BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

An American Giant::Victory Road/IND visits HRE Wheels

HRE wheels has been a stronghold of the US wheel manufacturing business for nearly three decades and over this time has become an example of just what’s possible with hard work, perseverance, and dedication to building the best parts possible. This summer while visiting some clients a few IND staff members were fortunate enough to stop by HRE’s manufacturing facility for a tour of the inner workings of the company.

Please join us for this photo preview of HRE!

First impressions are always critical, and HRE’s building does not disappoint. The manicured face, host of modified cars parked outside, and the logo styled to resemble an HRE center cap all give even the outside of the building a unique personality.

The HRE office immediately makes a statement about the company’s core values. The office looks colorful and playful, with images of some of the world’s best sports cars decorating the walls.

One of my favorite things about HRE as a company is their embrace of color. Most forged wheel manufacturers in the US will rarely stray from the monochrome, but HRE’s focus for years has been on expanding their color palette.

The offices are full of displays of HRE wheels. Everything from classic wheel styles to brand new wheels still in development were inside the common office room.

One of my favorite displays at the office was this, the build process of an HRE wheel from start to finish. Here the wheel starts as a blank aluminum core, is forged into it’s basic shape, and finally machined into the finished P40SC wheel.

Walking from the organized offices into the bustle of the manufacturing facility was a large contrast. Every square foot of shop space seemed in use, and I’m fairly certain that I have never seen more wheels and wheel pieces in one place in my life.

Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machinery occupied the majority of the building to our right, and to our left were stacks of mushroom shaped forged blanks, destined to be cut into wheel centers for three piece wheels.

HRE’s production facility is directly behind their main offices, in the same building. This allows for any production issues or engineering revisions to be implemented immediately- something that translates directly into better service and response times.

HRE’s host of CNC mills are in a constant state of flux, with newer and updated machines added frequently to keep up with changing and progressively more complex wheel designs. The constant hum of the CNC machines instilled an aura of progress and productivity to the room.

Taking a peak inside one of the CNC machines, we could literally watch a new three piece wheel center taking shape.

Finished wheel centers are attached to their order numbers and move down the assembly line for finishing and final assembly.

Each wheel is then taken to a special chemical bath to remove any impurities or contaminants prior to final finishing.

I was amazed to discover that the ever popular brushed aluminum finish found on HRE wheels is applied entirely by hand! Only a handful of HRE’s best technicians are able to meticulously brush the face of each wheel to create the well known pattern.

Final assembly and quality check of each wheel is done by hand. Every wheel is inspected for machining or finish flaws before being shipped, and three piece wheel assembly is performed using either high strength stainless steel fastners or ultra light weight titanium hardware.

Finally, wheels are packed, boxed, and ready to ship to their respective owners. Walking past the shipping area gave us a great view of some of HRE’s new finishes, including matte and gloss bronzes, a great gloss black, and even a super bright blue!

Visiting the HRE facility left an impression of a true commitment to quality, an impressive sense of professionalism from each member of the HRE staff, and most of all a love for creativity, fun, and pushing the envelope. Thanks to all of the HRE staff for showing us around, and thanks to our readers for viewing this tour!

Last edited by Ryan@IND; 07-17-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Sweet! Thanks for sharing, looks like next summers wheels are definitely down to BBS or HRE.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Was at the open house over the weekend. Very nice facility.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold E39 M5

Thanks for the visit IND Welcome anytime.

And for those that are ever in San Diego area, feel free to contact us to schedule private tour.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

great operation
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Amazing stuff. I love seeing different manufacturing facilities. It amazes me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Great write-up and pics.

I really like this openness from HRE, showing us their facilities, who else in the wheel business in US has shown us their facilities like HRE has, non that I known of.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

In my opinion nobody has the quality of HRE I have seen pictures of the inside of other manufactures and the cleanliness here is first class. You can tell so much from pictures.

I see the bolt ring lighteneing pockets on the sets that are upside down. Do they all have this???
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Wow very impressive. I love their work. Now, I love their work x 100. Great coverage.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

OMG...What color is that on the P40's? Thats the color I want on my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
In my opinion nobody has the quality of HRE I have seen pictures of the inside of other manufactures and the cleanliness here is first class. You can tell so much from pictures.

I see the bolt ring lighteneing pockets on the sets that are upside down. Do they all have this???
Yes! All our 3pc wheels incorporate standard weight savings pocketing. We do not consider that as an "option", its a standard on all of HRE's 3pc wheels. We don't believe it's necessary to additional charge for this feature. The Monoblok wheels have standard pocketing for weight savings.

Check out the picture of C93 and Vintage 505 showing the weight pocketing.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

very nice, shop looks great HRE
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
OMG...What color is that on the P40's? Thats the color I want on my wheels.
Transparent blue

Here it is on the P43S:

07-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@VR View Post
Transparent blue

Here it is on the P43S:

Hey man.. Do you have any details on this color? Is is powder coat or paint? Of those two, any idea where I can buy the supplies? It seems transparent blue is a finish, not a color....and a multi process finish at that. Just want to make sure I'm picking up what your throwing down. Please advise if possible.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #16
duke10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: In between cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@VR View Post
Transparent blue

Here it is on the P43S:

That's a gorgeous color. Any idea on how it would look on a SSII e92? I've been looking around for a new set of HRE but still can't decide on what finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
Hey man.. Do you have any details on this color? Is is powder coat or paint? Of those two, any idea where I can buy the supplies? It seems transparent blue is a finish, not a color....and a multi process finish at that. Just want to make sure I'm picking up what your throwing down. Please advise if possible.

Thanks!!
I'm pretty sure it's powdercoated. I don't think painted wheels would cost $6k+
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #17
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Awesome pictures thanks for sharing!

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!