BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #67
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
It's completely relevant why would anyone 3 years ago pay 40k for an 07 with 10k miles when they could buy a brand new 08 for $40k. When you drive down the value of new cars you also directly affect the value of used cars.
How many cars were sold at that price, and consequently, what was the overall effect of that particular situation on the depreciation of Z4Ms in general? You can't answer that question without the data.

I can point to some people getting incredible deals on E92 M3s, calculate depreciation based on their numbers, and claim the E92 M3 was rather resilient as well, and put it on a similar depreciation curve as the Z4M.

The only way you can arrive at any kind of sound conclusion about true depreciation is if you have the actual new sale price data for all cars sold for the different models under comparison. If you do have the data, I'd be interested in seeing it.
      02-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #68
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I am not impressed with the stock suspension at all. Nervous and floating on the track
Dinan springs are all you need to make the suspension perfect on this car. And they're only $280. Sure, you could get coilovers for a few grand but honestly, springs are all you need.

As for the M3/Z4M responses...
Leases are cheaper than BMW Select and I can't afford a lease on a new BMW and still pay for the M Coupe.

The M Coupe does work as a daily driver when your job is down the street, but not when its 40 miles away down I66 and I495. People from NoVA know what I mean. If I'm going to be spending most of my money on a car that sits in the garage until track day, I might as well get an Ariel Atom. Too bad you have to pay for those cars in cash...

So if I'm not going to do cheap daily car and expensive track/weekend car, then I should get one car that can do both. And as I understand it, there's nothing better at doing both than the M3. Right?

I don't think the F30 M3 will come out until fall 2014 so if I get a 3 year lease on the M3 now, it should be over just before then.

Also, if during these 3 years I come into some extra money, which is always the plan, I'll get my first love, a 1995 M3, and make that the track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #69
A_FIVE-O
Poor Man's M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Trade both and get an M3. If you come up with some extra cash, then keep the Z4M as a collector car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #70
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Dinan springs are all you need to make the suspension perfect on this car. And they're only $280. Sure, you could get coilovers for a few grand but honestly, springs are all you need.
I have a hard time believing installing springs without messing with the dampers or other stuff will change much for this car on the track.

I drive this car in and out daily, which has the worst road conditions as a metropolitan area in the US that I've seen--especially this time of year--and it is just fine as a DD, including long trips, but that is subjective as it depends on the comfort level one seeks.

Last edited by lucid; 04-09-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #71
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

The mz4 is more than fine at the track, like all bmws it needs some additional negative camber and a proper track alignment.

Outside of that if it's exhibiting bad handling traits... well sorry... but it's your driving style.
scrammer421.50
      02-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #72
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
The mz4 is more than fine at the track, like all bmws it needs some additional negative camber and a proper track alignment.

Outside of that if it's exhibiting bad handling traits... well sorry... but it's your driving style.
As I said, my assessment is comparative--pertinent to this thread. The E9X M3 is much better setup for the track than the Z4M out of the box. More balanced, planted, predictable with less roll and dive. It is a better engineered car in the handling department, which is not surprising. What do you know about my driving style anyway?
      02-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #73
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I came real close to getting a Z4MC but it was sold before I could get out to it. The Z4MC is fun to drive and I could see it as a DD if you don't need the back seats. It is probably the nicest looking BMW in decades too. But, the E9x M3 is better plus you get back seats.

Cheers.
      01-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #74
rueyme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: red z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
I've had a Z4MC and it is a great car. The styling is the best along with the E63 5 Series IMO. However, I now have an E90 M3 and it is a vastly superior car in every other aspects but styling. Get a NA V8 M3 before they are gone.

I don't care if the Z4MC are rare they won't pick up any value IMO.
Some of the lower edition z4mc are listing more than the sticker price when it was first sold. Give it a few years this trend will keep going up
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:07 PM   #75
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyme View Post
Some of the lower edition z4mc are listing more than the sticker price when it was first sold. Give it a few years this trend will keep going up
Eight year revival!
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1457.50
6ixSpd6011.50
      01-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #76
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Eight year revival!
Ahhh 2011. Flashback time!

I was driving a WRX then and was probably $6k deep in mods at that point. Spent about $10k on that car and sold it within 2 years for my E90 M3. I sure don't miss that subie.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      02-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #77
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

The OP would be so pissed he let go of that 1M.
Appreciate 2
Transfer5250.00
MrGatsby348.00
      02-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #78
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciprem View Post
The OP would be so pissed he let go of that 1M.
Absolutely, I’m looking for a 1M right now and there’s no such thing as getting a good price on one. For one if you want a good one it’s pay the selling price and EAG has three of them between $69-75k.

There was a time when I thought EAG was overpriced but their service is top quality and so are all the vehicles in their fleet.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #79
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I sold z4mc, got m3 when i got married.
I love my m3 and I still dd it but I wish I didnt sell the z4m.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      02-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #80
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rueyme View Post
Unless, of course, we’re in a bubble.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #81
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Absolutely, I’m looking for a 1M right now and there’s no such thing as getting a good price on one. For one if you want a good one it’s pay the selling price and EAG has three of them between $69-75k.
A local highline/exotic dealer had an orange 1M for sale last December for just a bit over $55k. This dealer (Crown Group) could write a check for EAG's entire operation and not think twice about it. I stopped by to see the 1M for my wife but the car had already sold. The salesman said he had another customer with an identical car willing to sell at the same price. The 1M is amazing, but they're out there. You just need the cash on hand to close and you'll find the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
There was a time when I thought EAG was overpriced but their service is top quality and so are all the vehicles in their fleet.
EAG is an overpriced hype machine. Good on them for keeping values high on our favorite brand, but lets not give them more accolades than necessary. Its not like they're restoring these cars and passing them on for cost plus profit. They're cornering the market on vehicles that other people have taken good care of, cars that people in many cases are privately listing and willing to sell to people for quite a bit less, and then marking them up drastically after usually nothing more than a deep detail.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #82
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
A local highline/exotic dealer had an orange 1M for sale last December for just a bit over $55k. This dealer (Crown Group) could write a check for EAG's entire operation and not think twice about it. I stopped by to see the 1M for my wife but the car had already sold. The salesman said he had another customer with an identical car willing to sell at the same price. The 1M is amazing, but they're out there. You just need the cash on hand to close and you'll find the car.

EAG is an overpriced hype machine. Good on them for keeping values high on our favorite brand, but lets not give them more accolades than necessary. Its not like they're restoring these cars and passing them on for cost plus profit. They're cornering the market on vehicles that other people have taken good care of, cars that people in many cases are privately listing and willing to sell to people for quite a bit less, and then marking them up drastically after usually nothing more than a deep detail.

You're so completely wrong on EAG. Have you done business with them or bought/sold a vehicle from them? If not, don't spread false information.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #83
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
You're so completely wrong on EAG. Have you done business with them or bought/sold a vehicle from them? If not, don't spread false information.
So... I should buy a car from them to confirm my post? Thats not logical.

If you can refute what I said then do so. You can't. Their MO is widely known here and on the other forums.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #84
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
So... I should buy a car from them to confirm my post? Thats not logical.

If you can refute what I said then do so. You can't. Their MO is widely known here and on the other forums.

Since you know everything about EAG, but yet have dealt with them, then having a conversation with the owner would be a start. You offer opinion then, not fact. You're incredible confident about a company you know nothing about based on other people's opinions. You're obviously young and ignorant. That's fine.

Their model is to source the top 1% of M cars in the country where owners have taken very strict care of their vehicles. They don't take in cars without the proper paperwork to prove maintenance, lack of accidents, etc. Then, in almost all cases, they restore the car back to near factory fixing and replacing things that the other owners didn't do. Again, there is paperwork to back it up. The owner of EAG is the most knowledgeable and passionate M car aficionado that you could talk to. They've sold over 500 e39 M5's alone in one year. They know what they're doing. It's the reason they keep having repeat customers and take back many of the same cars that they've reconditioned before. Find me another dealership that does that?

Not everyone wants to pay the prices they charge because they think it's too expensive. I did too. Until you actually go see their facility, understand the work they do, and then the customer experience you have when you buy a vehicle from them. There are multiple layers of people ensuring that everything is perfect for the customer. They don't sign off on a car until it's up to their standards. Again, you will not find this level from any used car dealership hence the premium price.

I've yet to find anyone who has done business with them not agree with my assessments. But, continue to believe what you read on internet forums from people who have never done business with them.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #85
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Since you know everything about EAG, but yet have dealt with them, then having a conversation with the owner would be a start. You offer opinion then, not fact. You're incredible confident about a company you know nothing about based on other people's opinions. You're obviously young and ignorant. That's fine.

Their model is to source the top 1% of M cars in the country where owners have taken very strict care of their vehicles. They don't take in cars without the proper paperwork to prove maintenance, lack of accidents, etc. Then, in almost all cases, they restore the car back to near factory fixing and replacing things that the other owners didn't do. Again, there is paperwork to back it up. The owner of EAG is the most knowledgeable and passionate M car aficionado that you could talk to. They've sold over 500 e39 M5's alone in one year. They know what they're doing. It's the reason they keep having repeat customers and take back many of the same cars that they've reconditioned before. Find me another dealership that does that?

Not everyone wants to pay the prices they charge because they think it's too expensive. I did too. Until you actually go see their facility, understand the work they do, and then the customer experience you have when you buy a vehicle from them. There are multiple layers of people ensuring that everything is perfect for the customer. They don't sign off on a car until it's up to their standards. Again, you will not find this level from any used car dealership hence the premium price.

I've yet to find anyone who has done business with them not agree with my assessments. But, continue to believe what you read on internet forums from people who have never done business with them.
I completely agree.

On their E46s they do vanos and subframe work. It is very impressive.

I am not in the market for that currently but the one person I know who has bought one from them was very, very pleased with the experience.
Appreciate 1
Haywood3100.50
      02-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #86
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
All I said is that they are buying up cars that other people took care of and marking them up, usually after doing only a deep detail. And then you said...

Quote:
Their model is to source the top 1% of M cars in the country where owners have taken very strict care of their vehicles. They don't take in cars without the proper paperwork to prove maintenance, lack of accidents, etc. Then, in almost all cases, they restore the car back to near factory fixing and replacing things that the other owners didn't do. Again, there is paperwork to back it up.
So, what is it thats different between what I said and what you said? Phrasing, thats about it.

Quote:
The owner of EAG is the most knowledgeable and passionate M car aficionado that you could talk to.
Thats wonderful! Really! A passionate person selling M cars, who'd have thought that was possible?

Quote:
They've sold over 500 e39 M5's alone in one year.
Do you sit there and count the cars that go through? Many medium sized dealerships have trouble making their 500 club numbers across their entire model range. You're saying one 2nd tier dealer pumped 500 copies of a single model from a single series, in just 12 months? I think perhaps you need to take a step back and think about that. Or maybe not believe everything you're told by them.

Quote:
They know what they're doing. It's the reason they keep having repeat customers and take back many of the same cars that they've reconditioned before. Find me another dealership that does that?
Only just about any reputable high line dealer. I can introduce you to at least three in my tiny little town that have a very similar model, just at lower prices. One of them deals almost exclusively with celebrities and executives, and has an incredible range of cars available. I looked at a low mile E93 M with a SC kit, brakes, exhaust, and flawless condition for $45k there. The same car would have gone for at least $10k more at EAG, and for what? Because the "owner is an enthusiast"? He makes you feel special?

Quote:
Again, I can find highline dealers in every state that take their customers seriously, and work on cars to at least EAG's standards, yet do it for a cheaper price. I think you have very little experience with the auto market.

Quote:
I have no doubt that people who buy from EAG are being treated well - for the money they pay they damn well better be. But the reaction you're talking about is called "confirmation bias". Most people don't look critically at their decisions, and where emotions run wild - such as buying highline or exotic cars - they will tell themselves afterwards that they had a phenomenal experience, if only to justify the money they spent. I've been there myself but I'm more than a bit wiser now.

I just bought an outstanding car, clean inside and out, perfectly maintained, and with thousands of dollars in very nice mods. I can't imagine paying $55k-60k for my car, which is what it would have gone for if I hadn't beaten EAG to it, most likely by mere hours. Of course I didn't feel as special buying my car, since I got it from a lowly BMW dealership that wins every award available for many years running and I obviously didn't pay enough to make sure I was treated well. I guess I'll just have to live with my poor decision and the close to $20k I saved by keeping my car away from EAG.

EAG wasn't a blip on my radar until the fall of 2017. I had started looking for an E92 seriously that summer, and round about September I saw quite a few LRP cars show up in listings across the country. At least half a dozen. The orange was a bit far out for me but my wife loved it and I thought I'd make some offers when things were right. I was surprised when they all started disappering after some fairly lengthy listing time. I was even more surprised when those same cars started showing up at EAG with incredibly healthy premiums attached. Some of those cars were pulled from CPO first-tier dealers so they were as perfect as you could hope for right off the bat. (But I guess now they had that value-add: "you felt special buying from EAG".)

Then I remembered what people had said about EAG when they started up. At the time the E36 was no longer showing up at dealers due to age, so EAG was shopping the forums and buying up well-maintained low mile cars and doing exactly what I said: deep detail, jack up the price. On BFC and M3Forums we watched it all happen, we all knew the prior owners of those cars, and we got the stories of how EAG outbid everyone else.

We laughed them off because we didn't think the market was going to inflate that much for the E36, but later on we found that EAG had gotten basically ALL the low mile cars. Then they did it with the E46. Now they're working on the E9X. They're big enough that they don't shop the forums anymore, people now come to them.

Like I said before, good on EAG for propping up the values of our cars. Its just a shame that they're sucking up cars that we all used to buy and sell amongst ourselves, for reasonable price. Their business model works for them, but I don't care for them one bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #87
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you want to a pay a premium for someone to have found a very nice example of a car for you and checked it out, then use a “high end” used car dealer like EAG. Definitely not for me, but there are rich and or desperate or impatient people who either lack the time or knowledge to find a good car.
Appreciate 1
Freiheit492.00
      02-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #88
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Hi, OP here.

Yeah, I wish I got the 1M. I also wish I kept my Z4M. I also want my e92 back.

My Z4M actually came back up for sale recently for around what I sold it for :/ I didn't have the funds to buy it outright at the time because I'm restoring my 95 e36 M3 (Daytona Violet). I also contact the guy I sold my e92 to about once every other year to remind him that if he ever sells it, to contact me first.

I never owned a 1M but I am on the list for the M2 CSL coming out in 2020 which will be the first BMW that I plan to buy new and keep forever. I just need to focus on making lots of money between now and then because I have a feeling I'm going to need it.
Appreciate 1