BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #11089
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocstraw View Post
The FCP Euro route feels unethical for consumable items but that’s just me.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

how is it unethical when FCP EURO tells us exactly what is covered and how to utilize the lifetime replacement?

if i was trying to exploit a loophole that FCP did not intend, then yes, that's up for debate
but this is FCP's business model and it works for FCP

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      12-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #11090
AC/DC
NooB
Rep
Drives: M

So this came today with 4 people to assemble it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 14
XKxRome0ox1587.50
BayE301341.00
Dpc2u11503.00
DrFerry6728.50
TrueToBMW160.00
Aries326195.00
Ngilbe361618.50
      12-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #11091
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

how is it unethical when FCP EURO tells us exactly what is covered and how to utilize the lifetime replacement?

if i was trying to exploit a loophole that FCP did not intend, then yes, that's up for debate
but this is FCP's business model and it works for FCP
They even post the pictures of items they receive back on Instagram lol.
      12-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #11092
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I too feel kinda whack returning consumables to FCP.

That lift looks great!
Appreciate 1
AC/DC381.50
      12-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #11093
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
This is what you mean:

What I think a few of us are trying to say is it's kind of wrong even if its their policy.

For example, some big store, I think Nordstroms if I remember correctly, would take any clothing you bring to them and give you a full refund. No questions asked.

People would return muddy, ruined, used for two years with no thread left shoes and get a full refund. Is it wrong? No it is their policy, but it does take a type of person to do it.

I mean kudos to them for great marketing, all anyone does on this forum is talking about their weird policy.

While everyone talks about it, saying they want to return oil in a box to them, I think I have only seen one person on the forum mention they did it. Not saying others haven't posted about it, but that is all I have personally came across.

The business model works because 95% of car owners/enthusiasts have this conscious that it isn't right, so they don't do it or the other half the pain of trying to box up used oil isn't worth it to them.

Think about it, if everyone did it, they would be bankrupt. They are banking on you not doing it.
Appreciate 4
ItsGary1457.50
KawBoy154.50
chocstraw495.50
      12-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #11094
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
This is what you mean:

What I think a few of us are trying to say is it's kind of wrong even if its their policy.

For example, some big store, I think Nordstroms if I remember correctly, would take any clothing you bring to them and give you a full refund. No questions asked.

People would return muddy, ruined, used for two years with no thread left shoes and get a full refund. Is it wrong? No it is their policy, but it does take a type of person to do it.

I mean kudos to them for great marketing, all anyone does on this forum is talking about their weird policy.

While everyone talks about it, saying they want to return oil in a box to them, I think I have only seen one person on the forum mention they did it. Not saying others haven't posted about it, but that is all I have personally came across.

The business model works because 95% of car owners/enthusiasts have this conscious that it isn't right, so they don't do it or the other half the pain of trying to box up used oil isn't worth it to them.

Think about it, if everyone did it, they would be bankrupt. They are banking on you not doing it.
There's also this post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzwDz-vg...d=hbptnbaxuask

I'm on my phone otherwise I'd type out a proper response. Which I will later if I remember to do so
      12-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #11095
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

^ That doesn't mean the rest of us don't have a point. That IG post just reiterates their policy. But Grip Addict already explained why it's still somewhat unethical even if they do make it their policy. They're encouraging people to buy/return consumables in order to also sell them other parts for one-stop shopping, and hoping most don't deal with it. But the idea of returning used oil is ridiculous, and anybody getting lifetime oil change kits for a single $150 payment knows they're "taking advantage of it" whether it's a policy or not, just as it would be to return old worn clothes to Nordstrom. Even worse is when people get/return oil from them but buy their other parts elsewhere. It's different for TAs and other items, where their warranty makes perfect sense. But consumables? Eh.

Last edited by wyatth; 12-18-2019 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 4
MaximusB1393.50
//steve\\1074.00
chocstraw495.50
      12-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #11096
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
^ That doesn't mean the rest of us don't have a point. That IG post just reiterates their policy. But Grip Addict already explained why it's still somewhat unethical even if they do make it their policy. They're encouraging people to buy/return consumables in order to also sell them other parts for one-stop shopping, and hoping most don't deal with it. But the idea of returning used oil is ridiculous, and anybody getting lifetime oil change kits for a single $150 payment knows they're "taking advantage of it" whether it's a policy or not, just as it would be to return old worn clothes to Nordstrom. Even worse is when people get/return oil from them but buy their other parts elsewhere. It's different for TAs and other items, where their warranty makes perfect sense. But consumables? Eh.
I did buy oil from them, however I didn't return it. Too much hassle to do so. The only thing I can see worth keeping from the oil change kit is the drain plugs which are recommended to change every oil change.

I never disagreed with the point that oil is stupid to return. I think its pretty dumb also. However like you said items like TAs and such I wouldn't mind returning. I've returned my spark plugs 2 times now, that's cause I was trying to figure out my misfire issue.
      12-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #11097
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
I too feel kinda whack returning consumables to FCP.

That lift looks great!
The model is smart if you look at the fine print. Lets say you buy brake pads and rotors for example. An everyday driver will have them on the car for at least 4 years. The fine print says you must be the original purchaser of the parts. So if your replacing brakes then I'm guessing the car has at least 60k miles on it or more. New brakes will take you to 120k plus. Factor all that together and the fact that most people only keep a car for 4 - 5 years they rarely will have to warranty the item. But its a great catch to buyers.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      12-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #11098
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

New rubber for new wheels.. went with some direzza's as they're for the street and they were cheap.. like the budgie.. nothing like the smell of new rubber in your house to offset the awful smell of Christmas tree's and cinnomon'd poinsettia's. Baaaahh humbug .. breathe it in boyzzz... if only FCP sold ps4s
Attached Images

12-19-2019, 02:04 AM   #11099
CarbonBlack88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Getting to the fun stuff...

Got rid of CF mirror caps and splitters. Back to OEM

Name:  Mirrors_resized.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  279.7 KB

Matte black side markers and badge, courtesy of IND

Name:  Markers_resized.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  150.3 KB
Name:  Badge_resized.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  69.6 KB

Mineral white reflectors, also from IND. MW is a tough match but they look ok

Name:  Reflectors_resized.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  217.9 KB

Also removed the BMW Performance rear spoiler. I bought a mineral white OEM spoiler that I'll probably put on there, but right now I'm kind of digging the spoiler-delete look

Name:  Spoiler Delete_resized.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  208.8 KB

Before shots:

Name:  Before1_resized.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  86.5 KB
Name:  Before2_resized.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  120.0 KB
Name:  Before3_resized.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  89.1 KB

As she sits, today

Name:  M3_resized.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  293.2 KB
Appreciate 6
//steve\\1074.00
AC/DC381.50
cae93257.00
XKxRome0ox1587.50
scrammer421.50
      12-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #11100
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

^I think it looks much cleaner without all the carbon!
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #11101
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Ceramic coated my wheels with Adams.. I'm sick of brake dust, hopefully it helps at least with washing the barrels when the wheels are on the car..

Then I got carried away ceramic coating some other shit around the house..

It should help a lot. Coatings aren't magic so don't expect them to be that. That's a big thing people seem to get wrong and the marketing tends to lean towards the side of making the products seem like magic. It will help a lot and I find that I don't even need to use any kind of special wheel cleaner either.

That said, the wheels, paint, etc will still take some effort to clean if you let it build up enough. You can use a pressure washer to blast off most of it if you're washing frequently but if you let it build up it won't just come off that easy without some agitation.

I've always said if I was going to coat one thing only on a car it would be wheels. They are the one thing I want to spend the least amount of time having to clean.
Appreciate 1
shimmy232350.00
      12-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #11102
Lito335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonBlack88 View Post
Getting to the fun stuff...

Got rid of CF mirror caps and splitters. Back to OEM

Attachment 2201936

Matte black side markers and badge, courtesy of IND

Attachment 2201938
Attachment 2201937

Mineral white reflectors, also from IND. MW is a tough match but they look ok

Attachment 2201956

Also removed the BMW Performance rear spoiler. I bought a mineral white OEM spoiler that I'll probably put on there, but right now I'm kind of digging the spoiler-delete look

Attachment 2201941

Before shots:

Attachment 2201948
Attachment 2201949
Attachment 2201950

As she sits, today

Attachment 2201951
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #11103
cae93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Finally got around to fitting the carbon paddles I've had for nearly a year. After some difficult experiences with airbag connectors and an inherent wish not to remove the steering wheel I was finally convinced that I could do the swap with the wheel in place. Turns out it was pretty straightforward.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #11104
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Ceramic coated my wheels with Adams.. I'm sick of brake dust, hopefully it helps at least with washing the barrels when the wheels are on the car..

Then I got carried away ceramic coating some other shit around the house..

It should help a lot. Coatings aren't magic so don't expect them to be that. That's a big thing people seem to get wrong and the marketing tends to lean towards the side of making the products seem like magic. It will help a lot and I find that I don't even need to use any kind of special wheel cleaner either.

That said, the wheels, paint, etc will still take some effort to clean if you let it build up enough. You can use a pressure washer to blast off most of it if you're washing frequently but if you let it build up it won't just come off that easy without some agitation.

I've always said if I was going to coat one thing only on a car it would be wheels. They are the one thing I want to spend the least amount of time having to clean.
My trick is when I go to wash the car, I just don't wash the wheels. Then I spend no time at all!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #11105
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
This is what you mean:

Quote:
like it has been pointed out, many will not keep the car long enough to benefit from the lifetime replacement on most of the parts
and many will not bother returning certain items
and yes, that is what FCP is banking on to make this work and still make a profit

it's working for them because i have purchased other items (non-returnable) along with my oil kit
plus some parts I have ordered, I will probably never need a replacement

but you're judging me and my actions as being UNETHICAL for following FCP EURO's business model and instructions ??
FCP set the standards here so why are you judging me according to yours?
that's why i'm taking issue with your responses

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #11106
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Yes I know how their model works, but that doesn't mean I can't think it's silly and wasteful to ship back used (and potentially leaking) oil, regardless if they allow it or not. It's really no different than the example of returning items to Nordstrom - sure they allow it, but really? I think it's worse when people buy oil/consumables from them but not other parts. At least you do all of your shopping there to balance out the returned oil, so don't take this personally. But we agree that their model only works if most people don't bother to return things like used oil. Which means that if everybody only bought/returned oil, it wouldn't work out for very long. Thus, some think it's okay because others will not do it. That's akin to a tragedy of the commons or prisoner's dilemma situation.
We've both said our piece on this, so probably best to leave it at that.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #11107
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
My trick is when I go to wash the car, I just don't wash the wheels. Then I spend no time at all!
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that is just not going to happen. I have had my wheels coated with Gtechniq C5, then with Crystal Serum, then with whatever else Gtechniq told me to. It just doesn't work. It does help, a lot, but you do need to scrub the wheels, specially the barrels, if you want them to be really clean.
I am going to recoat them again within a week or two, anyways (it's been over a year). However, I have the 359M (black) wheels and I do believe that the silver wheels would benefit of the coating a lot more due to the clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #11108
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
like it has been pointed out, many will not keep the car long enough to benefit from the lifetime replacement on most of the parts
and many will not bother returning certain items
and yes, that is what FCP is banking on to make this work and still make a profit

it's working for them because i have purchased other items (non-returnable) along with my oil kit
plus some parts I have ordered, I will probably never need a replacement

but you're judging me and my actions as being UNETHICAL for following FCP EURO's business model and instructions ??
FCP set the standards here so why are you judging me according to yours?
that's why i'm taking issue with your responses
Laws/policies/etc. sometimes are just wrong. Depending on your address in the world there are a whole list of things any first world country condems, but it perfectly legal in that location. So you cannot just blanketly say I am following their policy to say you are right.

You want to put a bag of used 10w-60 in a box and send it to FCP like that Instagram picture shows, be my guest. I didn't say you could not. You sound to be taking too much offense to this discussion.

Whether you approve of the policy or disapprove, you can at least accept that is weird.

You mention you purchased other items that are not returnable to them? What the heck are they selling that is not returnable but 8 liters of used oil in a bag is?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #11109
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I think their warranty is a smart model and a competition advantage with considerable barriers that mitigate "abuse" unlike REI, LL Bean, Patagonia, Nordstrom's etc. Unless you're in CT, no psychical stores...

1. Most items are rarely discounted more than 5%. This alone may fund the warranty program which is likely less than 1% of revenue.
2. It Incentivizes accelerated purchase decisions for both planned and impulses. Faster turnover = better working cash position.
3. Most of their customers (German import owners) are not sweating the return hassle to get a few dollars back.

I don't feel badly about exercising the warranty for anything, and do try to patronize them for all parts possible.

I assume you were being facetious about the oil directly in bags? Or they've changed their policy but I believe items must be in their respective containers. There's no reason this should be messy or leak...
      12-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #11110
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Laws/policies/etc. sometimes are just wrong. Depending on your address in the world there are a whole list of things any first world country condems, but it perfectly legal in that location. So you cannot just blanketly say I am following their policy to say you are right.

You want to put a bag of used 10w-60 in a box and send it to FCP like that Instagram picture shows, be my guest. I didn't say you could not. You sound to be taking too much offense to this discussion.

Whether you approve of the policy or disapprove, you can at least accept that is weird.

You mention you purchased other items that are not returnable to them? What the heck are they selling that is not returnable but 8 liters of used oil in a bag is?
They sell hand soap :^) and items like Ceratec I believe.