BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
ApolloAudio
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Humming\Vibration in the pedals

Hi all -

Recently started getting a weird humming\vibration (like a phone or xbox controller) when in gear and coming off speed, either while braking or not.

The feel comes thru the pedals and the shifter, but not the steering wheel.

The sound is akin to a power steering pump a tad low on fluid(checked that too).

The noise and vibration aren't tied to engine speed or wheel speed, just deceleration of any kind, in gear and out of gear. The car doesn't handle any different, doesn't brake any different, just this insane humming\vibration.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Your motor mounts .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
ApolloAudio
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Your motor mounts.

I've been leaning that way too, wasn't sure though.

I noticed on my way back from lunch today that it seems to be more present when turning to the left slightly, which made me want to think a wheel hub or something akin to that, but I didn't think I'd have the same frequency vibration\hum at different speeds.

I noticed I can reproduce it easily, specifically in cruise control, 6th gear, 50 MPH, 2k RPM, turning slightly left. Though it happens all over the range, in gear or not, unless I'm on the gas in any way.

Almost feels like a bad coil, but nowhere near as aggressive or shaky, and doesn't actually affect the performance of the engine in any way.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloAudio View Post
I've been leaning that way too, wasn't sure though.

I noticed on my way back from lunch today that it seems to be more present when turning to the left slightly, which made me want to think a wheel hub or something akin to that, but I didn't think I'd have the same frequency vibration\hum at different speeds.

I noticed I can reproduce it easily, specifically in cruise control, 6th gear, 50 MPH, 2k RPM, turning slightly left. Though it happens all over the range, in gear or not, unless I'm on the gas in any way.

Almost feels like a bad coil, but nowhere near as aggressive or shaky, and doesn't actually affect the performance of the engine in any way.
Strange . If it were your motor mounts , you should feel also vibrations through the cabin .
Think your situation is for your local BMW/Dealer ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0