BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

08-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Colourlock Leather Dyes and Maintenance

Colourlock is a complete leather repair and maintenance solution for your BMW ///M.

Colourlock ships from the UK, and the products are made in Germany. The entire product line is available from Amazon and from Colourlock directly with every interior color option. Look for ///M E9X BMW interior colors like Fox Red/FUCHSROT!!

https://www.colourlock.com/bmw_leath...our_chart.html

They make leather dyes for most UK and German car brands. The german website has more (all) car brands.

I just ordered the kit this week for my BMW E9X M3 Interlagos Blue/Fox Red Interior Saalooooon. Waiting on Royal Mail and Mother Nature (105deg Today in LA).

You should order the proper kit for the leather dye color or your BMW interior color and also the leather cleaning & protector kit. You also need the sanding pad and a leather brush or two. They make a large (150ml) and small (30 ml) kit. My kit was $200 for the large bottles, so it is pricey. But no VAT!! Expect to pay another $100 for extra Fluid Leather and the GLD Pen

COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh (Leather dye), 30/150 ml*
COLOURLOCK Fluid Leather (Leather filler), 7/20 ml* (You will need the 20 ml or 2x-3x 7 ml tubes).
COLOURLOCK GLD Pen 40ml for smoothing leather filler* (solvent to smooth the filler -- $26.00/Don't pay $50!!)
COLOURLOCK Mild and Strong Leather Cleaner, 30/125/200 ml (Get both mild and strong)
COLOURLOCK Leather Protector (Conditioner), 30/150 ml
COLOURLOCK Leather Shield (protective coating--UV and reduces future wear), 30/150 ml

* Ships from the UK in a week -- Royal Mail or UPS
+ Everything else ships from the US/CA Quick

Cleaning Sponge
Sponge for Leather Fresh application
Cleaning Cloth

+ Leather Spirits (Degreaser)
+ Leather Sanding Pad (2x)
+ Leather Cleaning Brush (2x)
+ Leather Stainless Steel Spatula/Oil Painting Knife (A must!! -- Good for oil painting too)

Example of the kits they sell. (add options to complete the list above)

https://www.colourlock.com/all-diy-p...-care-kit.html

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You have to get the leather dye kits and some individual items to have a complete set for your particular leather repair and maintenance project.

You need to get the Leather Fresh (dye) for large smooth areas. You need the Fluid Leather (Filler) to fill creases and scruffs (on bolsters). The Leather Cleaner and Protector is used for well, cleaning and conditioning leather.
Leather Shied is just for new leather (UV protection, etc.).

TIP: Get a small or large bottle of Black (Schwartz) Leather Fresh for your steering wheel and any other areas of black leather, it that isn't your primary interior leather color. Same tip for multiple BMWs.

UPDATE: You need the GLD Pen to smooth the fluid leather near seams, piping, and badly creased areas.
You will run out of fluid leather, since it is only a 7 ml tube. You not only fill creases but peanut butter and spread the filler on larger areas before adding 5-8+ layers of leather fresh dye. Sand before the final leather dye layer application. They sell a 20 ml tube that is 3x larger on the Colourlock UK site, but it is hard to order. Find the fluid leather page with the 7 ml/20 ml option. Select Special Car Colour, BMW, and your leather color. The price is close to $73 USD for the 20 ml tube. They add $20 to the $53 price of the larger 20 ml tube. The 7 ml tube comes in the kits, or costs $46 alone, so $73 is a bargin for 3x more product.

How much does 7 ml of filler cover? The thigh support, and the left side seat bolster, almost. Good for 1/4 of a seat, so you need 4 tubes worth (28 ml) for a single seat. HaHa.

https://www.colourlock.com/all-diy-p...ler-20-ml.html

Free Shipping for orders over $200...but half the products (not colour specific) can be purchased via Amazon.

Colourlock How To Guides with videos:

https://www.colourlock.com/howtos

This the correct sequence of products and drying time for a typical leather seat repair.
- Protect your steering wheel. Got a few doilies, due to COVID-19.
- Clean your leather with a damp towel or mini vacuum cleaner
- Use Leather Cleaner (MILD or STRONG). Circular motion works best for some reason, and wipe off with a microfiber towel. The Leather Cleaner dries quickly, so do small areas/panels of leather at a time then wipe dry.
- Use Colourlock sanding pad to smooth the areas being dyed. Dye the whole seat to get an even color.
- Use Spirits or IPA or a Degreaser to remove the sanding dust. Paper towel is OK...then toss.
- Use Fluid Leather to fill creases and cracks. Spread the filler in larger areas for a smooth finish. Mask areas with painters tape first. Let dry for 3 hrs or overnight.
- If you have the GLD pen...go back after 3-6 hrs to clean up seams, bloobs, and high spots. Dissolves excess filler.
- Add a second or more coats of the filler until it looks smooth and perfect. Multiple thin coats of filler can hide black scuffs. Ok to use the sanding pad for small areas that need clean up. GLD pen is best.
- Apply the Leather Fresh Dye using the sponge one leather panel at a time. Dab on areas of filler and after applying dye over large areas (to avoid streaking). Use a heat gun between coats. The dye flash drys quickly. The more thin coats the better it will look. Important to have good light to make sure the leather color is even.
- Sand the leather dyed areas lightly before the final leather fresh coat for smoothness.
- Let the leather dye dry overnight for 12-24 hrs.
- Apply the Leather Protector conditioner over the entire seat and let it dry overnight 12-24 hours.
- Last step is to apply the Leather Shield for protection. Ok to use a heat gun to flash dry.
- Ok to apply the Leather Shield first and dry with a heat gun. Then wait 12-24 hrs to let the dye fully dry. Then Leather Protector can be applied over the Leather Shield...apparently the conditioner can soak through the Leather Shield.

Important to let the leather dye dry overnight and let the leather protector dry over the second night . Perfect 2d-3d weekend project.

Leatherique and Colourlock in one summer....Oh Boy.

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 08-23-2020 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List

Thank god this wasn't a trilogy.

Lars and Ram are awesome

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Today's new word is:

...Cordless Heat Gun

Dewalt Cordless Heat Gun has a Hi/Lo setting. Others like Milwakee and Ryobi only have one setting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCE530.../dp/B07RJDRS6Y

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ele.../dp/B077GPG2HS

Wagner Furno 700 (750 with a case and accessories) -- Corded Heat Gun is 1/3 the price and is more advanced.
https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Sprayt.../dp/B01M7OT2EM

Google Sous Vide HEAT GUN...Fred Flintstone would be so proud.

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 08-10-2020 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
shimmy232330.00
      08-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Had enough....

Notice the dabbing technique...plus the Wagner Heat Gun (Spraytek).

Yeah its a trilogy like Star Wars...

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 08-06-2020 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
shimmy232330.00
      08-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #6
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Thank you for sharing! I need to do some reading up before I do my bamboo center armrest
      08-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Colourlocke's German Channel for Lederzentrum. Lars is a youtube star.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lederzentrum/videos

www.lederzentrum.de

Lars uses his Lederzentrum pro leather products in this video...I can't find a website.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

For the price of one of these kits, I'm debating just taking it to a shop? I plan to leatherique the car myself in the coming weeks but the bolster seems like it might just be better to take in and get repaired by someone who knows what they're doing given the time + money investment?
      08-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #9
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did the Leatherique treatment this summer. It doesn't fix the scuffing on the bolsters.
It came out nice in terms of a matte fresh leather look and softens the leather over time...but I couldn't do it all in 48 hours...stretched it out over 2 weeks (front seats and then rear).

Autogeek in Florida is the same as Palm Beach Motoring on Amazon. Autogeek has sales on products every weekend, sign up for promo codes. You need the 32 oz bottles of the Rejuvenator Oil, but for the Pristine Clean you only need 16oz (warm water is enough)...but they make 32 oz and 16 oz kits.

The Colourlock system is for repairing scuffs in your bolsters with dye. 8-10 coats is a little extreme, but maybe with black leather, you dont need that many coats. You need a heat gun to speed up the drying of the leather dye between coats.

Check the rear seats...if the leather looks nice and matte, but is stiff like cardboard then you should Leatherique the interior leather...and wait a week or two. Then use Colourlock to fix the scuffs on the front seat using their dye and filler. The filler is needed for any creases or cracks. Finish with Leather Shield 1-2 days later to coat your work. Later you can use the Leather Protector to condition the leather, depending on how hard or soft your leather is. Leather Protector can go beneath the Leather Shield apparently to condition the leather.

If your steering wheel is slimy/shiny or the leather is cracked/worn...go for a custom steering wheel. The original M3 steering wheel was always shiny, so you might never get to the modern BMW matte leather steering wheel feel that you see on BMW cars after 2016. A new custom steering wheel makes the car feel great, every time you drive it.

If it wasn't going to be 108deg F in LA this weekend I would try the Colourlock treatment. Maybe next weekend. I have new steering wheel goodies to install in the shade this weekend in the early AM.

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 08-23-2020 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for posting this, this was helpful!
      02-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #11
MouseMike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: me crazy

This a more in-depth video of leather restoration but the way it comes out makes me want to follow his process. Colourlock seems to have the best products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tZT...ist=LL&index=1
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I used this product on my palladium silver seat bolster. I just had the basic kit so not a huge investment. It made a terrible looking bolster look good again if you were not specifically in the car to inspect the bolster. I don't think anyone getting in the car would have noticed the bolster wear unless they were inspecting the interior to buy it. So it's going to take you back to 90 percent. If you're looking to get to 100 percent you're going to need better technique and tools than I have or take it to a professional.

I have the black kit now for my black seats but they're in good enough shape I have not tried the kit on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #13
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I used this product on my palladium silver seat bolster. I just had the basic kit so not a huge investment. It made a terrible looking bolster look good again if you were not specifically in the car to inspect the bolster. I don't think anyone getting in the car would have noticed the bolster wear unless they were inspecting the interior to buy it. So it's going to take you back to 90 percent. If you're looking to get to 100 percent you're going to need better technique and tools than I have or take it to a professional.

I have the black kit now for my black seats but they're in good enough shape I have not tried the kit on them.
Interested to see if the Leather Shield product provides a nice matte sheen on top of the dye.

Glad it came out so nice. The lighter the leather, the harder it is to hide the scuffs and wear.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #14
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
Interested to see if the Leather Shield product provides a nice matte sheen on top of the dye.

Glad it came out so nice. The lighter the leather, the harder it is to hide the scuffs and wear.

Cheers
Pan The Organizer on YouTube reviewed this product and it looks like there's a pretty favorable matte finish after he applies the Shield to a BMW steering wheel:
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:12 PM   #15
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes Pan the Organizer is a French Canadian Freak. He owns a beautiful gunmetal BMW 550i Twin Turbo V8.

Issue is whether when you repair and dye the leather, does Leather Shield leave a matte finish vs the Leather Protector. Pan's BMW F10 550i is very new, so there is not much leather wear and tear.

Cheers
Appreciate 0