BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

09-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
destive
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 coupe

EDC steering angle sensor correction value exceeded

I’m getting the following fault code in my EDC module:

5FE1 Steering angle correction value exceeded

This only seems to be affecting the EDC. The steering angle sensor is working fine for the DSC and turn signal indicators. There are no errors in DSC.
I’ve tried the following:
-Steering angle sensor calibration using ISTA-D
-Cleared the error codes from memory, but it returns immediately.
-Coded default values in the EDC module using NCS Expert

I have seen a few threads with a similar issue which was resolved by resetting the correction value in the SZL. Does anyone know how to reset this? Any help appreciated!

Here are the two threads that I am referring to:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1061573
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151498
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
destive
Rep

Solution

After some experimentation with tool32, I was able to figure out how to reset the steering angle correction value that was stuck. I want to share what I did.
First off, this issue can may also happen if the steering angle sensor is not calibrated or if it is faulty. I had calibrated the steering angle sensor before and it did not fix the error. A faulty steering angle sensor will also trigger DSC errors which was not the case for me.
1) Open Tool32 and select EDCK_65.prg to read the EDC module.
2) Select and run (F5) status_offsetwerte under the jobs list.

3) Look for the value under STAT_LEWI_OFFSET. If you see a value other than zero, it needs to be reset.
4) Under the Tabellen-Info window, select Forttexte under the dropdown and select 0x5FE1. This value should now show up as an argument in the jobs window.
5) Select and run steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben with the ORT;0x5FE1 as the argument

6) Close tool32, open INPA and clear error memory and turn off ignition.

Hopefully this should clear the issue and you should have working EDC again
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Steering_Angle_Offset_Reset.pdf (173.3 KB, 1159 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
wildwildwes17
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Hey thank you for providing this. I have gone all the way from not having INPA software to the end of this PDF that you provided in search of trying to fix this EDC error. My Stat_Lewi_Offset value reads as: "101 00 65 .e" I tried reseting it by running the steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben operation with ORT;0x5FE1. In the job results info it said status with several 1's but for the second part, results said error. I cleared codes and my edc error code came right back. The value for Stat_Lewi_Offset has not changed. Is there some other way to reset this?

Please this has been such a pain to try and figure out
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
wildwildwes17
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

also I looked up the translation for steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben. It means "Pretend to control current values" I want something more like "HARD RESET" haha what job should I use?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
destive
Rep

When i did this last year, I spent some time to go through each job with translate to figure out if it could somehow reset offset value. I ran a lot of jobs in the EDC module that day. This was risky, but it was the last thing I wanted to try before buying a used EDC module from ebay.

It is possible that there were jobs that I ran that actually made the difference, but unfortunately, I don't remember anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I had this problem, This thread helped me a lot so I had to post what I did.

I used steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben Argument achse;5FE1 and it zero'd it out for me.

Thanks for getting me 90% there!
      06-29-2020, 12:07 AM   #8
lastV10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

5FE1 Fix

I suspect there is more than one way to skin this cat, but here's what finally worked for me.... load the SZL.prg control file. Run job "abgleich_lenkwinkelsensor_ruecksetzen" (adjustment_steering angle sensor_reset"). That's it. You may or may not have to recalibrate your steering wheel angle with ISTA/INPA afterwards. Seems like the first time I ran the job, I was ok. When I did it a second time to verify, I had to recalibrate. STRANGELY - the job "lws_offset_korrektur_schreiben" ("steering angle sensor_offset_correction value_write") seems like the obvious job to run. But I could never get the argument of "zero" to run without error, no matter what format I tried for the value of zero. If someone else knows, I'd be glad to hear.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
RedCardinal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Well, some combination of these things finally worked for me and I am amazed. I tried these suggested several times over a few weeks and they didn't work. But I had some new ideas and tried them again today and wallah! the steering wheel angle sensor zeroed out.

However, I was not checking the results of each thing I did in the car - in other words I was not checking the dash/GPS display to see if the 0x5fe1 error reset. So I don't know which thing that I tried, finally zero'd out the steering wheel angle.

Using the top post I was able to see that the angle of the steering wheel was 102 or 106 - def not 0. Then I tried to zero it out using the suggestions here. Many times I tried something new to reformat the data, such as removing the semicolon and using a space, or no space, or a comma. At one point instead of using ORT I tried 0x0000 (hex, for 0, which returned an error); then I tried it without the hex marker (the '0x' indicates the following number is in base 16 or hexadecimal). I do not believe that worked (i.e. gave an error as a result).

I also tried 0006, was the corresponding offset value to my 102 (or 106) when I checked it with the status value in the top post. I also tried 102 and 00 06 in the "lws_offset_korrektur_schreiben" thinking that using the error value as the offset value might return the final reading to zero. I believe these attempts resulted in error messages, which is why I didn't check the dash to see if the error had gone away after running it. Regardless, it may have worked, I don't know.

One of those worked. I was flabbergasted. I went for a short drive on a shitty road and the error did not return. It's only been an hour or so, but if the error returns I will let y'all know.

Gotta say it's not uncommon for me to think of my e93 m3 as a lemon! When it's running properly it's a beaut though. EDC replacements, undercarriage made of felt, plastic engine parts, bizarre steering wheel angle sensor errors - how people who don't fiddle, afford paying for repairs, is beyond me. I had an edc error and the pro bmw guy in my area had zero concept about it, had to troubleshoot it and repair it myself over 2 years wtf lol.

Last edited by RedCardinal; 11-28-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCardinal View Post
Well, some combination of these things finally worked for me and I am amazed. I tried these suggested several times over a few weeks and they didn't work. But I had some new ideas and tried them again today and wallah! the steering wheel angle sensor zeroed out.

However, I was not checking the results of each thing I did in the car - in other words I was not checking the dash/GPS display to see if the 0x5fe1 error reset. So I don't know which thing that I tried, finally zero'd out the steering wheel angle.

Using the top post I was able to see that the angle of the steering wheel was 102 or 106 - def not 0. Then I tried to zero it out using the suggestions here. Many times I tried something new to reformat the data, such as removing the semicolon and using a space, or no space, or a comma. At one point instead of using ORT I tried 0x0000 (hex, for 0, which returned an error); then I tried it without the hex marker (the '0x' indicates the following number is in base 16 or hexadecimal). I do not believe that worked (i.e. gave an error as a result).

I also tried 0006, was the corresponding offset value to my 102 (or 106) when I checked it with the status value in the top post. I also tried 102 and 00 06 in the "lws_offset_korrektur_schreiben" thinking that using the error value as the offset value might return the final reading to zero. I believe these attempts resulted in error messages, which is why I didn't check the dash to see if the error had gone away after running it. Regardless, it may have worked, I don't know.

One of those worked. I was flabbergasted. I went for a short drive on a shitty road and the error did not return. It's only been an hour or so, but if the error returns I will let y'all know.

Gotta say it's not uncommon for me to think of my e93 m3 as a lemon! When it's running properly it's a beaut though. EDC replacements, undercarriage made of felt, plastic engine parts, bizarre steering wheel angle sensor errors - how people who don't fiddle, afford paying for repairs, is beyond me. I had an edc error and the pro bmw guy in my area had zero concept about it, had to troubleshoot it and repair it myself over 2 years wtf lol.
Same thing for me brother, I couldn't fathom paying dealer prices to troubleshoot all the gremlins
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2022, 06:07 PM   #11
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

I just ran into this issue and the above tips were helpful, but they were not 100% correct.

In the Tool32 program for steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben the argument needs to be:

Code:
0;0
The reason for this is there are 2 arguments - The first one is the axle... 0 is front, 1 is rear. Not sure why rear is even an option, maybe for cars with some kind of rear wheel steering? Either way, this needs to be 0. The second argument is whatever value you want to set for the angle. Of course we want 0 here to solve the issue. Then, ";" is the separator for the two arguments. I figured this out because its documented in Tool32 if you click on the command it actually explains what each argument is expected to be.

This was the only way I was able to get the EDC fault to go away after hours of messing with it.

Last edited by wootloops; 06-12-2022 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2022, 12:46 AM   #12
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
*Going to leave this up, but the cause was factory coding by Protool. I reverted to my original backup file and all is now well.

Sooo... I just got through the majority of this problem, but now I'm stuck on resetting my EDC. I used ProTool to calibrate the steering angle and got rid of the DSC error. I then factory coded the EDC module and tried to sync it to the the SZL, but have a perma 600a popping up. I figured that would take care of this, but here we are. I don't know if that error started before or after the EDC factory code.

Now I'm in Tool32 trying to do the above "0;0", but I'm simply way too unfamiliar with it. Coding is just not my thing. Anyone want to give me a rundown for dummies on the procedure here? I pulled up "steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben", and would prefer not wrecking anything.

Side note; I have a slight suspicion the EDC module is fried, but the timing coincidence is just too weird. My start/stop button is always lit, which is supposedly a symptom. I want to try this and maybe rule it out. Also, my car is a very early build with a different EDC module p/n than most. Not sure if that is significant.

Screen shot of what I'm currently looking at
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by TechE; 07-07-2022 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #13
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechE View Post
*Going to leave this up, but the cause was factory coding by Protool. I reverted to my original backup file and all is now well.

Sooo... I just got through the majority of this problem, but now I'm stuck on resetting my EDC. I used ProTool to calibrate the steering angle and got rid of the DSC error. I then factory coded the EDC module and tried to sync it to the the SZL, but have a perma 600a popping up. I figured that would take care of this, but here we are. I don't know if that error started before or after the EDC factory code.

Now I'm in Tool32 trying to do the above "0;0", but I'm simply way too unfamiliar with it. Coding is just not my thing. Anyone want to give me a rundown for dummies on the procedure here? I pulled up "steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben", and would prefer not wrecking anything.

Side note; I have a slight suspicion the EDC module is fried, but the timing coincidence is just too weird. My start/stop button is always lit, which is supposedly a symptom. I want to try this and maybe rule it out. Also, my car is a very early build with a different EDC module p/n than most. Not sure if that is significant.

Screen shot of what I'm currently looking at
View post on imgur.com
Put 0;0 in the white box above the button that says "argument wizard" and then hit F5 I believe
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 04:00 PM   #14
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

reviving an old thread, i know but i'm having this exact issue and the steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben job doesn't seem to do anything. it runs, says "success," but when I go to read the value it's same as before. i'm passing in 0;0...

any ideas?

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 01:04 PM   #15
mtf630
Rep
Drives: e93 m3 sparkling graphite

Can't get the steering angle offset to reset either

Is this forum dead, or maybe just bad luck for the guy above?

I am having the 5fe1 error and the offset is 104 and I cannot get this to change for the life of me.

I have tried every permutation of the tool32 reset stuff described here and even when it says success, the error persists through fault code reset.

HELP!
Appreciate 0