BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

03-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Agree totally- Green X challenge has to be the most idiotic thing to racing...

The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón stakes its claim as the Global Leader in Green Racing by being the only racing series recognized to comply with the Green Racing protocols developed by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and SAE International (SAE). These organizations see Green Racing as a way to foster technology developments for tomorrow’s production vehicles, enhance national energy security and reduce carbon emissions.The ALMS, DOE, EPA and SAE have formed a partnership to demonstrate that advanced automotive technologies and renewable fuels can meet the performance requirements of even the most demanding endurance racing conditions and can be readily transferred from raceway to driveway. The world-class competition in the ALMS shows that Green Racing is real, ultra-competitive and makes for great racing.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I knew it was all bullshit as soon as I read the magic initials - D O E and E P A.

The funny (sad!) thing is that all this crap does is detract from real development and initiatives.

I'm going to keep saying it over and over - HYDROGEN VEHICLES PEOPLE...

Such a joke...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #46
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Great race by BMW's despite the cheap shot at the end by the Ferrari driver.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #47
andreadebi
Rep
Drives:

on italian magazine there was a report about le mans 2 years ago..some quotes-data

.. The team Porsche Felbermayr for only le mans reserve a budget of € 2 million, two thirds of what it spends for the entire season in the le mans series. "But if we do not participate in the 24 hours - explains owner christian ried - we have difficulty finding the money for other races because the sponsors support us only if we race at Le Mans "

Prodrive chief David Richards, on Evo mag, October 2010:
How much will cost the bmw-mini wrc team?
"I would say that the costs are halved.In the 2005 we spent 35mln € for subaru but I expect the cost to race 2 Mini are around 17 mln €. For comparison, the aston martin spent 12mln € to attend le mans last year (2009) "
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #48
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M3 GT4, E30 M3...

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
The rims.....
Yah, what's the story on those rims - they don't look as "skinny" as most mesh-style rims. I'm sure there is some science to them...???
Talked with the team about the wheels. They are a proprietary wheel developed by BMW in the wind tunnel for the cars last year at Le Mans. They are manufactured by BBS for BMW. They help some with the top speed. Up close they are really intricate.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #49
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Never mind the M3, will they abandon all "stock" car racing? I really don't think they will. So then, we can assume some strategy is in place or will be put in place to homolongate future BMWs to race. Just because BMW is going to an all turbocharged engine line-up does not mean the days of sport car racing are over for them. If it were the case, then the racing world is in serious trouble since plenty of other manufactures are moving toward turbocharged engines as well.

They already use the older S62 in the GT class cars. In fact, the S65 isn't even legal in that class. The lower "stock" class where the S65-powered Turner cars do compete (GS, I think?) may not allow forced induction, but the ruling body had better consider it soon IMHO. Same for the street classes.
In terms of factory BMW race team. Yes I believe they are done with endurance racing for now. They will concentrate on DTM racing. In which the car has zero to do with a road going car.

Yes I still wonder about teams like Turner, Fall-Line that run in Continental Tire Series. The Continental Tire Series does allow FI. APR and Subaru run the S4 and WRX Sti in the GS class. But they do not do well against the big NA V8's. I worry about what private teams are going to have to deal with to compete with the big displacement cars like the mustang.

The Rolex Series is a different animal. The GT class cars are tube frame chassis, with one off carbon fiber bodys. Turner's tube-frame chassis M3 does run the S62. The car is far from actual M3, rather it isn't even a M3 at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #50
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not to question Scott but he is not always on point with racing specifics. All they would need to do is build 100 units with the S65 in it- not hard to do at all with no added cost. I think we can say the S65 is still state of the art for NA.

It will be interesting but they can do it if they wanted to. I can't honestly say they will race again but there is still some chance under the current rules.

Gran Am is still using the old E39 M5 V8 and that is still competitive.
That is Turner Motorsports as you know, not a factory team. My original statements are in regard to factory BMW racing teams or heavily factory supported racing teams. Not a private team sticking a tired S62 in a tube frame and getting spanked every weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #51
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
That is Turner Motorsports as you know, not a factory team. My original statements are in regard to factory BMW racing teams or heavily factory supported racing teams. Not a private team sticking a tired S62 in a tube frame and getting spanked every weekend.
Has nothing to do with Turner- that is what is in the rule book. Turner is running a new chassis.I'm not a fan of Grand AM/Rolex/Continental at all- been to one race and refuse to cover it. Ganassi is running them (S62) in DP as per the rule book. The E92 will run in VLN under the Motorsport banner, and the Z4 GT3 is competing in every market outside the US with private though BMW supported teams.

BMW will need to build out 2 more teams at least in the US for DTM- total of 10 cars, so that means money needing to go to that project from the Motorsport budget.
      03-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #52
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Has nothing to do with Turner- that is what is in the rule book. Turner is running a new chassis.I'm not a fan of Grand AM/Rolex/Continental at all- been to one race and refuse to cover it. Ganassi is running them (S62) in DP as per the rule book. The E92 will run in VLN under the Motorsport banner, and the Z4 GT3 is competing in every market outside the US with private though BMW supported teams.
Rolex and Continental Tire are two very different animals. I don't really care for Rolex either. But the Continental Tire Series is the best racing going inside the US. No other racing series can touch it. 82 cars in the opening round, great stuff. I find it more interesting as the cars are basically street cars with little modifications and safety equipment.

It is still going to be interesting to see how Turner/Fall-Line/Insight will deal with the next gen turbo M3 in Continental Tire Series. I worry about them going up against the big V8's in the class in the future.

Yes, the Z4 GT3 will continue with the normally aspirated V8. BMW factory team will not be at 24 hours with the new M3. They won't be in ALMS with the new M3.

Quote:
BMW will need to build out 2 more teams at least in the US for DTM- total of 10 cars, so that means money needing to go to that project from the Motorsport budget.
All the more reason why they won't be going endurance racing with the new M3.
Appreciate 0