BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

For you G-Power owners with some miles on your kit.

I was at an HPDE at Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago with slcook54, and I lost boost toward the end of Session 1.
I could hear the boost leak (WOOSHING) but there wasn't any way to repair it at the track, so I just had to adapt the driving style a bit, but still had a blast (such an awesome track, and a nice mild climate).

How the bypass system works is that all three valves progressively open as vacuum increases (chopping throttle), to release pressure as the blower overruns.
All three valves close as vacuum decreases (mashing throttle), which then allows pressure (boost) to build.

When I got home, I removed the blower pump, airbox and plenum, then performed a bench test with a vacuum pump on the Bypass Valve Assembly.
I discovered that the two small valves were leaking vacuum and were unable to open, and that the vacuum leaks were significant enough to prevent even the large center valve from opening as well.
So because all three valves remained closed when I lifted the throttle, and the blower continued to overrun, the system could not relieve the over pressure into the airbox, which caused the hose between the intercooler discharge and the plenum intake to dislodge and create the boost leak.

Replaced the two small (outboard) valves and all is right with the world once again.

GP-Infinitas is where you can source spare parts for these kits.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 6
Green-Eggs1438.50
SAMM3Y3085.00
Johal E32163.00
derbo3610.00
DrFerry6728.50
cs91.50
      07-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Nice job Chris!

One of the few kits out stateside and with tons of mileage!
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      07-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Seems like an Audi logo on the small blowoff valve. I wonder if it will be worthwhile to replace all the valves with aftermarket metal units. They look like typical OEM turbo recirculating blowoff valves to me.
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      07-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Seems like an Audi logo on the small blowoff valve. I wonder if it will be worthwhile to replace all the valves with aftermarket metal units. They look like typical OEM turbo recirculating blowoff valves to me.
Sharp eye!
Yes, the two small valves are Audi/VW diverter valves.
The large valve in the center has a euro spec Mitsubishi part number from a Lancer Evo.

Unfortunately, GP-Infinitas modifies the valves by machining off the hose barb feature for a precision o-ring fit into the plenum.

The cost for the modified valves from GP-Infinitas isn't at all unreasonable, but I just didn't want to wait, so I ordered the two Audi valves from FCP and machined them myself.
If the Mitsubishi valve had been bad as well, I probably would have waited. I just couldn't find an obvious replacement locally.

I did order a new center valve, and all new rubber parts as well though, so spares are on their way from Germany.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Why are you continuing to use a 710C? 710P is the latest revision of the kayser “710” valve. I used two generic 710P kayser valves and it worked perfectly fine. Instant response and $50 at fcp
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      07-18-2021, 01:32 AM   #6
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Why are you continuing to use a 710C? 710P is the latest revision of the kayser “710” valve. I used two generic 710P kayser valves and it worked perfectly fine. Instant response and $50 at fcp
The first reason is out of an abundance of caution.
The kit and the tune are from 2009, and it still works really good just the way it is.
I just didn't want to chance any unintended consequences by changing hardware for fear the software couldn't deal with the change.

The second reason is ignorance.
I'm not familiar enough with Audi valves to know what the differences might be between the "C" and the "P".

The third reason is that the "C" valve was available from FCP for $52.00 each
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
DimitrisM3
e90 my big fat lady!
Greece
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
The kit and the tune are from 2009, and it still works really good just the way it is.
I just didn't want to chance any unintended consequences by changing hardware for fear the software couldn't deal with the change.

I'm not familiar enough with Audi valves to know what the differences might be between the "C" and the "P".

We have better solution!!

https://www.bar-tek-tuning.de/pop-off-ventil-bar-tek?number=2118t106
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitrisM3 View Post
Quote:

We have better solution!!

https://www.bar-tek-tuning.de/pop-of...umber=2118t106
That is a very nice looking valve assembly!

At a minimum I would need to machine off the 2X hose barb feature, and I would still need to know some other dimensions before I could determine if it was possible to fit it between the G-Power plenum and airbox.
The valves are modified by GP-Infinitas and they also leverage some of the injection molded features to retain them.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92

Last edited by Davisca455; 07-18-2021 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 01:36 AM   #9
DimitrisM3
e90 my big fat lady!
Greece
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
That is a very nice looking valve assembly!

At a minimum I would need to machine off the 2X hose barb feature, and I would still need to know some other dimensions before I could determine if it was possible to fit it between the G-Power plenum and airbox.
The valves are modified by GP-Infinitas and they also leverage some of the injection molded features to retain them.
Sent me dm
Your phone number
We have g power group
Appreciate 0