BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
fakelouiebag
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

M3 NEWB

Hi all! New to the scene and this forum but joined recently because I am in the market for an e90 m3. From your experience and expertise, what is the average life span of the S65 motor? From my research so far, I am noticing a lot of rod bearing issues. Anything else I should be looking out for?

Also looking at most of the listings within my budget, most of the vehicles are close to if not over 100k miles. I guess what I'm asking is how reliable will this car be after 120k+ miles if it is maintained fairly well and how long long do you think I would be able to drive the car? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

welcome to the forum

There are a couple threads on the topic of buying a used M3. I suggest you read up on them.

Rod bearings are the key weakness of this generation M3. I suggest you budget $3k to get them replaced.

Once that is out of the way this is one of the most reliable sporty cars you will find. Research enough about any engine and you'll find there is no such thing as a sporty car without issues.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 300k out of the engine.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
fakelouiebag
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
welcome to the forum

There are a couple threads on the topic of buying a used M3. I suggest you read up on them.

Rod bearings are the key weakness of this generation M3. I suggest you budget $3k to get them replaced.

Once that is out of the way this is one of the most reliable sporty cars you will find. Research enough about any engine and you'll find there is no such thing as a sporty car without issues.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 300k out of the engine.
awesome - thank you for this info and the warm welcome! i will definitely look into those threads
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakelouiebag View Post
Hi all! New to the scene and this forum but joined recently because I am in the market for an e90 m3. From your experience and expertise, what is the average life span of the S65 motor? From my research so far, I am noticing a lot of rod bearing issues. Anything else I should be looking out for?

Also looking at most of the listings within my budget, most of the vehicles are close to if not over 100k miles. I guess what I'm asking is how reliable will this car be after 120k+ miles if it is maintained fairly well and how long long do you think I would be able to drive the car? Thanks in advance!
First and most important thing you should look for when buying your M especially with close to 100k+ miles is make sure the owner has documentation of service records.

I know this was certainly a deal breaker for me as it should be for most people jumping into these cars. Do not just take people's word for it. Many of us on the forums keep receipts and documents of services in a binder nice and neat. Shows they actually gave a hoot about the car while it was under their ownership.

Assuming it was well taken care of and services were done without cutting corners these motors should last well into 200k+
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
fakelouiebag
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
First and most important thing you should look for when buying your M especially with close to 100k+ miles is make sure the owner has documentation of service records.

I know this was certainly a deal breaker for me as it should be for most people jumping into these cars. Do not just take people's word for it. Many of us on the forums keep receipts and documents of services in a binder nice and neat. Shows they actually gave a hoot about the car while it was under their ownership.

Assuming it was well taken care of and services were done without cutting corners these motors should last well into 200k+
Great advice. Yeah I will be sure to look for vehicles with the most detailed service records. I'm not in a hurry so I'm going to just be patient until the right one comes along.

As I am still in the early stages of research, I have not reached out to my insurance agent yet. Do you have any rough estimates on what the damage would be? I know it varies from person to person, age, location, etc but just want to get a rough ball park range.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Quote:

Great advice. Yeah I will be sure to look for vehicles with the most detailed service records. I'm not in a hurry so I'm going to just be patient until the right one comes along.

As I am still in the early stages of research, I have not reached out to my insurance agent yet. Do you have any rough estimates on what the damage would be? I know it varies from person to person, age, location, etc but just want to get a rough ball park range.
You're looking at 1k-2k annual premium, like you said some factors will be looked over as you mentioned. Driving records tend to have a heavy weight on determining your premiums as well...

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
180,000 and still going strong. I had my alternator fail about 6,000 ago but nothing else. I would assume rod bearings, battery and you're good but I'd do fluids as well if it were me. Then you'd be a good starting point moving forward.
      04-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're looking at 1k-2k annual premium, like you said some factors will be looked over as you mentioned. Driving records tend to have a heavy weight on determining your premiums as well...

Hope that helps
+$1-2K beautiful annual premium on Gas
Appreciate 2
Siajoon1856.50
ItsGary1457.50
      04-19-2019, 01:41 AM   #9
commedeschatons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, '03 Jetta Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post