.

When the suspension work was completed we discovered that the OEM end links were too long to be re-used, we then sourced a set of shorter E46 M3 front end links as a temporary solution. After installing the E46 M3 links we found that the end links made contact with the upright strut clamping bolt and the ABS/Brake line bracket... our monkey brains decided the best solution was to add some shims and bend the links to create clearance, we then ordered a set of PSI end links in the correct length hoping that their design might get us the clearance we need from the upright.

Today we finally took a look at whether or not the PSI end links we purchased would provide sufficient clearance, they do not (unsuprisingly), so I'm now considering ordering a set of end links with longer threads so that I can run a 20mm spacer between the end link and the mounting clip on the strut body.

It's worth noting that it does not matter which position we have the sway bar in, there is contact in all four configurations.

Has anyone else ran into this issue before???? I searched and found nothing, at first I blamed the install shop but after looking over the car myself, it does not appear as though they installed anything incorrectly.

Anyone??? It seems to me that turning the strut more towards the inside is the only possible solution? Is it possible my shop is so stupid that they couldn't figure this out???
Attached Images

Last edited by jasonturbo; 03-23-2021 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #2
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Is it the bolt touching the end link?

If so, turn the bolt around so the head is on that side.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

It looks like the strut should be turned more towards the car to clear the upright bolt. At least that's how the OEM strut is positioned. Attached pic is borrowed from Bill's H&R spring install DIY (driver side).
http://billswebspace.com/M3HRSpringInstallation
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
tlrid3r513.50
bbnks21206.50
      03-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutak View Post
It looks like the strut should be turned more towards the car to clear the upright bolt. At least that's how the OEM strut is positioned. Attached pic is borrowed from Bill's H&R spring install DIY (driver side).
ah yes, I couldn't tell what side it was at first, but yes if that is the driver's side, then the tab for the sway bar should be on the right side of the strut.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutak View Post
Yes he is correct. 👆🏼 Looks like your Ohlins isn't clocked correct. Move the tab. And ensure you get proper movement from lock to lock on the steering wheel
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

yeah mounting tab is in the wrong location. you might even have the struts on the wrong side of the car. can't tell from this pic.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

I happen to have almost exactly the same shot of my Ohlins install and it does indeed show that your Ohlins shock seems to be clocked incorrectly.

Pic attached.

Just noticed that the pic gets rotated when attached on here, not sure why. The original is the correct way up.
Attached Images

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #8
jasonturbo
Private
Rep

Well it seems as though my suspicions are confirmed... thanks gents!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #9
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Well it seems as though my suspicions are confirmed... thanks gents!
Could you throw up a pic of your ride height at the front please?

I'm interested to see how low you went where the E46 end link is an appropriate length.

Thanks
Az

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
jasonturbo
Private
Rep

Pics attached, you can see more pics of the car on my IG @jasonturtle there is a highlight reel with lots of pics.

I don't why the second image rotated... m3post issues.

I believe that the center to center front end link measurement with the car this low was 210mm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
911r891.00
      03-25-2021, 02:50 AM   #11
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Pics attached, you can see more pics of the car on my IG @jasonturtle there is a highlight reel with lots of pics.

I don't why the second image rotated... m3post issues.

I believe that the center to center front end link measurement with the car this low was 210mm.

Thanks, the arch gap on yours makes it looks like you're running the recommended settings in the Ohlins manual, but I guess your tyre is smaller than a 245/40/18 which would be on there for standard 18s?

And the thread showing on your front shocks makes it look like you are running 25ish mm lower than the recommended settings.

If however you are at the recommended settings +/- 15mm then the standard E92 end links will work fine - I'm running 15mm below recommended settings and using the standard end links.

Hope you get it all sorted out

Appreciate 0