BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
wachupita
I <3 BMW
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: LCI E90

Sent GPS via mail and USPS stole it. What are my options?

Hi. I recently sent a GPS to a seller on this forums. I shipped it via usps but when it arrived at the buyer, the box was partially opened and there was no unit inside.

He sent me photos of the damaged box and the only item that made it was the hardwire cables.

I didn't insure it just the $50 that comes with priority mail.

Is there any way I can reclaim it to USPS. Do I have to return the money to the seller?

He payed via paypal and opened a dispute which paypal withdrew the money from my account.

What are my options? First time this ever happens to me with USPS that they steal the insides of the package. (btw never shiping with them again!).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachupita
Hi. I recently sent a GPS to a seller on this forums. I shipped it via usps but when it arrived at the buyer, the box was partially opened and there was no unit inside.

He sent me photos of the damaged box and the only item that made it was the hardwire cables.

Is there any way I can reclaim it to USPS. Do I have to return the money to the seller?

He payed via paypal and opened a dispute which paypal withdrew the money from my account.

What are my options? First time this ever happens to me with USPS that they steal the insides of the package. (btw never shiping with them again!).
Sure it was usps who took it....seems shady......
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachupita View Post
He shouldn't have accepted the package if it was damaged. You need to call Paypal and tell them that.

Quote:
Not sure if it would have helped, but insuring is always wise.

Quote:
If you shipped to a confirmed address, they shouldn't have just taken your money out. Again, call them. Tell them he sent you pictures "claiming" it was damaged (I assume he made it look like it was ripped open and nothing was inside). Tell them the onus is on him for accepting a package in this condition.

Quote:
Why? Who do you really think stole it? A USPS driver who would risk losing his job and facing felony charges for opening mail not addressed to him, all over a random package which he has no idea of the contents (and it's not even insured, so why would he have reason to think it's of high value). Or the guy who received it "damaged" and didn't say anything to the driver, and then immediately filed a dispute and took your money back instead of trying to work something out?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Since you didn't insure it and there was no signature required, the postman probably left it at the persons doorstep or in the mailbox. He could/would therefore claim that the box arrived in the condition it did, as he had no reason to "refuse" the delivery.

You should have insured it, and opted for signature confirmation (and extra $2.70). That way, you would have been covered.

As it is, it seems you're screwed, sorry.
      09-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Assuming the transaction was under $250 (which if it wasn't, you really should have gotten it insured), Paypal should have only put a hold on the funds and allowed you to dispute it by simply providing Proof of Delivery: status is delivered, date of shipment, recipient address matches address on transaction.

If it was more than $250 and you didn't require signature on delivery...yea, you're pretty much screwed.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

At the end of the day the only you will get is $50 from priority mail insurance. PayPal enables fraud and will always side with the buyer, next time insure fully it's your only defense.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

What evidence do you have that a USPS employee stole it? You will need a lot more than an educated guess to prove that.
Appreciate 0