BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #23
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
nice

I own a S2000 so obviously I like high-rev engines. a while ago I tested a Si and Mini S on the same day and the Si won out (didn't buy) but I liked the Si cos it's 8000 rpm rather than the higher TQ in the Mini S turbo.

I did drive the 335i but not yet the M3. But I wonder how you find the M3 when it's lower in the rev range say the M3 is at 2000-3000 RPM. I wonder does the M3 still have enough power? I see the TQ-curve and it does seem like the M3 has good numbers but I just would like to hear about the driving feel of the M3 at lower revs.

Since I drove the 335i I find that has good TQ all over the rev range does the M3 compare in the low TQ department? It seems like they have similar TQ on paper. (but maybe the 335i is under rated some)

I have the S2000 (6 years now) and that's probably like the Elise which is low-TQ when you are under 5000 rpm. It's fine to keep it on the boil higher in the rev range but I wonder with other cars like the C63 or IS-F having the higher TQ would the M3 with lower TQ still be good when not revving the heck out of it.

Hope no one thinks I am trying to compare the M3 to a low-TQ FOUR cylinder engine. But sometimes I say to myself the M3 (4L) is something like two Honda 2L stuck together with twice the power and twice the TQ and high revs. But probably the TQ of the M3 finds it's way down a bit so it's possible to accelerate when you are lower in the revs than you would be in the S2000.

thanks.

I'm gonna chime-in here because I experienced something yesterday that was fairly relevant to what you're asking. I'd just driven 100 miles in my M3 with a friend and dropped him to his parents' place. We had a great drive and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. When we got there he asked me if I'd like to drive his dad's 530d just for kicks.

We went for a spin and I was VERY impressed with the huge and immediate torque very low-down in the rev-band. Of course the car felt big and soft in comparison, but there was absolutely no shortage of torque. We even turned the DSC off and did some tail-out tricks around a couple of corners!

As a parting-shot we launched the car hard once and layed down over 30m of rubber, which shocked me considering the thing is an auto!

Then I got back into my car to head home and my immediate thought was, "Shit! This thing feels slower than that boat!". Granted I had just pulled-out of his gate and so I was at around 1,500 - 2,000 rpm, but the contrast was so marked it made an impact on me. Of course there's no comparing a 3L diesel with a high-revving V8, but it just me realise one thing -- there are cars that FEEL quicker in everyday road conditions than the M3, when in fact they are not. My M3 never feels like it's short of torque when I'm pootling-about in town, but there's no doubt about it, the fun and games begin when the revs rise, and there isn't much opportunity for that in town. By contrast that diesel had GOBS of torque available at tick-over, which made it quite a hoot, even with just a couple hundred meters of road available. But then on a nice open stretch, the 530d would quickly be very boring!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #24
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Great to hear these thoughts from a true enthusiast who has experience behind the wheel of many good cars. This is what counts to me, and I am fortunate to be in a similar position. Thanks for your review.

I can't wait to drive it next week!
      03-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_enzo View Post
Good question. Yes the sport pack is a must so I don't even consider it an option - which leaves the heated seats and the nav. My rationale is if I couldn't get the M3, I would like to have some extra gadgets to play with
LOL, gotcha.

Tell ya what tho - you can get a hot 335i for sub-40k if you don't load it up with crap, and get ED. Yep - a great deal, and for that we got to pick it up in Europe and beat it to submission on the Autobahns. Fun, fun, fun.

But still, as much as I love it, its no M3. I am counting the days to when I can take delivery of an E90 M3. :)
Appreciate 0