BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

05-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

Smile Wrapped VViVid Matte Metallic Lava Red

Wrapped the car near the end of the season last year. First pic I took of it fully done. Other car in the pic is my dads C300 I wrapped for him as well. Satin Pearl White from 3M.

This was the 3rd time I wrapped a car, little more efficient at it now, but its not perfect. Have a lot of respect to wrap shops who can manage to pull off a job and not be able to spot any imperfections.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Looks great. I'd be interested to see how the vivid holds up. I had a shop wrap my car in Avery rock grey, and I ended up later doing the jambs myself. Avery was super easy to work with. How did you find vivid? And have you tried any other brands.
      05-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
Looks great. I'd be interested to see how the vivid holds up. I had a shop wrap my car in Avery rock grey, and I ended up later doing the jambs myself. Avery was super easy to work with. How did you find vivid? And have you tried any other brands.
This is my first time using vivid. Used 3M twice before. Did the Mercedes in a matte dark grey and it held for about 5 years. Except the front bumper but that was my fault when wrapping.

So far its holding up pretty good. No peeling on any sharp corners. Dunno if ill keep this colour for 5 years, most likely 2 years from now Ill change it.

Compared to 3M vivid is defs more tacky, so its best to lay it down right the first time if you are doing it in your garage since itll pick up dust easy. Other than that its pretty much the same, but it hides stretching and over heating better.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Lambro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Vivid new premium plus is my favorite film to work with. If you're finding it too tacky use the tack reducer on large areas it'll save you a lot of time. Did you do inlays on the front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsEpic View Post
Vivid new premium plus is my favorite film to work with. If you're finding it too tacky use the tack reducer on large areas it'll save you a lot of time. Did you do inlays on the front bumper?
Yea put some inlays in. Front and rear bumper up close isnt perfect, but itll do for now. Plan on rewrapping them later in the season. Only real issue I have is a little air bubble near the headlight and grill area that I cant get rid of.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
Lambro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
Yea put some inlays in. Front and rear bumper up close isnt perfect, but itll do for now. Plan on rewrapping them later in the season. Only real issue I have is a little air bubble near the headlight and grill area that I cant get rid of.
take a picture of it let me see if i can help
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
Lambro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
This is my first time using vivid. Used 3M twice before. Did the Mercedes in a matte dark grey and it held for about 5 years. Except the front bumper but that was my fault when wrapping.

So far its holding up pretty good. No peeling on any sharp corners. Dunno if ill keep this colour for 5 years, most likely 2 years from now Ill change it.

Compared to 3M vivid is defs more tacky, so its best to lay it down right the first time if you are doing it in your garage since itll pick up dust easy. Other than that its pretty much the same, but it hides stretching and over heating better.
its also wise to wet your garage floor down to keep dust down when you wrap there. I dont normally do this, i just clean the hell out of my shop and I have carbon dust filters that makes a huge difference. but for DYI wet the garage floor does the trick
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsEpic View Post
its also wise to wet your garage floor down to keep dust down when you wrap there. I dont normally do this, i just clean the hell out of my shop and I have carbon dust filters that makes a huge difference. but for DYI wet the garage floor does the trick
Thanks yah I'll do that next time. When I decided to re do the bumpers ill shoot you a pm of where i have issues. thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
Ikejones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Love the color
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50