BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #1
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

Maintenance suggestions - 100k miles

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions on my proposed maintenance list for my 08 m3. I bought the car last summer with just under 100k, with the PO having replaced the starter, thermostat, and throttle actuators. After purchasing I had a local indy take care of the rod bearings, motor/trans mounts, and trans fluid. Shortly after that, I did the spark plugs and also swapped in a low mile set of EDC struts & swift springs.

I have access to a hoist and am planning on doing the following over the next few weeks. I'm looking for feedback on whether there's anything else I should do "while I'm in there" - I know it's a slippery slope to go down but I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time and want her to be ready for track duty and road trips this summer.

-Valve cover gaskets (along with newly powdercoated valve covers) & spark tubes
-Oil Filter Housing gasket
-MS underdrive pulleys/belt
-Idler pulley
-Alternator (Valeo)
-rad hoses
-AA test pipes & new donut gaskets
-Center Support Bearing/Guibo
-autosolutions SSK
-Stoptech ST40 (front) bbk, stainless steel brake lines (F/R)
-rear diff fluid/drain plug washers

Is it worth preventatively changing the water pump, radiator, and/or coolant temp sensors at this interval (leaning towards yes)? Is there anything else I should consider changing out that I'll kick myself for not doing when it's moderately disassembled like this?

Suspension-wise I'm planning to buy the full TRW front/rear control arm kit next winter and also drop the rear subframe to powdercoat and do the subframe/diff bushings.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You might want to get valve covers from FCP Euro instead of doing powder coated ones + gaskets + bolts etc so you get completely new ones + their lifetime warranty. Since they come with the gaskets and bolts it's not quite as bad, though still expensive. And when there's inevitably a leak in the future, you can get a brand new valve cover for free to fix it. Don't forget a new oil cap as well, as thats a common leak.

On that topic, if you don't know about FCP Euro, they have no-questions lifetime replacement on all their parts, so when my brake rotors wear out from track use, i can get them replaced free by shipping back my old ones.

When you do valve cover gaskets, do the timing cover gaskets as well

Do a power steering fluid flush, and brake fluid flush if you don't get the BBK.

People seem to really like the Ultimate Clutch Pedal so that may want to go on your list
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
You might want to get valve covers from FCP Euro instead of doing powder coated ones + gaskets + bolts etc so you get completely new ones + their lifetime warranty. Since they come with the gaskets and bolts it's not quite as bad, though still expensive. And when there's inevitably a leak in the future, you can get a brand new valve cover for free to fix it. Don't forget a new oil cap as well, as thats a common leak.

On that topic, if you don't know about FCP Euro, they have no-questions lifetime replacement on all their parts, so when my brake rotors wear out from track use, i can get them replaced free by shipping back my old ones.

When you do valve cover gaskets, do the timing cover gaskets as well

Do a power steering fluid flush, and brake fluid flush if you don't get the BBK.

People seem to really like the Ultimate Clutch Pedal so that may want to go on your list
This 100%

Only other thing I really suggest is doing your fuel vent breather valve and possibly the ICV.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
This 100%

Only other thing I really suggest is doing your fuel vent breather valve and possibly the ICV.
Fuel vent valve isn't bad in price and difficulty, but only needed if your engine RPMs bounce around after you fill with gas. ICV is expensive, something like $600 so I say just replace if you have erratic idle or once you have an issue with it. It's a common failure though, mine failed around 50k. I'd suggest just putting that money in your piggy bank for whatever breaks in the future, at the time it breaks.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I already picked up a set of black PC'd VCs but will order the VC gaskets and other components through FCP.

I'll add the oil cap, timing cover gasket, PS fluid, and the fuel vent breather to my list for now. I've never noticed any erratic idle but for $50-60 for the Bosch fuel vent breather on FCP it seems like cheap insurance.

UCP will join the "long-term" list!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #6
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Water pump should last to about 150k miles. But check for weeping on the bottom side of the shaft. If you're removing the water pump pulley without removing the tensioner, be careful when you put it back in. The plastic doesn't take impacts well.

Is your alternator throwing codes? Not sure why you're replacing that. It will go out eventually, but also mine went out around 150k.

If you're pulling all those components out and have access to the back side of the radiator, you may want to clean it from the back side.

In terms of small items if you're doing the water pump there are metal replacements for the plastic drain plug and the coolant bleed screw.
Appreciate 0