BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

10-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
GeoXP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Space Grey - ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
P(m3>s5 | M3>rs5 ∩ Rs5>s5) = 100%
I like!

Thought the RS5 is HAAAWWWTT. As mentioned before, the S5 isn't really a competitor to the M. If you compare the models, it is a competitor to the 335i/is.

Interestingly, during my ED back in August, I actually had a great opportunity to drive both. My brother-in-law and his fiancee came with us and did a simultaneous ED on an S5 Cabrio while we got our new M3. He and I did, at one point, switch cars for about 50-60 miles while driving back from the Col de Turini.

Thoughts:
It's a very comfortable car (for me). I'm a little bigger at 6'3" and 230lbs
The seats were set just a little wider which I liked as I always feel just a little squeezed in my M.

It's a very easy car to drive fast. The AWD and FI-6-cyl put down a decent amount of power and it felt properly quick. You also feel very confident pushing it. Not sure how it feels at the limit though as I didn't press too hard. The exhaust sound, comparitively, was pretty lacking. Steering feel was very light.

The electronics are amazing. I AM really happy with the new, re-designed NAV and iDrive in my M. But being my third new bimmer in a row, maybe the styling was getting a little tired for me. But nonethless it had a good layout.

Those two tone seats were very nice, but apparently there is a known issue with them as the color was literally coming off of my jeans and "staining" the light grey middle part of them. I guess you CAN clean them, but that was just weird.

Overall though, in my experience, the S5 just ends up being a very good car that you can comfortably drive quite quickly and with a lot of confidence. However, everything about the M3 is just a little more focused on performance. From the ride, to the engine, to the steering feel, everything. More connected and visceral. It is certainly a car you can drive in a gentlemanly fashion. But when pushed, hard, it really comes alive and shows you what it is underneath.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread