BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

05-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #9329
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I think he has had some issues with the bumper pulling away from the fender which has resulted in him installing the clips. Have you ever removed your front bumper? It's not a rigidly mounted structure. Plus the bumper itself is flexible plastic - a noodle. DB is a fast driver and obviously his setup is working for him but that certainly doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. This is all part of the fun... And please don't think I'm claiming to be the ultimate authority of this topic.

As a general rule you want your splitter to be rigidly mounted (along with your wing) as you want the downforce to get transmitted to the chassis to push the car down - not to the bumper to flex it to the point of pulling out of the mounts.... then to the chassis.
Yes I was actually surprised how easy the bumper comes off and how flimsy it is. A direct connection to the chassis does logically sound like it would be the most efficient way to transmit downforce. But it’s interesting that he has found a satisfactory level of front downforce with a bumper mount setup that has survived quite a few offs. Wonder if the flex has aided in that at all or if it is more to do with how far his splitter sticks out.

I will be connecting to the chassis when developing my splitter. I have a couple of things I want to try that will likely need it to be fairly rigid. Very interested in the different ways everyone goes about it - definitely helps and appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #9330
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I dunno if you track guys run aluminum under trays but the Turner aluminum tray is chassis mounted, what about attaching an APR splitter to one of those?
It's only chassis mounted to on the back end where it meets the Reinforcement plate under the front sub frame. Towards the front it's mounted to the bumper - which is not rigid at that point.
The turner tray comes with two supporting braces which bolt directly to the subframe in front of the lower control arms.. I think that coupled with the extra braces the APR includes to bolt to the front bumper would make for a pretty solid surface. Not optimal and nothing I would stand on but definitely a vast improvement from bolting it to the bumper and lower sump skid plate.
      05-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #9331
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I dunno if you track guys run aluminum under trays but the Turner aluminum tray is chassis mounted, what about attaching an APR splitter to one of those?
It's only chassis mounted to on the back end where it meets the Reinforcement plate under the front sub frame. Towards the front it's mounted to the bumper - which is not rigid at that point.
The turner tray comes with two supporting braces which bolt directly to the subframe in front of the lower control arms.. I think that coupled with the extra braces the APR includes to bolt to the front bumper would make for a pretty solid surface. Not optimal and nothing I would stand on but definitely a vast improvement from bolting it to the bumper and lower sump skid plate.
I didn't know that. Very cool! I have avoided the Turner part because of its weight. I think adds 10 to 15 lbs IIRC.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #9332
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
yea, i'm not sure. think about it backwards like this- if f1 teams had the ability to make the front aero 100% rigid with no deflection, would they do it? durability and weight aside, i would guess yes.
Actually, flexible aero was the work around for the ban on active aero, and then they banned flexi aero as well. Red bull had quite a bendy front wing.
gmx166.00
      05-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #9333
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Actually, flexible aero was the work around for the ban on active aero, and then they banned flexi aero as well. Red bull had quite a bendy front wing.
i'm not a close follower of F1, but what i was trying to say was- if they could do it anyway they wanted, how would it be? active and rigid? active and flexy? just flexy? just rigid? any combo of the above?
      05-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #9334
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
i'm not a close follower of F1, but what i was trying to say was- if they could do it anyway they wanted, how would it be? active and rigid? active and flexy? just flexy? just rigid? any combo of the above?
There are rules about how much deflection the various body panels can have. Kimi was penalized for it recently because the deflection was like an extra 1mm or something.

Active aero is absolutely banned.

roastbeef11586.00
      05-24-2019, 06:23 PM   #9335
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Nexen sur4 275 squared with 18x10 usual apex wheels. 12mm spacer. Tires usually clear but not these lol
Attached Images

05-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #9336
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
A few years ago, I recall Racewerkz Engineering saying that chassis mounting a splitter on a DCT was challenging. I'm not aware that they ever came up with a solution for chassis mounting a splitter to a DCT. By comparison, I believe a 6MT was much easier to install a chassis mounted splitter.
I'm not sure why that would be the case. There isn't really any difference on the front end of the car that I know of.

Quote:
Regardless, the bumper mounted splitter is very effective. Remember, the downforce is not just caused by the splitter itself pressing down. A splitter encourages air to go over the car, instead of under it. As the air goes over the hood, that is creating force. And, by allowing less air under the car, there's less lift underneath the car. So, the splitter itself doesn't need to stand up to the weight of 4 fat dudes just to be useful.
Good point but it could do more if it's mounted rigidly.

Quote:
Again, I'll preach a bit of practicality-----several of the chassis mounted splitters that I have seen that ripped off the car destroyed a TON of shit underneath the car. They're potentially hard-connected to so many things underneath the car, that when they rip off.....they take a ton of stuff with them......We saw one guy with a chassis mounted splitter on an E9x M3 rip that thing off and it took a bunch of fluid lines with it.....the car was oozing all kinds of liquids everywhere.......nasty.....

So, while chassis mounting would be nice, and it's an impressive party trick to have someone stand on your splitter.......I don't think it's necessary for the track day enthusiast given what I've experienced. Again----let's be practical here people!!! (yeah like any of this is practical.....)
I really don't think a bumper mounted splitter is any more practical than a chassis mounted version. I suppose this all depends on how the splitter is mounted and the rigidity of the splitter itself. The same damage you described could occur with a bumper mounted splitter that gets wedged up and into the fluid lines. I have had multiple GT4 splitters get hung up and rip away from my bumper causing damage to the bumper itself (not to any fluid lines). While a splitter that is not mounted to the bumper in any way would not cause any damage to it. For example the GTS splitter (too small I know) is mounted to a bar that is mounted to the chassis. It doesn't have any contact with the bumper. I think this would actually be a better scenario if it rips away. A very rigid splitter has the potential to do some damage when it get's ripped off - no matter how it's mounted. Now, if the chassis mounts are done in a way that they are near fluid lines, then I can see your point. I would like to think there is a safe way to execute. For Example - an easy way to take some of the load off your bumper would be to change the splitter rods. The splitter rods running to your splitter could be mounted to the bumper support (instead of the flimsy bumper). Maybe you have already done that but it looks like it's mounted to the bumper.

Not meaning to claim to be the ultimate authority here - just partaking in some thoughtful discussion.
Chassis mounted splitter that went all the way back. One to two inches longer than Gt4 lip that was custom cut by apr for me. Also added just a few bolts that also attached to the bottom of the lip.

So you can do chassis plus to lip lol.

Didn't need those splitter rods in the front. Photo at acs going however many mph with tie doing nothing and splitter in place and not flexing.
Attached Images

gmx166.00
      05-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #9337
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Nexen sur4 275 squared with 18x10 usual apex wheels. 12mm spacer. Tires usually clear but not these lol
cheater sizes lol
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #9338
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I would chassis mount aero because you'll run into issues with things falling off. And if you go off track, you increase the risk of ripping more stuff off. I would imagine that there is more value in the downforce than reducing flow underneath.

If you reduce airflow, wouldn't you create drag? High pressure air will want to flow into the low pressure area under the car. You'd need some sort of vortex generator. Then the airflow under the car can be used to manage tire squirt.

Most aero guys say that you want clean airflow under the car.

But I'm not an expert by any means...
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
slicer2737.50
      05-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #9339
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
For me, what it boiled down to was cost and availability. Racewerkz presented the option of bumper mounting a splitter as a ready-to-go solution and claimed it worked well. The alternative of creating a more rigid setup was going to cost a LOT more money. I had never driven a splitter before and was worried I would rip it off fairly quickly. Spending a ton of money on it didn’t make sense for me.

And just to be clear, I don’t think my car is the ultimate setup or the only way to do things. What it is, is a build put together by a motorsport enthusiast. Given that I had never built a car before, I’ve learned a lot along the way. If anything I’ve learned is useful to the community here, I’m happy to share it. And I’m always eager to see/hear what others have done.
Appreciate 1
slicer2737.50
      05-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #9340
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
For me, what it boiled down to was cost and availability. Racewerkz presented the option of bumper mounting a splitter as a ready-to-go solution and claimed it worked well. The alternative of creating a more rigid setup was going to cost a LOT more money. I had never driven a splitter before and was worried I would rip it off fairly quickly. Spending a ton of money on it didn’t make sense for me.

And just to be clear, I don’t think my car is the ultimate setup or the only way to do things. What it is, is a build put together by a motorsport enthusiast. Given that I had never built a car before, I’ve learned a lot along the way. If anything I’ve learned is useful to the community here, I’m happy to share it. And I’m always eager to see/hear what others have done.
Cool - we are in the same boat - it's all about learning, developing, improving!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #9341
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
15mm spacer f/r get on my level brooooo
Lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
slicer2737.50
bigjae19761569.50
      05-25-2019, 12:14 AM   #9342
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Took the car to Texas Track Works to get another alignment. They came heavily recommended and after chatting for a few minutes, it's clear that these guys mean business.

The alignment had slipped more than we expected in ~6 months / 6 track days / 4,500 miles. At some point I may ditch the factory eccentric bolts.

For some stupid reason, the rear toe links on the C7 are NOT adjustable. They were on the C5 and C6 which share the same basic suspension design. As a result, we couldn't dial in more rear camber without it throwing the rest of the geometry out of whack. Granatelli, AFE/Pfadt, and LG all make adjustable ones. However, the guys at TTW said that these aren't an ideal design because they don't use pinch bolts like the SPL stuff does. But...SPL doesn't make a set for the C7. TTW said they'd try and hassle SPL about this some more, especially since SPL is only 3 hours south in Austin.

Hopefully, by the time it needs another alignment, SPL will have stepped up. I guess I should've hassled Fall-Line a bit more before I moved. :-p

Anyway, here's what they dialed in.
Attached Images

05-25-2019, 02:01 AM   #9343
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
Quote:
15mm spacer f/r get on my level brooooo
Lol
      05-25-2019, 04:53 AM   #9344
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

On the alignment front, are there any aftermarket parts that make toe less likely to be knocked out of whack on track? Aftermarket toe arms?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #9345
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Their wings were creating less downforce (and thus drag) for higher loads, like what you'd experience near or close to vmax on straights.

The opposite is happening here I suspect.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      05-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #9346
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
On the alignment front, are there any aftermarket parts that make toe less likely to be knocked out of whack on track? Aftermarket toe arms?
From what the guys at TTW told me, if it uses a pinch bolt, it's basically impossible for it to slip. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be checking alignment regularly, though.
      05-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #9347
Shmelgy
B.E.
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
here's a thought- what about cables or wire that are chassis mounted that have a combined break away limit? that way, when shock weight is introduced, they give up and the splitter just falls off? how many you would use would depend on how many connections you have.
What is the benefit of stanchions vs cables anyways?
I was told to go with cables because they will prevent the splitter from moving down, but allow enough flex upwards if you were to: hit a bump, go off track, need a little assistance rolling off the trailer, etc.

So it allows movement upwards without causing damage while still preventing downward flex.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      05-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #9348
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

PS fluid spit all over my windshield through hood vent and no PS below 10mph. Boiled fluid only? Dead pump too? Anybody experience this?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #9349
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
PS fluid spit all over my windshield through hood vent and no PS below 10mph. Boiled fluid only? Dead pump too? Anybody experience this?
you just put the fancy reservoir on, right? check hoses. i've heard if you try to contain it, the fluid just starts blowing through the hose seals.
      05-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #9350
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you just put the fancy reservoir on, right? check hoses. i've heard if you try to contain it, the fluid just starts blowing through the hose seals.
Yea it's weird. There's still fluid in there, at the minimum level. Color doesn't look as bright green as it should... I guess I'll try just sucking out old boiled fluid and putting in fresh fluid?
Appreciate 0