BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_the_Cat View Post
The thing with the Japanese cars is they always set the target at the European's. Instead I think they should look into a different segment they do better. Such as a 0.6 litre sushi van that flashes lots of neon bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
Yep, because the suck at performance cars...like the GT-R, Supra, LXF, NSX, the Z series cars, IS-F, WRX, Evo, etc...
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
agentm
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, X3

LOL I kick the shit out of one not too long ago. He pick the wrong e46 M3 S/C.
2004 M3 Silver Gray / CSL Header and Cats / RE El Diablo Exhaust / Hotchkis Swaybar / KW v2 / RD Sport Rims 19' / Falken FK-452 tires / Reinforcement Kit / Smoke Corner / 50% Tinted / Painted Shadow Grille / Umnitza Halo light / Hanman Lip / CF Diffusor / Autosolution SSK 30% / Aluminum Foot Pedals / AA Shift knob / AA Sport Fan Clutch / 3.91 Diff
Active Auto HKS Gen 6 Level 1.5 S/C
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

The new STi is slowwww. My friend had a cobb stage 2 and it didn't feel fast at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony135 View Post
The new STi is slowwww. My friend had a cobb stage 2 and it didn't feel fast at all.
It's all relative, but that is odd, the STI should feel quick, lots of TQ, decent gearing (aside from 1st) and Stage 2 is ~300whp+. Depending on dynos, (Mustang vs. Others)

Are you sure he isn't stage 1, or driving a wrx? Those cars can trap low 13s if not high 12s, I can't imagine how that would feel "slowww"...

Was he dealing with fuel issues? Heat soak? (Ie hot, humid air will kill turbo cars) maybe on 91 octane, timing is being pulled...

a little shocking that an STI felt slow, ...wait wait wait, were you guys doing pulls from a roll? from 80mph, it is very slow but 0-80 it's rather quick...but gearing, awd make you feel like you are driving in sand at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #27
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
It's all relative, but that is odd, the STI should feel quick, lots of TQ, decent gearing (aside from 1st) and Stage 2 is ~300whp+. Depending on dynos, (Mustang vs. Others)

Are you sure he isn't stage 1, or driving a wrx? Those cars can trap low 13s if not high 12s, I can't imagine how that would feel "slowww"...

Was he dealing with fuel issues? Heat soak? (Ie hot, humid air will kill turbo cars) maybe on 91 octane, timing is being pulled...

a little shocking that an STI felt slow, ...wait wait wait, were you guys doing pulls from a roll? from 80mph, it is very slow but 0-80 it's rather quick...but gearing, awd make you feel like you are driving in sand at higher speeds.
We did some pulls against my 135i and that walked it. That wasn't surprising though. It just didn't feel very torquey. He must have had problems though because my other friend has an 09 WRX with tune, downpipe, and exhaust, and it feels faster than my other friends Stage 2 2011 STi.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
We did some pulls against my 135i and that walked it. That wasn't surprising though. It just didn't feel very torquey. He must have had problems though because my other friend has an 09 WRX with tune, downpipe, and exhaust, and it feels faster than my other friends Stage 2 2011 STi.
I'm not surprised, the STI is a different type of fast, it's more quick. The core of the design it's for rally speeds, there is actually a solid rally following for the STI. So most of the grunt and power is inside the 0-70-80 range, most advantages at launch against a 135, you can really see so in the STI's trap speeds. I'm not surprised at all, most of the BMWs seem to be faster towards higher speeds...135i is a fast car, no doubt lightweight too.

I wonder if they started detuning the STIs due to the piston ring issues and what not...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #29
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Interesting. Yeah, I'm not going to act like I know too much about STi's but this definitely felt slower than I was expecting. Then again, perhaps it's because my friend can't drive haha!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #30
Nine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Yeah, I'm not going to act like I know too much about STi's but this definitely felt slower than I was expecting. Then again, perhaps it's because my friend can't drive haha!
No worries, stock turbo takes a dive around 6500rpm, Srong pulls are 3500,6500, lots of shifting too. The simple tunning of the 135i and 335i far surpasses the stage 1 STIs, from the factory they have a crummy mapping, luckily cobb fixed.

Cobb is great for the community, not to default too much from this thread but at the GT-R launch they had a white GT-R and they went hard to work, in the case of the STI, (vs cars like EVO and GT-R) there is limited success with standard turbo back modifications, but an STI with exhaust sounds really good.

Did your buddy have a BOV? Do you recall if it was open to atmosphere, or if it was the stock bypass valve? If you hear a loud BOV, it could be the source of the issue, most semi stock STIs are sensitive to the addition of a traditional BOV (designed to blow of when you have a bigger higher PSI turbo) Stock STI turbos are running relatively lower PSIs.

In contrast the 135i and a 335i are tuners dreams, great # results.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #31
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cobb is doing great work. They've yet to do any bad tune from what I know. They're GTR's are flat out ridiculous.

I don't believe my friend had a BOV. I know he had an intake, tune, downpipe, exhaust, and maybe one other random thing. I'll try to find out more and let you know!

And yeah, the N54/N55 engine are a tuners dream. You can buy a $300 piggy back tune and be in business. They're just rockets!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #32
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Quote:
Could be the case.

I've never had any psiton ring issues.. that's about on the same lines as the SMG. You hear more stories about the bad ones than about the good ones.

Issue with STIs is that in order to feel the power it can have... you have to mod it. Stock, it just isn't as impressive as you'd think; it is a 35k car... not a 60k car like the M3.

I had an 09 STI. With all bolts on (about 3k in parts) I was sitting at 300 AWHP and 340 AWTQ (blow-tru FMIC aka no blow-off valve). That thing was a beast... with another 2k in lightweight parts, I was sitting at about 3150 lbs. I had winter wheels (of course) and on gravel it was unstopable. All I needed were some coilovers and an alignment...

I think the issue is... some people forget why the STI was orginally made. It's a good ALL around car. Can you track it? Yes. Can it be made to be an awesome setup for the street? Yes. But it was made for rally and it kicks ass in snow, gravel, wet... anything. The transmission is a beast. The World Rally car didn't even replace it, just changed gearing inside and called it a day. If you break that trans, then you shouldn't be driving one, lol.

When you take the STI where it belongs... nothing can touch it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #33
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

my girl just picked one up today, i only drove it around the block so didnt really get to beat on it.... it didnt feel that fast though, it also didnt feel that firm, but i think im just comparing it to my m3... nice car over all... cant wait to make it quick and beat it when shes not around
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #34
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
my girl just picked one up today, i only drove it around the block so didnt really get to beat on it.... it didnt feel that fast though, it also didnt feel that firm, but i think im just comparing it to my m3... nice car over all... cant wait to make it quick and beat it when shes not around
If you want quick power... do this.

Cobb AP (even the stage one makes a huge difference)
Intake (any, I used AEM when I had mine)
Equal length headers/ Up-pipe (Tomei, cant get better headers for the price)
Down pipe (I used Crawford)
Lightweight crank pulley (i used perrin, its all the same)
3" Custom exhaust (save money and more weight than aftermarket brands)
EBCS (Grimmspeed)

That all right there should put the car somewhere in the ball park of 300 AWHP and 340 AWTQ. Of course depending on your tuner... but that's more or less what you should achieve with a good tuner. Most stock STIs put down around 240-250 WHP/260 TQ.

Then there's the SSK, all the front end bushing that will help the feel of the car. Sways... Whiteline is one of the best out there. Coilovers will transform it.

-----

Or you can go big and get the Slayer kit from Moore Performance. Costs around 4-5k... but you'll be pushing around 330 WHP/ 400 WTQ range. Might need some new pistons and rods, if you want to push safely beyond 400 WHP.

Entrepreneur (Click the about me ): AdamRod.MySiselPro.com
Fitness Challenge: AdamRod.MyLeanLine.com

Last edited by Tarmac_E46_M3; 01-10-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #35
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep

FYI: Stock turbo tends to max out right around 300-310 WHP. The TQ will go for days...

On E85 stock turbo can do up in the 330-340 WHP range. I've seen 350-370 WHP, with E85, on the stock turbo. Just not common at all.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
If you want quick power... do this.

Cobb AP (even the stage one makes a huge difference)
Intake (any, I used AEM when I had mine)
Equal length headers/ Up-pipe (Tomei, cant get better headers for the price)
Down pipe (I used Crawford)
Lightweight crank pulley (i used perrin, its all the same)
3" Custom exhaust (save money and more weight than aftermarket brands)
EBCS (Grimmspeed)

That all right there should put the car somewhere in the ball park of 300 AWHP and 340 AWTQ. Of course depending on your tuner... but that's more or less what you should achieve with a good tuner. Most stock STIs put down around 240-250 WHP/260 TQ.

Then there's the SSK, all the front end bushing that will help the feel of the car. Sways... Whiteline is one of the best out there. Coilovers will transform it.

-----

Or you can go big and get the Slayer kit from Moore Performance. Costs around 4-5k... but you'll be pushing around 330 WHP/ 400 WTQ range. Might need some new pistons and rods, if you want to push safely beyond 400 WHP.
cool thanks for the info, gonna start getting some parts together for it soon
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #37
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
cool thanks for the info, gonna start getting some parts together for it soon
No problem.

One more side note: If you like good response and not worried about huge power... I'd stick with the stock turbo, port and polish that and the intake manifold and if you have it available... run E85. It will be a beast.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
No problem.

One more side note: If you like good response and not worried about huge power... I'd stick with the stock turbo, port and polish that and the intake manifold and if you have it available... run E85. It will be a beast.
There aren't to many places around me that have e85, ran it on my 20th and it was a hassle
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep

well either way, stock turbo can be very fun when done right.

Appreciate 0