BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #23
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Auto solutions vs Turner Motorsports short shift kit!

I believe AS is the better option if you like one close to ideal setting and be done with it Vs Turner which is a very new but interesting option since it has adjustability which is a definite novelty & unique, I wonder though, how many people would frequently change the setting. Maybe one setting for street use and use the taller shift rod option for track.

I am still debating which one to get...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #24
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Thank you so much for such a detailed review!

Couple questions though:

Is there any audible vibrations from the shifter area while driving, say accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gears?

Is the shift rod positioned the same as stock or is it now closer to the driver? Position, say when in 1st gear?...Is it too close to the front edge of the surrounding console trim?

Have you tried driving with the included longer rally style extended shift rod? Would really appreciate some feedback on that!

Thanks a ton!
There is a tiny bit of transmission noise when accelerating in first gear that is sometimes noticeable but it’s not a negative, for me at least. It’s very subtle and only happens when accelerating from a stop. I attribute this to the much stiffer carrier bushings and not the Turner shifter itself. If I had to relate the sound to something I would say it sounds just like the typical transmission hum when accelerating in 1st and 2nd in the older M54 powered cars. I had a E36, E46, and a Z3 all with the 2.5L M54 and they all made the same subtle ‘humming’ sound in 1st and 2nd. Not sure if that helps to explain it. Either way, I wouldn’t call it ‘intrusive’ by any means. Other than that, there is no noise at all that I can hear in any other gear.

The shift rod is in the original position as far as I can tell. It does not seem to be any different than stock. The shift rod isn’t close at all to any of the surrounding trim. It fits well and is nice and centered like the stock shifter.

I have not driven with the longer shift knob as I didn’t order one but I am considering ordering one just for fun. If I order it I’ll be sure to give an update.

Last edited by dfjaws; 01-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #25
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm always entertained to see how people will move to a completely unproven product instead of another one that has been around since the dinosaurs roamed the earth and always gets the best reviews
I considered the AS kit but ultimately went with this because I liked the adjustability factor. I think unless a person has a great deal of experience with shift kits it can be hard to quantify what a particular percentage reduction really feels like. The nice part about this kit is you can really dial it in to your individual preference. Plus, I get a good bit of enjoyment out of tinkering with things so the Turner kit really appealed to me in that regard as well. I know it was kind of a risk buying a new and unproven product but my dealings with Turner have always been great (ECS too for that matter) and that gave me the confidence to roll the dice on it so to speak.

It’s also nice to be able to provide some early feedback to the forum and hopefully give people enough of an idea about its real life performance that they can more easily make the best decision for themselves.
Ali-E90378.50
      01-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #26
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Sure tg AS is the ultimate kit, but the price difference is pretty significant too. Turner can be had for around 250 on a sale and these seem to be dropped pretty often. Basically you pay 150 extra for the connecting rod and the rod joint, which probably remove the ~5mm lateral play that is left after you do the bushings and install a new shifter. And when there's a cheaper alternative that also has something new to offer, why not take a look To be honest I like how the stock shifter works now with delrin and poly carrier bushings and a shorter throw would make it close to perfect.
But that's just like, my opinion, man.

The adjustability is great for a reason mentioned above. I have no idea how much % I would like best. Doubt I would change it for track and street though.

The ssk is rather far on my list for now, but I am happy to read all the reviews and have a productive discussion
      01-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #27
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here’s a quick link to a imgur album showing the knob position in neutral, 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th. I just did it quick on my iPhone so the photos aren’t perfectly aligned or anything but hopefully this gives people an idea of the knob position. For reference my knob height is a touch lower than stock (can go higher if you want) and I would estimate the throw to be around 35% reduction based on the ball position (that literally just me guessing based on the 24-45% reduction spec, haha).

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by dfjaws; 01-09-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:41 AM   #28
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Thanks for the photos
I also enjoyed the comments haha
Attached Images

01-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #29
brodiem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
without seeing it next to a stock shifter, does it look like the whole thing is pushed further forward a bit?
      01-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #30
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiem View Post
without seeing it next to a stock shifter, does it look like the whole thing is pushed further forward a bit?
I don’t think so. It could be but it really doesn’t feel any different.
      12-31-2023, 02:25 PM   #31
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Anyone with this shifter have centering issues?
When in Neutral and tilted left towards 1/2, it centers.
When tilted right towards 5/6, it stays there and doesn't return to center.

We've tried every position of the DSSR (no instructions anywhere ok current orientation) we originally placed it in the same orientation as stock, then tried all 4 directions. Same behavior.

Then we tried the stock selector rod, same behavior, also tried varying throw reduction, from min to about 1/2. Same issue.

I'm thinking two things, either the transmission detent springs are weak and can't center the tighter ssk, or everything is tight and needs to be broken in? ...or maybe it's just like this but I haven't heard anyone complain about this.

I've installed CAE, RTD, Dinan, AS SSKs and never seen this happen.
Appreciate 0