BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM
View Poll Results: What is your favorite exhaust system for the M3
Eisenmann Sport 1 33.33%
Eisenmann Race 0 0%
Akarapovic Evolution 1 33.33%
Other 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

09-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Eisenmann exhaust review-Race V Sport and video comparisons

Hi guys
Thought this may be of interest. A fairly comprehensive comparison video between the Eisenmann Sport and Race exhaust systems and just for good measure an Eisenmann Race with Challenge engineering X pipes with high flow cats.

Although it’s been done quite a bit, this review for the sport and race is on the same car under similar conditions, so I’m happy to comment on both systems, and also had the pleasure of spending a bit of time in the M3 with the Eisenmann Race and challenge engineering x pipes.

All of these systems were originally supplied by Andrew Brien down south at Southern BM. Andrew is the Eisenmann Guru and can provide the best advice.
All systems are a matter of taste, and these two are quite different but are of the same superb manufactured quality. I have never seen tips as good as the 83mm quad Le Mans tips that are supplied with this system. The connecting pipes should also be purchased and used instead of hacking off the factory pipes at the rear silencer. Inevitably the stock system may go back on when that terrible day of selling the M3 comes.

The sound of either is incredible, the sport is substantially quieter. If you look at the specs the sport is 75 dB on a moving vehicle, the race 95dB. With 3dB being double the volume, the Race system is some 6.6 times louder than the sport. The sport is around 3dB louder than stock (Double) and has a pronounced idle tone and very subtle exhaust tone. If anything it could be louder but is a huge improvement over stock. The race on the other hand sounds incredible under load and acceleration but has the disadvantage of quite some drone at low RPM and gentle round town driving. Realistically I think the sport is more suitable for every day driving but lacks that sheer exhilaration of the most amazing tone under load when driving the Race system. I went from a sport to race willingly and then more reluctantly back to the sport. Having had the experience with both I’m really happy to share the experience.

Hope the video is of some value and enjoyment. You do need good speakers to get the true effect. Most of the video was compiled with a professional grade microphone.

Last edited by DaveDee; 09-28-2011 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Update video link
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks. Nice comparison. Still can't decide what to do but loved your video.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhird View Post
Thanks. Nice comparison. Still can't decide what to do but loved your video.
Thanks for the comment, I now have the Akrapovic Evo and of all systems it's by far the best, but much more expensive. Out of the Eisenmann sport or race though I think the Sport is far more suitable for every day driving. The Race is about 6.5 times louder than the sport with the trade off of quite some cabin drone in the round town driving range. I had the Sport for 6 months and never had a problem, it sounds great and is only about 2 times louder than stock but has a much nicer tone at idle, under acceleration and at highway cruising speed. I had the Race for a few weeks and just found it too impractical for every day driving and put the sport back on. If you want a really big improvement from stock the Sport is just perfect unless you are prepared to pay double for the Akrapovic Evo.
In the end it comes down to personal choice with price a factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Great video comparison.

The Race system sounds 100 times better.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0