BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

White paint on my black car

Last week, while walking up to my car, I noticed something awful… just horrible. Paint. White paint that had been kicked up by my tires that was now on my car. I almost cried upon discovering this… almost.

Name:  white front fender.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  255.6 KB

Name:  white rear fender.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  169.0 KB

To be sure it really was paint, I immediately drove to the closest “wash your own car” place. It did not come off. Dejectedly, I drove home. Over the next few days, I received several suggestions for fixing it on my own: denatured alcohol, cutting compound, Mothers R3 Racing Rubber Remover, clay bar, the list goes on. I was a little worried about going at it on my own, so I called my detailer friend. He moved his schedule around to get me in the next morning.

Name:  ext detail may 18.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  167.9 KB

All better The next time I see him I’m going to ask him what he used because it was amazing. Hopefully, he will tell me.

I just wanted to share my experience, because I almost had a heart attack when I saw the paint on my car. But, it was all good in the end
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      06-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I suspect he had to use something fairly abrasive to "grind" it off the paint. I have had that happen before and had to use stuff like M105 if claying didn't work.
      06-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Yeah, I would have cried.

What a relief it came off. I hate driving through sprinkler run off.......*(&#&@&$ black cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I suspect he had to use something fairly abrasive to "grind" it off the paint. I have had that happen before and had to use stuff like M105 if claying didn't work.
The words "grind" and "paint" used in the same sentence make me kind of want to freak out a little bit lmao. Just the thought of that is very unnerving. You detail experts amaze me with your ability to fix shit like this.

When I asked him if it was possible to get the paint off, or if I was just screwed, he laughed and said he had something specifically for this type of thing. I was really busy at work though and didn't have time to stand around chatting. I am really curious to know what he used though. I'm supposed to talk to him in the next couple days. If I can get him to tell me, I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Yeah, I would have cried.

What a relief it came off. I hate driving through sprinkler run off.......*(&#&@&$ black cars.
To be completely honest... I did cry a little lol.

Relief is right. When I saw the car after it had been cleaned up I was beyond happy. Words can't really accurately describe the combined relief & happiness of that moment. I think I cried a little then too lmao. Tears of joy

Yeah, black cars can be umm... challenging at times.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

For the record, this is how my friend removed the paint:

1. Road tar remover to soften/loosen up the paint
2. Pressure washer on medium setting to blast off what he could
3. Bug pad to get what couldn’t be removed with pressure washer

He did say that my regular waxing helped to prevent the paint from sticking bad. He has had a much harder time removing paint from other cars in the past. He also said that something like M105 would be the next step if his plan A didn’t work, but that would have required a lot more time obviously for polishing etc. Thankfully, Plan A worked as a quick fix for now. My car is due for a full, in-depth exterior detail soon anyways…

My only hope is that this could help someone who has this happen to them, because I was really worried at first! But, it turned out to be not that big of a deal.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I think the white looked good mixed with the black
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
DreamTime
Captain