BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Space Gray

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=digi;9654170]Yes, dropping 70k on a car calls for perfection. Do we sometimes get unlucky and the car is less than perfect( sorry but in your case it's down right unacceptable), unfortunately so. People with different thresholds of understanding and patience will react accordingly. Buuuut if that was my car, I'd be going apesh*t!!!!!@
      05-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #24
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

It actually looks to me like a mess up in transport. I mean little dings, misaligned body parts, out taillights. sounds like it got bounced around in transport or abused by the dealer. On another note, ever drive a range rover? Bot one a few years ago and was buggy as all hell, eventually had to get rid of it and bot the X5, and that was a car noth of $100k. A buddy of mine managed a bentley/lambo dealership and almost all the cars over $200k had multiple issues. My car runs like a champ, no creaks, I beat the shit out of it and love every minute of it. This car could have no bodywork at all and I would forget about that the second I pushed past 6K Life's too short, don't sweat the small stuff
      05-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #25
_Jono_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT, 2012 GTR, Speed3

The light problem happend with me too. They couldnt fix it. Didnt know what was wrong. It was on and off happening
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #26
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iToy View Post
Just picked my car up on the 17th of mya 2011. Noticed some issues with it and I am not happy. The quality of the car is not up to par with what I would expect from a $70,000+ vehicle. I am really disappointed in BMW. Yes I do have a warrenty, but I feel these issues should not have happened. These issues are with multiple stations on the assembly line and not just one area. BMW you need to do a better job!!! I might be anal, but this is not great workmanship or quality control. Makes me wonder what else did they did half-assed. I really do not want a lemon. this is my 3rd BMW and I was hoping the best, makes me wonder.

1. The front driver side fender was out of alignment. The dealer adjusted it, not perfect but better.

2. The rear lights on the driver side not working. see attached pic.

3. The rear spoiler was installed crooked. see attached pic.

4. About a 1/2 cm divot in the paint on the passengers side door. see attached pic. Look for the discoloration in the photo.

5. Stains on the leather in the back seat. see attached pic. This has been coorected at the dealership. Not perfect but better.

I have a service appointed on May 20, 2011. I hope they can correct these problems.
Did you notice this stuff before or after taking delivery? If before, why didn't you just walk away from the deal? If after, why didn't you properly inspect the car before taking delivery?

Agree though that these kind of issues should not happen on a $70,000 car. Hand built cars, however, are even worse. Do you know how many flaws and flimsy parts you find on a Ferrari? It would shock you.

Of modern mass produced cars, Porsche probably has the highest build quality followed by the Japanese.
      05-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #27
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Did you notice this stuff before or after taking delivery? If before, why didn't you just walk away from the deal? If after, why didn't you properly inspect the car before taking delivery?

Agree though that these kind of issues should not happen on a $70,000 car. Hand built cars, however, are even worse. Do you know how many flaws and flimsy parts you find on a Ferrari? It would shock you.

Of modern mass produced cars, Porsche probably has the highest build quality followed by the Japanese.
I dunno about the OP, but I'm generally busy taking everything in and enjoying the moment to check everything over with a microscope.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #28
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

My Porsche had more rattles than any BMW, Honda, Acura, Mini Cooper I have ever driven...all cars have poor quality control at times...all my M's have been rock solid from interior quality standpoint, but the electronics and thermostat housing, that is a different matter....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #29
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
all my M's have been rock solid from interior quality standpoint, but the electronics and thermostat housing, that is a different matter....
As well as main bearing quality control .
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #30
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
All I am saying is, these things are not worth ruining his first few days experience with this car, after all its just a car.
Quote:
You should really treat it as a car not a human being
i will have to make sure "El-Superbeasto" doesnt hear this... i have better conversations with my car during a wash/wax than i do with most human beings...

and i agree with op. you want to make sure everything is perfect. this is the first car i have ordered and waited for. the psychological strain of waiting for weeks/months after researching, finally deciding what you want and then doing it... well its very high. so you have an expectation, and then it shows up and has things wrong, no matter how minute to everyone else... that just sucks. i was lucky and didnt find anything bad other than the warning triangle wasnt mounted. (dealer freaked and will have it installed at 1200 service) get it fixed! its your sweet sweet ride!

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 05-22-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #31
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

1. fender issue is pretty common, easily fixable, BMW probably figured out it happens to a minority, and a cheap fix. No excuse in my book, but no biggie.

2. defect light bulb? bad wiring? sorry you drew the short straw.

3. it's obvious the deck spoiler is a hand installed item, such is the issue with handmade/installed items. You drew the short straw.

4. check out this thread, you might have been resprayed after shipping
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=prep+center
unfortunate? yes. but come on unless its a Ferrari and you're willing to pay $1500 for delivery fee, it happens to every car that's mass produced and shipped.

5. can't explain, could have been anyone at the prep center/dealership. People probably climb in and out of your car at the prep center/dealership for anything. Was your car picked off a lot or special ordered? if it was picked off the lot, it's the dealer's fault for not cleaning it and throughly inspecting it for cleaniness before selling it. I feel BMW dealers are notorious for this issue, my friend got a used 328 from a dealer and we open up the arm rest and there's like spilled coke in it...wtf at least clean that shit up.

Last edited by mdosu; 05-22-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #32
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Not acceptable for a 70k car. The QC Inspector should get a ding for this. I'm sure BMW hires a person for only M cars to do a walk around inspection before the car is signed off. I guess your car was built on a Monday morning, GL w everything
      05-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #33
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post

I dunno about the OP, but I'm generally busy taking everything in and enjoying the moment to check everything over with a microscope.

It was a PCD delivery. I did not noticed these things as I was trying to enjoy the experience.
      05-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Quote:
All I am saying is, these things are not worth ruining his first few days experience with this car, after all its just a car.
Quote:
You should really treat it as a car not a human being
i will have to make sure "El-Superbeasto" doesnt hear this... i have better conversations with my car during a wash/wax than i do with most human beings...

and i agree with op. you want to make sure everything is perfect. this is the first car i have ordered and waited for. the psychological strain of waiting for weeks/months after researching, finally deciding what you want and then doing it... well its very high. so you have an expectation, and then it shows up and has things wrong, no matter how minute to everyone else... that just sucks. i was lucky and didnt find anything bad other than the warning triangle wasnt mounted. (dealer freaked and will have it installed at 1200 service) get it fixed! its your sweet sweet ride!
Well said
      05-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #35
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=mdosu;9656392]1. fender issue is pretty common, easily fixable, BMW probably figured out it happens to a minority, and a cheap fix. No excuse in my book, but no biggie.

2. defect light bulb? bad wiring? sorry you drew the short straw.

3. it's obvious the deck spoiler is a hand installed item, such is the issue with handmade/installed items. You drew the short straw.

4. check out this thread, you might have been resprayed after shipping
[url]http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425763
      05-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #36
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

haha the spoiler cracks me up.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #37
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
Not acceptable for a 70k car. The QC Inspector should get a ding for this. I'm sure BMW hires a person for only M cars to do a walk around inspection before the car is signed off. I guess your car was built on a Monday morning, GL w everything
Thanks, that is the point I am trying to make. Someone should have checked the lights, as a safety check at least. Whoever installed the spoiler needs some extra training.

I am sad to see so many people thinking these issues are ok. Maybe that could be part of the problem. If we the consumer accept these mistakes as ok they will continued to be made. It is disheartening to see so many people say "oh that problem always happens, the fenders never lineup". Just as an example the incorrectly installed spoiler. BMW could easily have a simple template made that would enable a spoiler to be installed correctly everytime. If a mistake is made, retrain the individual who made that mistake. So now BMW will pay to have my spoiler removed and installed correctly. At least an hour or more of labor. This does not even included all of the involved parties (CA,SA, BMWNA, etc) time wasted on a simple mistake. These cost impact us the consumer.

I am just expressing my feelings that the quality is not what I expect. No matter the manufactor or price.

Hell yeah I am going to enjoy my car. I will just have that little doubt in the back of my head "Mustang Boss 302". Cheaper, faster and built to the same or better quality of a BMW....j/k
      05-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #38
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

I completely understand your frustration. During the first 2 months after purchase I had the following issues:

1) I noticed the 3rd brake light slightly drooping down. Dealer had to replace entire rear window on my brand new car. They claimed it's BMW policy and the only way to fix the brake light is to replace the entire window.

2) Junction box electronics crashed causing car to stall and then go into limp mode in the middle of a busy intersection. I was so f'ing pist off. Car was at dealer 4 days until they could find the part.

3) Rear brake light went out. Dealer claims there was previously some type of recall on the brake lights.

4) Idrive nob came loose. Needs to be replaced.

Also, this year my O2 sensor had to be replaced.

Coating on steering wheel around the buttons started peeling like crazy. This was replaced.

We had a $18000 toyota as a commuter car for 4 years and never had a SINGLE issue. I know the BMW is a more sophisticated machine and hence more prone to developing problems. However, I find this unacceptable, esp. that soon after purchase. I know many have cars with high mileage and minimal issues, but these types of problems point to a QC problem BMW needs to address. Mine is an 08 so it's sad to hear that this is still happening. Overall I still love the car so I'm trying to decide whether I want a 2011 vs keeping this car. Thus the pros of this car far outweigh the cons. I do know that I don't want a ticking time bomb without an extended warranty as I see future expensive repairs in the horizon and I only have about 22,000 miles. Maybe BMW knows this and it may explain why they are not spending more money on QC. My last 3 series treated me pretty well so I hope I'm luckier with my next purchase.

Last edited by erio; 05-23-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #39
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

They must of built your M3 on a Monday morning...lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #40
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

I know, they must have had a big celebration party the night before building your car. Maybe a few hangovers? LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #41
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I completely understand your frustration. During the first 2 months after purchase I had the following issues:

1) I noticed the 3rd brake light slightly drooping down. Dealer had to replace entire rear window on my brand new car. They claimed it's BMW policy and the only way to fix the brake light is to replace the entire window.

2) Junction box electronics crashed causing car to stall and then go into limp mode in the middle of a busy intersection. I was so f'ing pist off. Car was at dealer 4 days until they could find the part.

3) Rear brake light went out. Dealer claims there was previously some type of recall on the brake lights.

4) Idrive nob came loose. Needs to be replaced.

Also, this year my O2 sensor had to be replaced.

Coating on steering wheel around the buttons started peeling like crazy. This was replaced.

We had a $18000 toyota as a commuter car for 4 years and never had a SINGLE issue. I know the BMW is a more sophisticated machine and hence more prone to developing problems. However, I find this unacceptable, esp. that soon after purchase. I know many have cars with high mileage and minimal issues, but these types of problems point to a QC problem BMW needs to address. Mine is an 08 so it's sad to hear that this is still happening. Overall I still love the car so I'm trying to decide whether I want a 2011 vs keeping this car. Thus the pros of this car far outweigh the cons. I do know that I don't want a ticking time bomb without an extended warranty as I see future expensive repairs in the horizon and I only have about 22,000 miles. Maybe BMW knows this and it may explain whey they are not spending more money on QC. My last 3 series treated me pretty well so I hope I'm luckier with my next purchase.
wow that's quite a list
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #42
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
wow that's quite a list
Tell me about it. For the last 10,000 or so it's been trouble free. I hope it stays that way.

Last edited by erio; 05-23-2011 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0