BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

For those w/enclosed trailers

My experience this weekend made we quite glad to have a trailer to transport my car to and from the track. However, I hadn't counted on an inability to drive on to/off of the trailer. Luckily my buddy had a portable winch which we were able to MacGyver so I didn't need to plead for labor at the end of a brutally hot two-day track event.

Any one have a recommendation for a good portable winch? And would it need to be rated for the weight of the car or is it not that exact?

Off topic, but my issue was minor compared to the young man who had a bad off and brutally swiped the tire barrier with his "new" Cayman GT4. Passenger side was just plain mangled. Felt bad for him.

Thanks,

SJ
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2537
Rep
7,636
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

What prevented you from driving on and off the trailer?
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
What prevented you from driving on and off the trailer?
6MT clutch/transmission was completely gone. Engine was running and could select gears but car did nothing but rev. I've since listened to the audio and it sounded rather fatal when it went. Have a 9am drop off tomorrow w/RRT in Virginia. Premium pricing but they do great work. We'll see what they say.
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
OG Shark
Major
OG Shark's Avatar
878
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: Angry
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
My experience this weekend made we quite glad to have a trailer to transport my car to and from the track. However, I hadn't counted on an inability to drive on to/off of the trailer. Luckily my buddy had a portable winch which we were able to MacGyver so I didn't need to plead for labor at the end of a brutally hot two-day track event.

Any one have a recommendation for a good portable winch? And would it need to be rated for the weight of the car or is it not that exact?

Off topic, but my issue was minor compared to the young man who had a bad off and brutally swiped the tire barrier with his "new" Cayman GT4. Passenger side was just plain mangled. Felt bad for him.

Thanks,

SJ
Superwinch, Warn, Smittybuilt. Superwinch has one that is set up in a tool box that is pretty plug & play. Any winch with enough capacity can typically be made to work though depending on how you secure it to the trailer so lots of good options out there. Would recommend a synthetic rope in place of the steel cable. Personally would look for a minimum of 4k lbs but what you are needing to cover is the rolling resistance.

A mount using a trailer receiver can be fabbed up pretty easily and then be a very quick hook up if you are not wanting it to be permanently mounted.

You can also use a come along if not wanting to go all out on a winch. Not as much fun but can be a workable solution.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack197.00

      07-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Superwinch, Warn, Smittybuilt. Superwinch has one that is set up in a tool box that is pretty plug & play. Any winch with enough capacity can typically be made to work though depending on how you secure it to the trailer so lots of good options out there. Would recommend a synthetic rope in place of the steel cable. Personally would look for a minimum of 4k lbs but what you are needing to cover is the rolling resistance.

A mount using a trailer receiver can be fabbed up pretty easily and then be a very quick hook up if you are not wanting it to be permanently mounted.

You can also use a come along if not wanting to go all out on a winch. Not as much fun but can be a workable solution.
Much appreciated!
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #6
admranger
Curmudgeon
admranger's Avatar
United_States
1286
Rep
2,795
Posts

Drives: 19 X3M40i, 18 330 x-drive GT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: LV, NV and Santa Fe, NM

iTrader: (0)

I would think you could get a winch rigged to the front d-rings. As long as you're not dragging the car, that should do it.

RRT is fantastic. Julie Wolf had them set up her IP car and she then proceeded to win on tracks she’d never been to before. She’s good, but having them set things up surely helped a bit.
__________________

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster
'18 330i xDrive GT Mineral White/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #7
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I would think you could get a winch rigged to the front d-rings. As long as you're not dragging the car, that should do it.

RRT is fantastic. Julie Wolf had them set up her IP car and she then proceeded to win on tracks shed never been to before. Shes good, but having them set things up surely helped a bit.
Using the D-rings is exactly how we got the car into the trailer. Thankfully my driving coach had an extra cable which we were able to run through the d-rings and pull the car into the trailer. I'm thinking of something more permanent as a setup. I've got lower cabinets so thinking I can mount something on the floor inside those cabinets.

After RRT fixed my exhaust issue from last year they corner balanced me and I was amazed at how much better the car felt after that. They'll be getting my money from now on.
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #8
admranger
Curmudgeon
admranger's Avatar
United_States
1286
Rep
2,795
Posts

Drives: 19 X3M40i, 18 330 x-drive GT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: LV, NV and Santa Fe, NM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Using the D-rings is exactly how we got the car into the trailer. Thankfully my driving coach had an extra cable which we were able to run through the d-rings and pull the car into the trailer. I'm thinking of something more permanent as a setup. I've got lower cabinets so thinking I can mount something on the floor inside those cabinets.

After RRT fixed my exhaust issue from last year they corner balanced me and I was amazed at how much better the car felt after that. They'll be getting my money from now on.
When all else fails use your ratchet straps to pull the car forward, chock wheels, move to next set of d-rings, rinse and repeat.

Im sure a trailer service center could mount a winch for you. Probably wire it so you can use the car as shore power as well.
__________________

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster
'18 330i xDrive GT Mineral White/Black
Appreciate 2
SonnyJack197.00
SYT_Shadow5288.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST