BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What style diffuser do you prefer?
Type I (with side pieces) 9 20.00%
Type II (without side pieces) 36 80.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

02-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Rear diffuser type I or type II??

I placed a deposit on an Eclipse type II style diffuser which I'm really excited about. But after seeing a pic of a space grey e92 with a type I style, I'm not so sure I made the right choice.

What do you guys think, type I style (with side pieces) or type II style (without side pieces)?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

I was debating the same thing, i was going to get the type 2 just because i wasn't going to spend 1400 on the full carbon fiber type I, but now you can get both in replicas and there is only a $100 difference. So really its just what you like better.
      02-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

That's just it, I don't know which one I like better now.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Each has their own benefit:

Type 1: Purchase only if you're going to leave the entire part unpainted. On lighter cars, it gives the rear bumper a unique contrast against the rest of the car.

Type 2: Purchase if you want to keep the aggressive lines of the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
Each has their own benefit:

Type 1: Purchase only if you're going to leave the entire part unpainted. On lighter cars, it gives the rear bumper a unique contrast against the rest of the car.

Type 2: Purchase if you want to keep the aggressive lines of the rear bumper.
Good point! But would you call Space Grey a light colour or a dark colour?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
With your color i think either one would look great. What did you do in the front?
      02-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine335i View Post
With your color i think either one would look great. What did you do in the front?
Nothing as of yet. I'm waiting on a set of rep splitters and depending on how they look I'll choose between the splitters or a VRS rep lip.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Being you and I both own SG, we probably will agree on this: SG is the one color on the M3 that is neither too light nor too dark. Because of that the color expresses the masculine, subtle, and aggressive lines of the car perfectly. The Type 1 diffuser hides those lines on the rear bumper with a mass of black. That's why I designed the Type 2, so that there's still some black contrasting against SG but you still get to see all of the car's great lines. But hey, to each their own AND I'm biased. /twocents
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Being you and I both own SG, we probably will agree on this: SG is the one color on the M3 that is neither too light nor too dark. Because of that the color expresses the masculine, subtle, and aggressive lines of the car perfectly. The Type 1 diffuser hides those lines on the rear bumper with a mass of black. That's why I designed the Type 2, so that there's still some black contrasting against SG but you still get to see all of the car's great lines. But hey, to each their own AND I'm biased. /twocents
Yeah i think the Type 2 will look better, Eclipse you need to get some pics up of the diffuser in its final stages, i saw you had the pics from when you were doing the test fitment. Pics might persuade him to buy from you
      02-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You definitely make a good point about the colour. Space Grey definitely excels all other colours in that it shows the aggressive muscle that other colours seem to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine335i View Post
Yeah i think the Type 2 will look better, Eclipse you need to get some pics up of the diffuser in its final stages, i saw you had the pics from when you were doing the test fitment. Pics might persuade him to buy from you
I did buy from Eric and I'm excited about it too. It's just that sometimes (and probably a lot of us are like this) when I'm faced with choices, I tend to second guess my choice until I'm fully convinced within my own mind that my choice was the right one.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Quote:
What do you guys think, type I style (with side pieces) or type II style (without side pieces)?
I've seen the side pieces on the type 1 vrs. It looks crappy imo. But its really personal preference.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #12
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Looks like the majority vote is for the type 2 diffuser. Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Not sure, I'd like to see pictures of them both mounted to get an idea. Does anyone have any pics of these two diffuser's?
Appreciate 0