BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

03-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Garage Floor Help

Guys, I am looking for some recommendations on garage floor finishing products.

Any recommendations? Please post some pics if you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

don't have it painted, mine started to peel a week after it was done and now that it has been three years it is almost all gone.

i want to try and do this when i get time... http://www.premiergarage.com/flooring.html
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Why not try those snap-on tiles?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

you cant go wrong with RaceDeck floor tiles

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...rt-finish.html
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Mech-Mart
Rep
Drives: 320i 2012

I love my Racedeck tiles. They were pricey but stay looking good.

I tried doing a really good floor job with epoxy but it started flaking off almost right away. Then I went with the Racedeck tiles and never had to look at the concrete again. I park in the garage every day of the year and in winter they get covered with slush and salt. In spring I rinse with a hose while scrubbing with a street broom and they look almost like new again.

When I sold my previous house, the buyer couldn't afford the tiles as a $1000 extra, so I popped them up and took them with me. My new garage needed twice as many tiles so I ordered more. After 1 year, I couldn't tell which were the 1-year old tiles and which ones I parked on for 6 years.

At this point half of them are about 10 years old and still look great. I think they will last forever. Great investment in the long term, especially if you use the garage a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Epoxy your garage
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I have these tiles on floor, just normal plastic type tiles that have been stuck down. When clean, they look really sharp.

[/URL][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech-Mart View Post
I love my Racedeck tiles. They were pricey but stay looking good.

I tried doing a really good floor job with epoxy but it started flaking off almost right away. Then I went with the Racedeck tiles and never had to look at the concrete again. I park in the garage every day of the year and in winter they get covered with slush and salt. In spring I rinse with a hose while scrubbing with a street broom and they look almost like new again.

When I sold my previous house, the buyer couldn't afford the tiles as a $1000 extra, so I popped them up and took them with me. My new garage needed twice as many tiles so I ordered more. After 1 year, I couldn't tell which were the 1-year old tiles and which ones I parked on for 6 years.

At this point half of them are about 10 years old and still look great. I think they will last forever. Great investment in the long term, especially if you use the garage a lot.
What about spills with these? Are they fluid tight?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Look for your local Sealmasters franchise. I had both of our garages done for a very reasonable price and they turned out great. 20 year guarantee iirc.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Guys, I am looking for some recommendations on garage floor finishing products.

Any recommendations? Please post some pics if you can.
Go to http://www.garagejournal.com/ for a discussion forum with a dizzying array of opinions.

Personally, as a DIY, I recently ordered an acrylic topcoat product - from what I've been able to gather it's not as durable as epoxy but easier to put down, so in the end it might be more durable than epoxy. I've heard stories about even professionally installed epoxy not lasting very long. Plus, I actually like the look of the concrete so a clear acrylic is a bonus for me.

Unfortunately I have no pics because the product showed up only a few days ago and I still have moving boxes in the garage. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done in the next couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Mech-Mart
Rep
Drives: 320i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
What about spills with these? Are they fluid tight?
The seams look closed but they are not water tight. I looked high and low for a solution to that, but in the end settled for the Racedeck tiles.

If you pour water on the floor, most will cross the joints and head for the drain. A small amount will seep under. The tiles stand on about 100 tiny legs and are basically hollowed out underneath to allow some airflow. I haven't had any moisture problems and am no longer concerned about this. Now I'm just glad I don't have to see the concrete.
Appreciate 0