BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

04-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
snowman9711
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90 Sedan Black Manual

New York Auto Show-BMW section+M1

Hey guys im curious who went to the New York auto show at the javits center. I was there yesterday and of course went over to the BMW section. There I saw the usual car, but one appeance I was surpised about was the M1. I checked it out, sat in it, and talked to the woman who was watching the booth. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the m1 because though it was nice, if a person was to be spending 47-49 grand on that wip, save up for one more year and just grab an m3.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you want a real M car, save up and get the M3. BTW, it's 1M. The M1 is a TOTALLY different car...

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
motortrend
Goldmember
Rep
Drives: EM Siree

M1:

1M:

Don't call it an M1
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

depends on what you want to use the car for. the 1m will be tons of fun on the track, lighter, handling will be superb and less expensive. m3 is a great car too if you're looking for more of a DD to do lots of other things with it like take the kids shopping and loading up at costco
if you like the 1M, then buy it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

M3 for me! Totally biased of course, but I wouldn't mind getting one of them for my gf.

Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Don't know that I quite understand the "real M" argument. I think the 1m is a really good platform for a performance car, arguably more than the m3 (not trying to start a flame war, just stating an unbiased observation). The stigma associated with the m3 is a big draw for a lot of people, as it has a history for being a performance animal.

Sure the M3 gets a NA v8 which is badass, but the n54 has proven to be a very potent engine. The 1m has many of the same suspension components as the m3, on a smaller platform. For some, a fully loaded 1m makes sense more than an m3 with no options. Personally I like the 1m, and am seriously considering it as an option for my next vehicle. NA would be sweet, but a smaller platform with a twin turbo engine, m3 suspension components, LSD, bulging fenders etc. would be a very fun car.

I do have my problems with the 1m, none about the drivetrain though. Don't like the colors available. Wish I could get a grey. Also, have serious issues with the orange stitching on the interior and would have to see that in person to make a legitimate judgement call. The proportions of the 1 series looks odd at times, again I would have to see the 1m in person to really judge it.

I just don't understand the argument that it is not a real M car. True, all of the past M3s have been NA, but vehicles in general are moving in a different direction and all m cars in the future will most likely use forced induction.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

I almost like everything about the car except for Turbos. Slap a SC or make it NA and i will find it more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Don't know that I quite understand the "real M" argument. I think the 1m is a really good platform for a performance car, arguably more than the m3 (not trying to start a flame war, just stating an unbiased observation). The stigma associated with the m3 is a big draw for a lot of people, as it has a history for being a performance animal.

Sure the M3 gets a NA v8 which is badass, but the n54 has proven to be a very potent engine. The 1m has many of the same suspension components as the m3, on a smaller platform. For some, a fully loaded 1m makes sense more than an m3 with no options. Personally I like the 1m, and am seriously considering it as an option for my next vehicle. NA would be sweet, but a smaller platform with a twin turbo engine, m3 suspension components, LSD, bulging fenders etc. would be a very fun car.

I do have my problems with the 1m, none about the drivetrain though. Don't like the colors available. Wish I could get a grey. Also, have serious issues with the orange stitching on the interior and would have to see that in person to make a legitimate judgement call. The proportions of the 1 series looks odd at times, again I would have to see the 1m in person to really judge it.

I just don't understand the argument that it is not a real M car. True, all of the past M3s have been NA, but vehicles in general are moving in a different direction and all m cars in the future will most likely use forced induction.

I just don't like these newer cars with no heritage or history being classified as M cars. M3 has been around for a long as time and has every accolade you can imagine to back it up. 1 series is new and was made to expand lower into the the market. There is no history to this car. No heritage and no respect as of now - at least from me.

One day, i may respect the 1M, whatever generation that will be, but as of now, I just see it as marketing gimmick. As i have stated before, should have been the 135iS...

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)

Last edited by Seattle S65B40; 04-28-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
I just don't like these newer cars with no heritage or history being classified as M cars. M3 has been around for a long as time and has every accolade you can imagine to back it up. 1 series is new and was made to expand lower into the the market. There is no history to this car. No heritage and no respect as of now - at least from me.

One day, i may respect the 1M, whatever generation that will be, but as of now, I just see it as marketing gimmick. As i have stated before, should have been the 135iS...
agreed. not to mention, the N54 is potent for a street engine (aside from the inexcusably systemic fuel pump failures), but that doesn't make it suitable for motorsport. there's more to an engine than what can be gleaned from a dyno sheet.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Come visit me on Sunday. I will be working in the BMW area from 10-3. Please make sure to say hello.

Jeff
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
agreed. not to mention, the N54 is potent for a street engine (aside from the inexcusably systemic fuel pump failures), but that doesn't make it suitable for motorsport. there's more to an engine than what can be gleaned from a dyno sheet.
I can totally agree that the M3 has tons of heritage, it has been a dream car of mine ever since I got into cars. But some people need to stop being so closed minded about NA vs. FI. Not trying to say the M3 isn't an amazing car but there are plenty of FI cars with plenty of heritage too (Ferrari F40, Porsche GT2). Look at the GTR, rapes just about everything NA out there with more weight and 2 turbos. Saying that a turbo charged car isn't suitable for motorsport is a pretty biased thing to say, and in my opinion any car that is setup properly, regardless of engine characteristics, can be a great motorsport car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
CrazyJoe
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

looks good
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Every M car was a new idea at some point. Even the M3. And someone who owned an E30 M3 would probably joke about how even an E92 M3 is watered down it compared to its predecessors.
I have many more problems with an X6 being designated an M model than I do about a lighter car with a shorter wheel base such as the 1M being called an M car.
that being said, I wouldn't buy one. I'd get an M3. It's way better looking.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
Come visit me on Sunday. I will be working in the BMW area from 10-3. Please make sure to say hello.

Jeff
Going tomorrow night. Anyone going to be around?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post

I think part of it is because many consider the 1M coupe a "parts bin" creation.... 135 chassis, M3 parts (suspension, diff, wheels, brakes, etc), 335is engine, etc.

It is a great car for what it is, but methinks part of the "not a true M" label may stem from this viewpoint.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0