BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #23
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
I have a sin to confess.....

I test drove an orange and black 997 GT3RS last Saturday and I swear the sensations are still tingling in my fingertips!! (before anyone makes a wise crack - I am talking about the feedback I had from driving the car - the feeling from the steering wheel etc).

It had 10k miles on the clock. Spec was fully loaded including ceramic brakes. I was out in for about 20 minutes (way, way too little time!!). I drove on fast dual carriageway and then an excellent twisty road.

The first thing that struck me was how low the car was. Second how fantastically noisy it was in the car. Third how the lightweight seats positioned you - which for me would be a problem - but I could change that. Third the heavy clutch. Fourth the fantastic steering wheel. Fifth the feeling from the steering. 6th the fact you feel every bump with sport suspension on. 7th the fact you hear all the stones flicking up under the wheel arches. 8th how the rear digs in when going for it. 9th how frigggin fast it is. 10th how the world seems to stop and stare. 11th how it is the closest thing I have come to a pure driving experience in terms of being involved with the car and the feed back you receive. 12th how the gear change is at first weird but once you get used to it, you can really get into a groove. 13th I want one!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #24
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198r View Post
I have a sin to confess.....

I test drove an orange and black 997 GT3RS last Saturday and I swear the sensations are still tingling in my fingertips!! (before anyone makes a wise crack - I am talking about the feedback I had from driving the car - the feeling from the steering wheel etc).

It had 10k miles on the clock. Spec was fully loaded including ceramic brakes. I was out in for about 20 minutes (way, way too little time!!). I drove on fast dual carriageway and then an excellent twisty road.

The first thing that struck me was how low the car was. Second how fantastically noisy it was in the car. Third how the lightweight seats positioned you - which for me would be a problem - but I could change that. Third the heavy clutch. Fourth the fantastic steering wheel. Fifth the feeling from the steering. 6th the fact you feel every bump with sport suspension on. 7th the fact you hear all the stones flicking up under the wheel arches. 8th how the rear digs in when going for it. 9th how frigggin fast it is. 10th how the world seems to stop and stare. 11th how it is the closest thing I have come to a pure driving experience in terms of being involved with the car and the feed back you receive. 12th how the gear change is at first weird but once you get used to it, you can really get into a groove. 13th I want one!

Cheers
The 911 is an experience and you've been bitten by the GT3 bug. You are hot wired to the driving mechanism of this wonderful car, and suddenly you are aware what you do behind the wheel delicately affects the car's balance and the way it behaves. If you have the skills to push it, it's pure heaven... welcome to the club
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
GT3 RS, Orange with black wheels, no question.

This car is the real, no compromise, deal. If you're going to spend $107,500k base for the GT3, what's another $18k?

Besides, the RS will retain an even better residual. Some of the added cost is valuable. You get PCCB's and a factory roll cage, etc...
THE US SPEC GT3 RS DOES NOT INCLUDE PCCB'S THEY ARE A $9K option just like the GT3

the US GT3 RS does not offer a factory roll cage either, that's a UK option (or other places but not the US).

Mostly the RS offers a single mass flywheel, an adjustable suspension, slightly wider body (turbo body) and plastic rear window and better wing IMO.

Go check it out, I thought the RS has the ceramic brakes but no just as an option, the GT2 does give you included ceramic brakes that's the only Porsche that comes standard with them.

I would pick the RS anyway just b/c it's more rare, no sunroof (My god why does the GT3 have to come with a sunroof?) and IMO the looks, color, and wing are key maybe a bit over the top but I'd want to stand out a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #26
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
The 911 is an experience and you've been bitten by the GT3 bug. You are hot wired to the driving mechanism of this wonderful car, and suddenly you are aware what you do behind the wheel delicately affects the car's balance and the way it behaves. If you have the skills to push it, it's pure heaven... welcome to the club
Thank you very much - I have written my letter of intent to my porsche dealer for the next generation. Only 3 years to wait....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #27
335destroyer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: black 335i

i'd take the RS in a heartbeat
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #28
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Gt3 for starter and GT3 RS for the rich and insane
      04-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #29
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
mmmmmmmmmm, ok. If you find an RS for 126K I will buy it! LOL. They are still marked up about 50K.....

the 7 GT3 is sort of a joke. It has a sunroof, stability control, blah blah blah. ).
The 997 GT3 has traction control, not stability control.

and yes, good luck finding a GT3 RS in the US for anywhere near sticker price.....
      04-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #30
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

the local P-dealer here wanted $200+ for the RS